Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Justice League **Spoilers from post 980 onward**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭ThePott

Assuming it's all Knightmare stuff then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Huh, I think I'd have preferred the colour version; just feels like they threw a B&W filter over the footage without bringing any strong use of light & shadow. The Lighthouse it ain't lol :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,258 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Now there's a set of clothes you don't want to put on inside-out :D

• Advertisement

pixelburp wrote: »
    Now there's a set of clothes you don't want to put on inside-out :D

Bit disappointed as I was hoping for the more alien design but ah well.

Have to laugh at Snyder as he called Suicide Squad "video-gamey" in an interview yet his designs so far I've found only so-so CGI fests.

Jesus that design is dreadful, as much as the original one was a trainwreck it was simple and not overwrought like the new one.
    Gotta laugh at the "new" trailer as well.

Zack wants this in Black and White, the movie wasn't filmed with that intention, it's pointless and doesn't look especially impressive with the lack of colour. I don't understand why he would want it in B&W

ThePott wrote: »
    Jesus that design is dreadful, as much as the original one was a trainwreck it was simple and not overwrought like the new one.
    Gotta laugh at the "new" trailer as well.

Zack wants this in Black and White, the movie wasn't filmed with that intention, it's pointless and doesn't look especially impressive with the lack of colour. I don't understand why he would want it in B&W

It's especially odd as it's not like Synder is some amateur chump who wouldn't know better; whatever else one says of the man, his films always look quite slick. The B&W here doesn't work 'cos, as you say, it wasn't filmed with that intent.

It's especially odd as it's not like Synder is some amateur chump who wouldn't know better; whatever else one says of the man, his films always look quite slick. The B&W here doesn't work 'cos, as you say, it wasn't filmed with that intent.
    Absolutely he should and does know better. This is like film school amateur level stuff to just put it in black and white as if it gives it some significance. I guess Zach has always had a certain washed out look to his films and sort of detested the bubble gum look of superhero but this is ridiculous.

At least with something like Logan, the black and white visuals suited the Western vibes of the film and even in that case not all the shots suited the Noir look.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭macslash

Is the whole movie going to be in black and white??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I presumed the B&W was to hide the sh1tty special effects that we had in the original version. I presume the whole movie isn't in B&W

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Aren't we getting the black Superman suit in this version, B&W would completely make take away the impact of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭macslash

From further investigation there will be a B&W version and a normal version in full colour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,604 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Justice League’: WarnerMedia Says It’s Concluded Investigation, ‘Remedial Action’ Taken
    WarnerMedia said in a statement on Friday evening that it’s concluded its investigation into the set of “Justice League.”

“WarnerMedia’s investigation into the ‘Justice League’ movie has concluded and remedial action has been taken,” the statement reads.

It’s unclear what the “remedial action” entails, and WarnerMedia declined to give further details when pressed by Variety.

In August, Variety learned that WarnerMedia launched an investigation into the DC Comics movie after one of the film’s stars, Ray Fisher, publicly accused filmmaker Joss Whedon and producers Geoff Johns and Jon Berg of misconduct on the set.

Fisher tweeted about the news on Friday, saying he was sent the following statement on behalf on WarnerMedia: “WarnerMedia appreciates you having the courage to come forward and assist the company with creating an inclusive and equitable work environment for it’s employees and partners.”

“There are still conversations that need to be had and resolutions that need to be found,” the actor added. Regarding the “remedial action,” Fisher wrote, “some we’ve seen, and some that is still to come

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/justice-league-investigation-warnermedia-ray-fisher-joss-whedon-1234852206/

Fisher implying the reason Joss left The Nevers is what I take from that.

Man, the rubbernecker in me would love to know the gory details that necessitated this "remedial action" in the first place. You'd have to wonder if this is basically Whedons career dead in the water: I'd long wondered if this schtick had worn out its welcome anyway, a writer from a bygone era whose directing left a lot to be desired. If he's now persona non Grata at WB it could be a while before he headlines a gig (well, there's as good a chance now of Netflix opening their checkbook, as they're want to do)

When you think about it what was Whedon really up to as a director before Marvel needed reliable hand to manage a key ensemble film.

At that point he was working more on comics than behind the camera after Dollhouse was nixed.

He was never in demand really bar that brief dalliance WB/DC had with him so his career has hardly gone down in flames because it was never alight in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Rob2D

I heard something about this a while back. What exactly did Joss do?

Rob2D wrote: »
    I heard something about this a while back. What exactly did Joss do?

AFAIK nobody knows "exactly", so this is just me speculating without any firm knowledge but I get the impression he was a bit of an abusive prick on the set with people - Ray Fisher seemingly the brunt of a lot of it. I'm not aware there was any sexual element to the abuse. The reading between the lines is that Whedon was sacked from his new show "The Nevers" as part of "remedial action" taken by Warner Brothers.

Snyder is also remastering and restoring the IMAX aspect ratio to Batman vs Superman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,543 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Exclusive: Zack Snyder's Justice League might get R-rated theatrical release

Zack Snyder is looking to bring his highly anticipated director's cut of Justice League to the big screen — and his new footage would likely tip the four-hour opus into an R-rating.

"Here's one piece of information nobody knows: The movie is insane and so epic and is probably rated R — that's one thing I think will happen, that it will be an R-rated version, for sure," Snyder tells EW. "We haven't heard from the MPAA, but that's my gut."

Asked for details about what makes the new footage explicit, Snyder reveals, "There's one scene where Batman drops an F-bomb. Cyborg is not too happy with what's going on with his life before he meets the Justice League, and he tends to speak his mind. And Steppenwolf is pretty much just hacking people in half. So [the rating would be due to] violence and profanity, probably both."

Perhaps an even bolder move than a cussing Dark Knight is Snyder pushing for Warner Bros. to release his recut and supersized HBO Max film on the big screen in 2021, at a time when parent company WarnerMedia is trying to boost its nascent streaming service with as much exclusive content as possible. To be clear, a decision on whether to release the film theatrically has not yet been made, and Warner Bros. had no comment for this story. But Snyder has previously stated that adding a big-screen rollout along with the HBO Max release is his preference and now the director suggests steps are being taken in that direction.

"I'm a huge fan and a big supporter of the cinematic experience, and we're already talking about Justice League playing theatrically at the same time it's coming to HBO Max," Snyder says. "So weirdly, it's the reverse [of the trend]."

Warner Bros. is releasing every film on its 2021 slate on HBO Max at the same time as their theatrical release, a move that's drawn considerable criticism from filmmakers such as Christopher Nolan and Judd Apatow. Where did Snyder land on this polarizing issue? "It felt like a pretty bold move and that maybe the implication wasn't 100 percent thought out," he says. "I feel like there's a lot of people panicking during COVID. I hope that, in the end, that's what this was — some sort of knee-jerk to COVID and not some sort of greater move to disrupt the theatrical experience. I thought we were kind of already getting very close to the ideal theatrical window where you still had marketing material out there and you hadn't forgotten about the film by the time it came out on DVD or streaming. I thought we were starting to hone in on that sweet spot, but this kind of throws a monkey wrench in the works."

Snyder was the original director on Justice League and then stepped down from the project. Director Joss Whedon took over the film and shot new footage for the theatrical version released in 2017, which received a negative reception from fans and critics. After a massive fan lobbying campaign to "Release the Snyder Cut," WarnerMedia decided to fund Snyder's vision to rework the film into a limited series for HBO Max at a reported cost of up to $70 million. Snyder's new footage, shot over eight days, includes scenes with the core cast, including Ben Affleck (Batman) and Ray Fisher (Cyborg).

Zack Snyder's Justice League is coming to HBO Max as a four-part event series (and, hopefully, to theaters) in 2021.

Source: Entertainment Weekly

That's the kind of thing that worries me about Zack. He goes on about something as innocuous as a curse being the coolest thing ever.

Above all else I'm just hoping for a story that makes sense.

This entire project has strayed way into the over-egging of the pudding; "the Synder Cut" doesn't exist anymore, it's just some weird behemoth at this point...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

This entire project has strayed way into the over-egging of the pudding; "the Synder Cut" doesn't exist anymore, it's just some weird behemoth at this point...

That’s not necessarily a bad thing. Until I see it I will reserve judgment but perhaps the nature of how this is actually happening means Snyder is now able to push the boat out a lot more then he would originally been allowed. Perhaps some of the changes would not of been in his original plans because he would certainly not of starting the JL with an R rating in mind. In short, maybe he’s going wild because he can, it’s fascinating to see what he comes up with.

Drumpot wrote: »
    That’s not necessarily a bad thing. Until I see it I will reserve judgment but perhaps the nature of how this is actually happening means Snyder is now able to push the boat out a lot more then he would originally been allowed. Perhaps some of the changes would not of been in his original plans because he would certainly not of starting the JL with an R rating in mind. In short, maybe he’s going wild because he can, it’s fascinating to see what he comes up with.

I've seen enough cinema to have a personal theory that the more a director is indulged, the lesser the final product. Within reason like, there is a sweet spot cos excess external control is also poisonous; but it's funny how often great film was born from a degree of hardship or financial / creative restraint. Directors let off the leash - arguably seen with Netflix's bevvy of auteur films from Scorcese, Fincher and Bay, all given carte blanche - tend towards bagginess, bloating and occasionally being unwatchable.

So with this, I wonder if Synder is being given too much leeway. Obviously a huge "time will tell" caveat applies to an unreleased film - or miniseries, whatever this thing is - but precedent tells me things don't necessarily bode well either.

I've seen enough cinema to have a personal theory that the more a director is indulged, the lesser the final product. Within reason like, there is a sweet spot cos excess external control is also poisonous; but it's funny how often great film was born from a degree of hardship or financial / creative restraint. Directors let off the leash - arguably seen with Netflix's bevvy of auteur films from Scorcese, Fincher and Bay, all given carte blanche - tend towards bagginess, bloating and occasionally being unwatchable.

So with this, I wonder if Synder is being given too much leeway. Obviously a huge "time will tell" caveat applies to an unreleased film - or miniseries, whatever this thing is - but precedent tells me things don't necessarily bode well either.

When the studio made such a balls of JL , which was terrible to be fair, I find it hard to see how the Snyder cut will not be better to be honest. I think its nothing but a positive to see this cut being made and nobody loses out. The studio get to send out a tentpoll massive movie in cinema and subscription for a fraction of the cost of a blockbuster like it (they effectively already made most of JL twice, why not), the director gets to make the movie they wanted to make and fans get to see a potentially far superior JL movie. Whats not to like ?

But that aside, I think the subjective rating of this movie will boil down to people who enjoy Snyder movies and people who do not. Think of it like BvS, that I thought was a lot better then was received. The extended version made, in my view, an already epic movie better. You could say the extended version was more Snyder and it didn't change most peoples views much from the original. if you didnt like the original, the extended didnt make an awful lot of difference. I know this is a different beast, but the same logic applies in that those who dont like Snyders filmaking methods will fail to enjoy this. Some people remarkably thought the JL movie was better then BvS, with that sort of logic I do not see them enjoying the snyder cut on any level.

This is a general statement (not directed at you) but I do not get the snobbish dislike of Snyder (visual filmmaker). Kind of similar to Michael Bay, he's really good at what he does even if you don't like his movies. Snyder makes movies that I usually enjoy. I can enjoy all kinds of movies for different reasons but I reject a lot of the subjective criticism he gets (in this thread its evident). I still think Watchmen (extended cut) is one of the top 5 comicbook movies ever made.

[...]
    This is a general statement (not directed at you) but I do not get the snobbish dislike of Snyder (visual filmmaker). Kind of similar to Michael Bay, he's really good at what he does even if you don't like his movies. Snyder makes movies that I usually enjoy. I can enjoy all kinds of movies for different reasons but I reject a lot of the subjective criticism he gets (in this thread its evident). I still think Watchmen (extended cut) is one of the top 5 comicbook movies ever made.

That's kinda leaning into my point IMO: I think Michael Bay CAN make good movies; we know this ... cos he has - I daresay only the most snobbish would say otherwise TBH. His partnership with the late Don Simpson was arguably his high point, producing some genuinely excellent, albeit overblown entertainment. Maybe Transformers was the tipping point, maybe it was Pearl Harbour: either way, his fame and success increasingly created bloated, borderline unwatchable indulgences ... all culminating in 6 Underground - and absolute chaotic monstrosity of a movie. I'd rarely call something utter trash, but it was it, and saddening 'cos I know once upon a time Michael Bay made better movies than this.

The exact same can be said of Synder in my view; he's an auteur without any restraint applied to his work - which in the DC universe has yielded the same, overwrought "gods amongst men" theme. But we know he can create genuinely good movies 'cos like Bay ... he has. If you have enjoyed his latterday work then that's fair enough and we're not likely to meet in the middle; but for me, he's yet another creative auteur lost in the weeds of his own reputation, fame ... whatever we call it. As I said, Netflix have recently enabled this with some directors, while I also believe this is seen with someone like Quentin Tarantino.

IMO, behind every great director, there's a great editor / producer, reigning them in. This cut of Justice League increasingly smells like Synder's missing this sobering voice.

That's kinda proving my point IMO: I think Michael Bay CAN make good movies; we know this ... cos he has - I daresay only the most snobbish would say otherwise TBH. His partnership with the late Don Simpson was arguably his high point, producing some genuinely excellent, albeit overblown entertainment. Maybe Transformers was the tipping point, maybe it was Pearl Harbour: either way, his fame and success increasingly created bloated, borderline unwatchable indulgences ... all culminating in 6 Underground - and absolute chaotic monstrosity of a movie. I'd rarely call something utter trash, but it was it, and saddening 'cos I know once upon a time Michael Bay made better movies than this.

The exact same can be said of Synder in my view; he's an auteur without any restraint applied to his work - which in the DC universe has yielded the same, overwrought "gods amongst men" theme. But we know he can create genuinely good movies 'cos like Bay ... he has. If you have enjoyed his latterday work then that's fair enough and we're not likely to meet in the middle; but for me, he's yet another creative auteur lost in the weeds of his own reputation, fame ... whatever we call it. As I said, Netflix have recently enabled this with some directors, while I also believe this is seen with someone like Quentin Tarantino.

IMO, behind every great director, there's a great editor / producer, reigning them in. This cut of Justice League increasingly smells like Synder's missing this sobering voice.

I love movies, working in Xtra vision in the 90s, to this day, is still my favorite ever job. I have this crazy dream if I ever win the lotto, that I will reopen a video store just for fun.

I may not be the connoisseur of movies like yourself, but my appreciation of movies is passionate but on a less critical level. I prefer to look for what I enjoy in movies, then focus or point out what I did not like (I like the way Kevin Smith takes a similar approach to movies). As such I enjoy more movies on different levels. I adapt my expectations to the level I think is reasonable for whats on offer. You could say I have a lower bar for entertainment, but that does not mean I do not get great enjoyment out of movies or greater enjoyment out of classics.

In many cases with Snyder movies I am not overly excited when I initially see them, but for some reason his movies in particular seem to grow on me with multiple viewings. In a weird way, in spite of being very different directors, the same thing can happen for me with Paul Thomas Anderson movies. Where I am not enthralled on first viewing but his movies really grow on me over rewatches. Magnolia comes to mind. Punch Drunk Love and Boogie nights are equally superb movies for completely different reasons in my opinion.

But its a fair point in terms of having the right complimentary people around a director. Lucas with Star Wars was one big example where nobody questioned him, causing major issues many had with Prequels (interesting that over time these have actually become more popular with fanbase). What adds weight to your point is that what is perceived to be accepted as the best of them was the one Lucas didn't direct.

In terms of Bay, I suppose I just take his movies as they are, I am not overly invested in them and when I goto the cinema to watch his stuff I expect cheese with a side order of cheese. Armageddon is one of the best "my kind of cheese" movies ever made (recently watched it with my wife and it was fun). The first Transformers movie was a bit of fun but I actually enjoyed 13 hours aswell, possibly a I had heard little of either of them before seeing them originall and they were oddly entertaining.

In terms of Snyder, DOTD, 300 (fun and unique at the time), Watchmen, MOS and BvS are movies I can generally watch again and enjoy. I understand your reservations about an "unleashed Snyder" JL cut may take, but again I do not see it as a negative, only if you aren't really somebody who enjoys Snyders directorial styles. I can really enjoy Marvel movies, but they are copy and paste with just the right ingredients. I think Snyders "dirty" alternative universe is a much welcome change to the Comicbook movie pool. Doesnt make his movies good, but I find them more enjoyable on repeat viewings and am drawn to watch them more then Marvel movies again. I think I find their imperfection endearing.

I would rather see what he is going to do, then them do nothing as JL is a terrible ending to his trilogy (if you want to call it that). I suppose if you didnt enjoy MOS or BvS then it makes sense that you wouldn't be excited about this JL cut. But on the flipside, it makes total sense that if you enjoyed the first two , that you would be excited to see what Zack is going to do with this.

I love movies, working in Xtra vision in the 90s, to this day, is still my favorite ever job. I have this crazy dream if I ever win the lotto, that I will reopen a video store just for fun.

I may not be the connoisseur of movies like yourself, but my appreciation of movies is passionate but on a less critical level. [...]

Ha, I've been called many things on this site, but rarely a "connoisseur" of anything :D I do appreciate simply enjoying films on an emotional, visceral level. My well-worn DVD copy of The Rocketeer is testament to that. But equally, I have a critical eye that in more extreme cases is hard to shut off. Modern Michael Bay is one of those cases: The Rock is fun; 6 Underground was not.

To Synder, what it probably, fundamentally comes down to is that I just don't buy into Synder / Geoff Johns "gods among men" approach to the DC catalogue. It's too overwrought, too tortured. I don't want the Adam West end of the scale either mind you ... now, the Animated Series from the 90s? That seemed to hit the right sweet spot between drama & fun. Man of Steel nearly had me, but that last act blew the goodwill out the water; the rest I think I've jousted with you before :P

• Advertisement

I think you're both making some interesting points.
    Lucas and Tarantino are good examples of directors who need some restraint or at the very least someone to guide them.

For Tarantino once his longtime editor Sally Menke died (last film she did with him was Basterds) I have found his films to be overlong and indulgent.

For Lucas his ex-wife was instrumental to the success of the original trilogy, not the least of which because she edited it. She was one of the few people that could tell him something was weak and what characters didn't work and he often forged the script from that feedback. By many accounts the original film was a disaster till she came in to edit it. If you ask most she was what gave the films some heart. Their marriage starts falling apart before ROTJ. When we get to the prequels there's no one really to second guess Lucas, it'll succeed anyway cause it's Star Wars but he doesn't have that person telling him no.

For Snyder I feel he is an interesting visual filmmaker when he works with a strong creative voice as a writer or a clear source material to base it on. When left to his own devices he is indulgent, edgy, pseudo-intellectual and at times incomprehensible. I actually like some of his work but his DC work has been a mess IMO. That being said as much as I absolutely hated BvS, I can at least see ideas and attempts at something ambitious as much as I think they are misguided and often fail. I would take it over Justice League purely as a film (as much as I'd watch JL over BvS as it is mercifully shorter and has fun moments).

He needs a guiding hand. In the confines of a studio system he is just not likely to deliver. It's no surprise that he is going to Netflix and now this is going to HBO Max. I agree as well that we can definitively say this is not a 'Snyder Cut' or at least what we were lead to believe. It's totally different to what he originally envisioned and has the benefit of hindsight. I think the whole social media campaign has only lead to an inflated ego that means he is even less likely to recognise his faults as a filmmaker and more likely to deliver an overblown mess which will at least be fascinating as an experiment, although the final product itself might be a slog. I'm sure his fanbase will eat it up regardless though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,543 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Gal Gadot was involved in the WarnerMedia Investigation about Fisher & Whedon.
    Gal Gadot Confirms She Was Interviewed as Part of WarnerMedia’s ‘Justice League’ Investigation (EXCLUSIVE)

Gal Gadot provided testimony for WarnerMedia’s investigation into misconduct on the set of “Justice League,” the actor tells Variety.

“I know that they’ve done a very thorough investigation, even just by how much time I spent with them,” the “Wonder Woman 1984” star said Thursday during an interview for the Variety and iHeart podcast “The Big Ticket.”

WarnerMedia said in a statement on Dec. 11 that it had concluded its investigation into the set of “Justice League.”

“WarnerMedia’s investigation into the ‘Justice League’ movie has concluded and remedial action has been taken,” the statement read.

WarnerMedia has not disclosed its findings or what the “remedial action” entails.

Gadot said she hasn’t been told anything. “I don’t know what that means either,” she said, adding, “I’m curious to know what’s going to be the outcome.”

Variety learned in August that an investigation was launched after “Justice League” star Ray Fisher went public with allegations that director Joss Whedon and producers Geoff Johns and Jon Berg engaged in misconduct on the set.

Fisher tweeted a statement he said he received from WarnerMedia at the close of the investigation. “WarnerMedia appreciates you having the courage to come forward and assist the company with creating an inclusive and equitable work environment for its employees and partners,” the statement read.

Fisher added, “There are still conversations that need to be had and resolutions that need to be found.”

He also tweeted about the “remedial action,” writing, “some we’ve seen, and some that is still to come.”

In July, Fisher tweeted that he found Whedon’s treatment of the cast and crew “gross, abusive, unprofessional, and completely unacceptable.” He said that former Warner Bros. Co-President of Production Berg and former DC Entertainment President and Chief Creative Officer Johns, who were also producers on the movie, enabled the behavior.

Whedon has declined to comment on Fisher’s claims. Berg said in July that it was “categorically untrue that we enabled any unprofessional behavior.”

Gadot told the Los Angeles Times that she didn’t shoot with Fisher, but “I had my own experience with [Whedon], which wasn’t the best one, but I took care of it there and when it happened. I took it to the higher-ups and they took care of it. But I’m happy for Ray to go up and say his truth.”

Source: Variety

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,566 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I can't stand Joss Whedon, but what did he do?

"Gross, abusive, unprofessional, and completely unacceptable" behaviour describes every single director from the beginning of film making.

A director being a prick to his cast and crew is a staple of Hollywood.

LOL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,604 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Tony EH wrote: »
    I can't stand Joss Whedon, but what did he do?

"Gross, abusive, unprofessional, and completely unacceptable" behaviour describes every single director from the beginning of film making.

A director being a prick to his cast and crew is a staple of Hollywood.

LOL

Has Joss Whedon previous form on other tv shows or films?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,566 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

No idea ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yes he rounded on Charisma Carpenter for becoming pregnant on Angel because she had the temerity to mess up his writing.

So what he did instead was character assassinate her character and then write her off for the final season. Carpenter is on record saying all of this. She was immensely popular and basically the star alongside David Boreanez.

His ex wife accused him of being unfaithful with actresses on his shows as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

He basically admitted to the wife's allegation. Infidelity is a ****ty thing to do, but I think it's a fairly separate issue unless there's a casting couch allegation which I haven't heard explicitly.

I find the accusations (which are irritatingly vague) a bit hard to square with the loyalty his actors generally seem to have shown him. There are so many who have followed him from show to show. Maybe he was just a meal ticket, but I'm inclined to reserve judgement.

Reading about this today and came across the below.
    Inside of You with Michael Rosenbaum podcast, Spike actor James Marsters revealed Whedon's unsettling reaction to his character's surprise popularity, saying "I remember he backed me up against a wall one day and he was just like, ‘I don’t care how popular you are, kid, you’re dead. You hear me? Dead. Dead!'" Marsters assured Rosenbaum Whedon wasn't joking around, either, and "was angry at the situation
    , Charisma said she had no idea whether she would be coming back after season 4 until she "got a phone call from somebody in the press, which really sucked." She went on to add she felt Whedon "was, honestly, mad" at her for becoming pregnant, which led to her character being written out of the series. At the same time, Carpenter has framed Whedon's behavior in a sympathetic light, explaining "I think he was mad at me and I say that in a loving way, which is - it’s a very complicated dynamic working for somebody so many years, and expectations, and also being on a show for eight years, you gotta live your life. And sometimes living your life gets in the way of maybe the creator’s vision for the future. And that becomes a conflict, and that was my experience."
    Sarah Michelle Gellar's stunt double and a stunt coordinator for Buffy the Vampire Slayer from seasons 1-4. In an interview with MetroUK published this month, Pruitt said his working relationship with Whedon was "great" at the start of Buffy, but increasingly deteriorated as the show became more and more of a success and the latter began to exert more creative control. By the time season 4 rolled around, Pruitt had become "fed up" and told the series' producers he was planning to leave to go work on other projects, adding "The producers told me that Joss reacted as if I was having an affair or something behind his back."

Pruitt was then asked to return for Buffy season 5 and agreed to, but only before Whedon met with Crawford about her own continued involvement with the show. According to Crawford, "I was called into the office and I was given an ultimatum. And they said to me, “Come back to the show, but you need to leave Jeff, or don’t come back.” And so I basically started crying. And I said “F you. That’s horrible, bye.” Pruitt similarly departed the show after he continued to butt heads with Whedon both publicly and on-set, alleging to Metro "Joss told both Sophia and I that 'no one will ever hire you again after this'. He never says to anyone that he’ll see to it you never work in this town again. He is very careful. He only insinuates that no one will ever hire you again if you don’t please him." Whedon has yet to comment on either Crawford or Pruitt's accusations against him.
    hedon's ex-wife Kai Cole (who collaborated with him on a number of his projects) wrote an essay accusing him of being a "hypocrite preaching feminist ideals." Published by The Wrap in August 2017, the article alleges Whedon admitted to Cole "he hid multiple affairs and a number of inappropriate emotional ones that he had with his actresses, co-workers, fans and friends" while the pair were married, going back to his time as showrunner on Buffy. Cole goes on to accused Whedon of using his relationship to her as a way to protect himself "so no one would question his relationships with other women or scrutinize his writing as anything other than feminist."

In a response, a representative for Whedon claimed Cole's essay "includes inaccuracies and misrepresentations," but that Whedon wouldn't be issuing a formal comment "out of concern for his children and out of respect for his ex-wife." This all took place just two months before the Harvey Weinstein sexual abuse scandal broke in October 2017, resulting in the #MeToo movement gaining mainstream recognition and further discussion of how Whedon's alleged infidelities reflect on him professionally. Most of this conversation has centered on Cole's claim that Whedon had affairs with multiple women on his TV series and how that constitutes inappropriate behavior due to the power and influence he could exert over their careers.

https://screenrant.com/joss-whedon-abuse-misconduct-allegations-accusations-explained/

The Snyder Cut arrives in March according Snyder.

Snyder saying he would love Affleck to make the planned Batman vs. Deathstroke.

HBO Max and needing content may save the DCEU yet especially with Affleck back as Batman for the Flash.

• Advertisement

For context, apparently Cyborg was to feature In The Flash, but WB / Hanada refused rewrites requested by Fisher. Well, Fisher claims there's more to it than rewrite arguments, but hasn't shared any actual detail. This whole feud is quite tedious by now, cloaked in abstracts and no actual substance from Fisher that might make him look less like a bitter belligerent. He's coming across very foolish

At this stage DC/WB should just recast the role.

I partly say that just to see his reaction and his reaction to the actor that takes the role.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Jesus mam, get over it. Professionalism goes both ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

It hard to judge the situation or "take sides" based on what little we know but it's easy for Hollywood to painting actors as "difficult" when other actors or even directors get the artistic genius of a troubled mind treatment. #MeToo gave us a glimpse of what has gone on in and what was tolerated in Hollywood.

FunLover18 wrote: »
    It hard to judge the situation or "take sides" based on what little we know but it's easy for Hollywood to painting actors as "difficult" when other actors or even directors get the artistic genius of a troubled mind treatment. #MeToo gave us a glimpse of what has gone on in and what was tolerated in Hollywood.

I'm trying not to take any sides, but given Fisher seems already keen to burn bridges, his lack of detail about what it is Hanada actually DID beyond the Joss Whedons sacking feels ... suspect. Apparently Gadot has come out supporting Fisher but there's so little to go on, it's hard to read this in Fisher's favour.

I think Fisher has done well to get the results he's gotten from this investigation but his career is in the toilet now.

Allegedly his role has gotten smaller as well in Snyder's JL from what it originally was, and that's saying something given it's been extended to 4 hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭larchielads

Apparently general swannick in man of steele is revealed to be martian man hunter supoosedly the actor himself has said. https://thedirect.com/article/zack-snyder-justice-league-martian-manhunter-scenes-cut

Wonder will they also address the open pod on the scout ship from man of steel as well???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,125 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

The real shocking piece of news here ... is that Synder's still using Vero; he must have shares lol. Honestly, I'd have presumed it died years ago.

4 hour movie, oof. Guess that'll be two sittings then ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

The real shocking piece of news here ... is that Synder's still using Vero; he must have shares lol. Honestly, I'd have presumed it died years ago.

4 hour movie, oof. Guess that'll be two sittings then ha.

Clearly a sign that the studio are letting him do whatever he wants.

'Nerds, we've given him the exact power you demanded for him to have so whatever comes from it is on you'

• Advertisement
Advertisement