Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Justice League **Spoilers from post 980 onward**

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Penn wrote: »
    Again, from what I've read Whedon was already working with Snyder before March helping out with script changes. I'd strongly assume the Batgirl deal was already done by that stage (think when it was first announced it was claimed the deal had been done a few months prior) and just waiting to be announced (maybe waiting until Comic-Con). If anything, I'd say they announced the Whedon news in March to detract attention away from Snyder's family tragedy.

I'd be happy enough to take what they're saying at face value, especially since Snyder himself said he wanted to get back to work but once he did, he realised his family needed him more and that he needed them too.

Obviously I'm just speculating here and we probably won't get a better idea of went happened until Whedon etc are asked about it, but the Whedon/Batgirl deal happened quickly, the project originating within a month of the announcement, which was the end of March. Whether that was before or after Snyder's daughter died we don't know.

Jump forward to this week and according to Deadline, Whedon had been collaborating with Snyder for the "past month after the death [of his daughter]". And the Hollywood Reporter, without any reference to dates, says Snyder brought Whedon onboard to write the scenes but then decided against leaving home to shoot them. So unless there's other sources claiming otherwise, it sounds to me like Whedon's involvement in JL came after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

JL tv spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,543 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Junkie_XL is a lot older than you would think a man who goes by the name Junkie_XL would be.

https://twitter.com/Junkie_XL/status/875159566689775616

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

Gets weirder and weirder. Again, I shudder to think what the final price tag will be.

• Advertisement

Joss did the same late on with Avengers 2 and Elfman. It's weird changing composers so late in the game.

I'd be surprised if even someone as good as Elfman can turn in a really memorable score with so little time. Nothing stood out in Avengers 2 under the same circumstances.

Joss did the same late on with Avengers 2 and Elfman. It's weird changing composers so late in the game.

I'd be surprised if even someone as good as Elfman can turn in a really memorable score with so little time. Nothing stood out in Avengers 2 under the same circumstances.

I somewhat think that is planned with Marvel movies.

The excellent YouTube channel, Every Frame a Painting, which you should look into if you're interested in movies, did a video on just this and how Marvel movies just seem to not have any distinct or memorable scores.

Yeah, I'm subbed already. It's an excellent video.

I do wish sometimes Marvel would take more risks but it's working so well for them right now why would they.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,195 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Wish Hans Zimmer was doing score, Elfman better fit a ode to the 1989 theme in there somewhere.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Nice payday for Elfman in-between Burton collaborations, but I assume he's just doing variations on Hans & Junkie's themes for MoS/BvS. Snyder or his editor probably had the whole film temped already.

• Advertisement

Elfman always seemed to excel at more upbeat and instantly recognisable themes. I imagine whatever Joss is doing in terms of editing/reshoots requires a different type of sound.

Wouldn't be surprised if Elfman produces a new Batman and/or Superman specific theme.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I won't lie, that video started and all I could sing was

"Iron Man, Iron Man, does whatever an Iron can...."

Ben Gadot wrote: »
    Elfman always seemed to excel at more upbeat and instantly recognisable themes. I imagine whatever Joss is doing in terms of editing/reshoots requires a different type of sound.

Wouldn't be surprised if Elfman produces a new Batman and/or Superman specific theme.

I'd love a new Batman theme but I think the Man of Steel one should stay.

I'd love a new Batman theme but I think the Man of Steel one should stay.

I like the MOS one as well but like Zimmer's TDK trilogy score it hits a height briefly and moves on. Brilliant scores but not easy ones to hum along to.

At the very least I suspect Clark's triumphant return will have Elfman all over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

I thought, for the most part, Zimmer's work on TDK trilogy was very forgettable when it wasn't just poor. Not a fan of Elfman since the 90s either but he might at least bring some vibrancy.

Weirdly compelled by Superman's theme in MOS though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

I couldn't see a standalone thread for The Batman so just posting this here;

EDIT: Found the DC Universe thread so posted there too.
    The Batman Director Tosses Affleck's Script, Starting from Scratch

The Batman director Matt Reeves has revealed that he has decided to start from scratch on the project, leaving Ben Affleck's original script behind. A lot of changes have been happening behind the scenes on The Batman, and while at first the changes may have been seen as detrimental, it now appears that the movie is finally on the right track. Reeves has been out promoting his latest movie, the excellent War for the Planet of the Apes over the last few weeks and he's been talking a lot about his involvement in The Batman and his vision for the Dark Knight.

Reeves was recently on MTV's Happy Sad Confused podcast where he revealed his plans to start fresh for The Batman. The director was asked if he would be working off of Affleck's original script and he said that he would not. Reeves explains.

"No. It's a new story. It's just starting again. I'm excited about it. I think it's going to be really cool."
    Not much information has ever been revealed about the original script other than Ben Affleck, Chris Terrio, and Geoff Johns wrote it, and that Affleck wanted to use a villain that had not been seen on the big screen before.

Reeves has been drawing comparisons between War for the Planet of the Apes' Caesar and Bruce Wayne, calling them both "damaged characters who are grappling to do the right thing in a very imperfect world. A world that is filled with all of the corruption that is human." The director has also taken time to praise Christopher Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy for bringing a seriousness and maturity to the comic book movie genre, something that he his obviously hoping to do with his version of the Caped Crusader.

The director has also talked about combining Nolan's sense of "something more" with a look into the character that has not been seen yet. Citing Hitchcock as an influence, Reeves appears to want to give fans a peak into the psyche of Batman, what it's like in his head, which has gotten many fans excited. This has also lead to speculation that we might get to see the return of Batman's detective roots, a skill that has been relatively ignored on the big screen aside from the Wayne Tech toys that seem to do all of the work for him.

Matt Reeves latest reveal about The Batman may have just thrown all of the former speculation out the window, especially when it comes to choosing a villain. As stated before, Affleck wanted a villain that hadn't been represented on the big screen yet. Deathstroke seemed to be the choice at the time, but it is unclear where the villain role will go at this time. Though Josh Gad has been seen around the DC offices, even posing for a picture holding a copy of a comic book with the Penguin on the cover. Will Penguin be the main villain? We'll just have to sit back and wait. In the meantime, Ben Affleck will be appearing at the San Diego Comic-Con next week for the Warner Bros. panel on Justice League another movie that has seen a bit of behind the scenes changes.

Link

NUTZZ wrote: »
    I couldn't see a standalone thread for The Batman so just posting this here;

EDIT: Found the DC Universe thread so posted there too.

Link

No problem with that, at this stage they might as well give Reeves every opportunity to succeed. Will be interesting to see what gets canned.

Pro : It's good to see a director given the power to make the film he wants to make.

Con : I really wanted to see Affleck's take on a Batman story.

Hopefully this is it now though and they can just get down to making the film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I have to agree that is a con for me as well I was really looking forward to seeing Affleck's take.

Not a fan of his acting but a huge fan of his directing and I think he would have done a fine job.

Poster from Comic con. I really like this one.

20228946_10155012385826633_4462342099736811484_n.jpg?oh=b7aad5663a7b77fdc28ef450e7e1894a&oe=59F2BC2A

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,543 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

New Comic Con trailer is out lads. I am love with it. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭fluke

New Comic Con trailer is out lads. I am love with it. :D

Who may 'not be too late'?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

fluke wrote: »

Think its superman

But would be cool if it was Martian Manhunter

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

fluke wrote: »

Superman, obvs.

Grand trailer, one thing I didn't like about it was the "Superman was a beacon, blah blah". From the two films that he was in, Superman was an a***hole in opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

Trailer spoilers:
    Can't believe they actually restrained themselves from showing Superman. Definitely Aquabro instead of Aquaman but I can live with it.
    Think I'll enjoy Flash and Gordon (slight pun slightly intended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭fluke

CatInABox wrote: »
    Superman, obvs.

Grand trailer, one thing I didn't like about it was the "Superman was a beacon, blah blah". From the two films that he was in, Superman was an a***hole in opinion.

Nice :rolleyes:

Think its superman

But would be cool if it was Martian Manhunter

Almost certain its Superman alright but outside shoot of it being Green Lantern? It does say earlier in the trailer Earth is vulnerable because "No lanterns and no kryptonian".

What would be cool is if they keep that as a mystery until release.

CatInABox wrote: »
    Superman, obvs.

Yeah he only sacrificed his life to save the world at the end of the last one. Second time in 2 films he saved the world. Nobody would respect that though.

There's no way in that Martian Manhunter makes it into the movie for most of the same reasons he's not on the team in the comics. Him and Superman together are to OP and there will always be Superman.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

Wasn't gone on momoa at first especially the warrior Aquaman Vs the blonde surfer dude hes meant to be but I think the gritty warrior thing night actually work ya know in fact I think it might help make Aquaman more popular with cinema goers

As a side note great to see that black dude that plays Cyborgs father haven't really seen him since T2 :D

Wasn't gone on momoa at first especially the warrior Aquaman Vs the blonde surfer dude hes meant to be but I think the gritty warrior thing night actually work ya know in fact I think it might help make Aquaman more popular with cinema goers

As a side note great to see that black dude that plays Cyborgs father haven't really seen him since T2 :D

He's always been closer to a warrior than to a surfer dude.

He's a king. That's what he is, his first goal is always Atlantis. His current arc in the comics really illustrates that.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Yeah he only sacrificed his life to save the world at the end of the last one. Second time in 2 films he saved the world. Nobody would respect that though.

Oh, it's nothing to do with his actions in either film, sorry, it's more a personal opinion on the films themselves. I'm think that Snyder went down a "Dark Superman" path with his films, and totally missed the point of what Superman is. He made him seem reluctant to help, which is the total opposite of what I think Superman show be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,007 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Still in the "meh" camp for me. Is the bad guy in the trailer
    Steppenwolf
    ?

Still in the "meh" camp for me. Is the bad guy in the trailer
    Steppenwolf
    ?

Yes.

I suppose a slight Spoiler for the trailer ahead in the next post. So if you don't want to know who Alfred was speaking to look away now...

20246404_748352825334754_4155276110671017529_n.jpg?oh=56b9864d236fa466eb9a6b33c6e729fc&oe=5A04276C

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

The humour aspect of the film feels really stale, just seems to be the same self aware type of jokes in all these comic book films apart from Deadpool I guess.

This trailer is miles better than the previous one. Still looks like it's gonna suck though...
    siblers wrote: »
    The humour aspect of the film feels really stale, just seems to be the same self aware type of jokes in all these comic book films apart from Deadpool I guess.

Apart from Deadpool? Deadpool has more self aware humour than the rest combined, it just did it better.

Hmm.

Something interesting:

It mentions the Green Lantern somehow - can't remember the exact phrasing, but maybe Lantern Corp. Were they ever mentioned in the previous entries in the current JL movie universe?

It looks like it'll be good fun, but that's about it.

Hmm.

Something interesting:

It mentions the Green Lantern somehow - can't remember the exact phrasing, but maybe Lantern Corp. Were they ever mentioned in the previous entries in the current JL movie universe?

It looks like it'll be good fun, but that's about it.

They weren't. The phrasing is "... no Lanterns.... no Kryptonian..."

Seems kind of a lazy and uninspired way to introduce the upcoming Green Lantern movie in 2020.

• Advertisement

Seems kind of a lazy and uninspired way to introduce the upcoming Green Lantern movie in 2020.

I mean... pretty much everything about this universe is lazy and uninspired...

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Can only assume Batman recently re-watched Donner's Superman movies or the animated series from his speech about Superman :pac:

I reckon a lot of Whedon's reshoots were just about providing one-liners that could be used in the trailers.

It's just a line to set up the fact that earth's Green Lantern is gone??? I presume we start the Green Lantern movie from that starting point and Hal Jordan being picked by the ring as earth's next Lantern.

I mean if they didn't say anything everyone would have been like "where's green lantern while all this is going down".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭tony stark

This looks worse than batman vs superman. How can so much money be spent on such rubbish ideas. They've destroyed DC on film. Pity as Afflecks good as Batman. Love ops like a computer game. Throw in some awful cheese jokes to "lighten the mood". It's not like the dc movies are genuinely dark a la Burtons movies, just rubbish dark cinematography and lightening to mask the rubbish computer graphics. Compare this trailer up to new Thor which you can forgive the effects for because the characters are given room. I was always a dc boy growing up. It's ruined for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I can only really echo my thoughts from the first trailer; It has potential, but still looks too dark (visually). Everything is just grey, blue, dark grey & grey. Aquaman looks f*cking awesome though and I really can't wait to see him in the film.

I also did laugh at The Flash's line about pushing people out of the way and stuff, but I'm not sure if that characterisation will work in the film for someone who is supposed to be a member of the Justice League. Be interesting to see how he works in the film as a whole. Perhaps Batman is mentoring him throughout the film which could help soften Batman's character too, so it could all work together really well if that's what they're going for.

Cyborg taking over Batman's ship thing... that was pretty good too in fairness.

Surprised they didn't just reveal Superman in the trailer though. There's absolutely no point in hiding it or alluding to it. Everyone... already... f*cking... knows he's in it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Despite Joss Whedon's pedigree, I can't help shake the feeling this may yet become an even bigger mess than Suicide Squad: it has the benefit of maybe coasting on the charisma of its brightest stars alone (basically, Affleck and Gadot, with the latter possibly muscling her way into the position of #1 asset in the DCEU) , but between the tragically enforced directorial shake-up, the less-than-stellar CV of Synder in the first place, Whedon's snarky additions to the script potentially demolishing any semblance of consistency of tone, the obviously crowbarred attempt to force a team-up film without the ground-work; then add all the inevitable meddling by DC/WB and you could yet end up with another disaster.

The latest trailer does nothing to quell this either; it looks as messy and incoherent as all the other DCEU films - again, bar Wonder Woman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

The trailer does not inspire me at all... How can DC/Warner Bros get things so wrong...
    except for AquaBro... he looks like he'll be good craic...

Penn wrote: »
    I can only really echo my thoughts from the first trailer; It has potential, but still looks too dark (visually). Everything is just grey, blue, dark grey & grey. Aquaman looks f*cking awesome though and I really can't wait to see him in the film.

I also did laugh at The Flash's line about pushing people out of the way and stuff, but I'm not sure if that characterisation will work in the film for someone who is supposed to be a member of the Justice League. Be interesting to see how he works in the film as a whole. Perhaps Batman is mentoring him throughout the film which could help soften Batman's character too, so it could all work together really well if that's what they're going for.

Cyborg taking over Batman's ship thing... that was pretty good too in fairness.

Surprised they didn't just reveal Superman in the trailer though. There's absolutely no point in hiding it or alluding to it. Everyone... already... f*cking... knows he's in it.

Yeah I definitely see Batman and Flash's relationship to be similar to Iron Man and Spidermans in the MCU. Guess that's what happens when you cast one role as older than usual and the other as younger than usual. Still I think it will work just as the MCU one does.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

• Advertisement
Advertisement