Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Justice League **Spoilers from post 980 onward**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭McFly85

It is a Zack Snyder superhero film at the end of the day. Near guaranteed to be a stinker.

True, I’m just surprised about the amount of hype about it considering his other DCEU films were terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭ThePott

I'll give him the benefit of doubt and assume that was tongue in cheek. Some people are losing their minds over that line on Reddit and Twitter.

On the off chance it wasn't tongue in cheek, I fear for this Joker and Leto.
    It definitely seems to be the focus for a lot of people. It's hard to tell with Snyder he has a history of missing the point and not always being the most subtle. Still reserving judgement. To be honest, the rest of the trailer didn't do much for me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It looks precisely like I thought it would be. Zack Snyder's tedious Gods Among Men theme with his superheroes, ramped up to Ludicrous Speed. However godawful the Whedon version was, the levity wasn't entirely unwanted. I imagine the earnest pomposity of "Zack Snyder's Justice League" will be off the charts. Even the name seeks worthiness.

And if 2020 wasn't so barren of blockbuster entertainment I mightn't even care. But who am I kidding, I'll watch this, hate it, and feel like an idiot for ever thinking another Zack Snyder superhero film might be different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,569 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

The new previews of Darkseid, Superman in his black suit & Joker look great in this trailer. Joker's dialogue definitely appears to sound a lot more menacing in this trailer. He doesn't give off any of the tone when compared to his time on SS. I bet comic book fans worldwide are going absolutely ballistic for Snyder's take on the movie after seeing this new trailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

pixelburp wrote: »
    It looks precisely like I thought it would be. Zack Snyder's tedious Gods Among Men theme with his superheroes, ramped up to Ludicrous Speed. However godawful the Whedon version was, the levity wasn't entirely unwanted. I imagine the earnest pomposity of "Zack Snyder's Justice League" will be off the charts. Even the name seeks worthiness.

And if 2020 wasn't so barren of blockbuster entertainment I mightn't even care. But who am I kidding, I'll watch this, hate it, and feel like an idiot for ever thinking another Zack Snyder superhero film might be different.

I wouldn't use the word levity but I expect the dourness to be lifted to a significant degree. Bruce is literally trying to bring people together for the greater good so they can save the world, so the tone *has* to shift to one that's more positive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,729 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

LOL, that trailer came pretty close to giving me an epileptic fit.

As an aside, Am I the only one who prefers it when superheroes do battle with human supervillains?

All of this space stuff comes off as really awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭kerplun k

I thought the trailer looked decent enough. It looks like a completely different film to the other one.

I don’t think anyone will be bored watching this as they’ll be constantly distracted by comparing it to the other one, well, that’s what I’ll be doing anyway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I wouldn't use the word levity but I expect the dourness to be lifted to a significant degree. Bruce is literally trying to bring people together for the greater good so they can save the world, so the tone *has* to shift to one that's more positive.

I don't entirely disagree, but nor do I agree; Synder's tone with these films has often painted superheroics as a burden, not a responsibility - a key difference that has informed both the tone and the way its cast view their calling. I wouldn't look for Richard Donner's Superman, and almost none of the Joss Whedon crap landed in that 2017 version, but instead we get this really overwrought angle. I genuinely don't think Synder GETS these characters. Or rather that his view is that very narrow sense of grim earnestness of purpose that made (say) Batman v Superman such a chore.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,293 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Already looks more finished than the first attempt. Not expecting great things but at least if it looks pretty I can park my brain at the door.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I just don’t like the way Snyder’s films look. They’re all so post-processed beyond any reason that to be they just come across as ugly and artificial. There’s obviously room for artificiality in visual design, of course, but his work (right from 300 onwards) goes so overblown that I find myself distracted and turned off by the sheer volume of excess effects work and processing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I'm lost on who Steppenwolf is kneeling in front of.

Slydice wrote: »

Hologram of Darkseid.

with skinny arms?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,293 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I just don’t like the way Snyder’s films look. They’re all so post-processed beyond any reason that to be they just come across as ugly and artificial. There’s obviously room for artificiality in visual design, of course, but his work (right from 300 onwards) goes so overblown that I find myself distracted and turned off by the sheer volume of excess effects work and processing.

Well the first version of this, I felt they forgot to finish off the movie, the CGI looked half done in many places. I'd agree, I'd prefer a less processed look but given the original film they would be working with, if they just make it look complete I'd be happier. The first edition, the final fight looked as bad as that version of Wolverine Origins that got released a few weeks in advance. Both were bad movies but the lack of finish just made it worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

McFly85 wrote: »
    True, I’m just surprised about the amount of hype about it considering his other DCEU films were terrible.

Why are you surprised?

Plenty of people loved those movies and they are the one hyping.

I loved them too but I don’t know how to hype,

• Advertisement

Why are you surprised?

Plenty of people loved those movies and they are the one hyping.

I loved them too but I don’t know how to hype,

It’s an odd kind of hype though. Like the logic is that this will be amazing because it’s Snyders original vision and not the reviled JW one, but his films are the weakest in the DC shared universe, which are the weakest of any of the DC films in recent history.

It’s going to be a film that will change nobody’s mind really, if you liked the others you’ll probably like this one.

I didn’t realise until tonight how much the fandom hated Whedon until today either, you’d swear he went out of his way to ruin the justice league.

Let's not pretend the reason fans dislike Whedon is because he was just hired to do a job.

Let's not pretend the reason fans dislike Whedon is because he was just hired to do a job.

His film was bad, but he didn’t single handedly ruin the DC cinematic universe. And if the studio wanted him to use more of Snyders footage they should have said so.

His film was bad, but he didn’t single handedly ruin the DC cinematic universe. And if the studio wanted him to use more of Snyders footage they should have said so.

I think most people, including fans of Snyder's DC work, would put the blame of the mess Justice League became squarely at the feet of WB. Indeed, the failure of the DCEU generally tracks back to the studio, from possibly hiring the wrong man in Snyder to the crap Marvel knock offs they've been producing lately. They have no one to blame but themselves for the sh1tshow the DCEU has become.

As for Whedon, the reason fans dislike him so much is well documented in this thread as recently as last Friday, so I don't want to repeat it for fear of starting another tangent.

Slydice wrote: »

Grace has her trailer breakdown uploaded. She reckons it's Darkseids follower DeSaad. Looks like his powers and abilities have varied in the past depending on where he appeared: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DeSaad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,007 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I liked the trailer not expecting much from the film itself however I am glad that Snyder has got to finish what he started no matter how it turns out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

i'm looking forward to this.... very different to the Marvel stuff....

i would like to think both different types are welcome, light and dark... especially to comic book fans...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭Homelander

It’s an odd kind of hype though. Like the logic is that this will be amazing because it’s Snyders original vision and not the reviled JW one, but his films are the weakest in the DC shared universe, which are the weakest of any of the DC films in recent history.

Well his only real films are Man of Steel and Batman v Superman, which I'm constantly baffled as to how people regard as the weaker of the DC films.

Sure, they have fair share of crap exposition, but on the whole I think they're the better DC movies, of which there are frankly very few, if any, that are truly good.

At least Snyder's films are their own thing, rather than these horrific bastardised Marvel knock-offs that continuously fall flat.

To my mind, Aquaman, Justice League, WW 1984, Suicide Squad, are all significantly worse movies than either of the Snyder movies.

In fact the only "good" DC movie I would say is the first Wonder Woman, though even at that it's just reasonably good, and nothing more. Shazam isn't terrible either and is different enough to be worth a watch.

I don't have any magic faith in Snyder but I am really looking forward to his Justice League, at least it will be somewhat unique and not a shoddy bootleg Avengers.

Zack admits Global release schedule has not been amazing, doesn't think it's a conspiracy :rolleyes:
    https://www.comicbookmovie.com/justice_league/zack-snyders-justice-league-director-admits-handling-of-global-release-schedule-has-been-not-amazing-a182469#gs.t0sqk4

Wonder if this means there's still no deal made in most territories.

Homelander wrote: »
    Well his only real films are Man of Steel and Batman v Superman, which I'm constantly baffled as to how people regard as the weaker of the DC films.

Sure, they have fair share of crap exposition, but on the whole I think they're the better DC movies, of which there are frankly very few, if any, that are truly good.

At least Snyder's films are their own thing, rather than these horrific bastardised Marvel knock-offs that continuously fall flat.

To my mind, Aquaman, Justice League, WW 1984, Suicide Squad, are all significantly worse movies than either of the Snyder movies.

In fact the only "good" DC movie I would say is the first Wonder Woman, though even at that it's just reasonably good, and nothing more. Shazam isn't terrible either and is different enough to be worth a watch.

I don't have any magic faith in Snyder but I am really looking forward to his Justice League, at least it will be somewhat unique and not a shoddy bootleg Avengers.

Shazam, Wonder Woman and Aquaman and the Harley Quinn film are all better than his films for me, and I think the worst part about that is that Snyder had the 2 most popular DC superheroes by far to play with, and he doesn't really do anything with them. I find his films boring, and it feels like he puts an enormous amount of effort in how he wants them to look rather than how he wants the audience to feel.

Nothing in the new trailer makes me think that will change. There'll be plenty of weightless spectacle, but I think it'll be a chore to sit through it. I would love to be proven wrong though!

ThePott wrote: »
    Zack admits Global release schedule has not been amazing, doesn't think it's a conspiracy :rolleyes:
    https://www.comicbookmovie.com/justice_league/zack-snyders-justice-league-director-admits-handling-of-global-release-schedule-has-been-not-amazing-a182469#gs.t0sqk4

Wonder if this means there's still no deal made in most territories.

But it is astounding in a way that more hasn't been done and all indicators suggest that it's because Warner have underestimated its demand.

Look no further than this thread to see the view people have on it; for better or worse people are going to watch it, either because they are fans or out of morbid curiosity at seeing Snyder without a leash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭Acosta

They look like poor quality computer games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Shazam, Wonder Woman and Aquaman and the Harley Quinn film are all better than his films for me, and I think the worst part about that is that Snyder had the 2 most popular DC superheroes by far to play with, and he doesn't really do anything with them. I find his films boring, and it feels like he puts an enormous amount of effort in how he wants them to look rather than how he wants the audience to feel.

Nothing in the new trailer makes me think that will change. There'll be plenty of weightless spectacle, but I think it'll be a chore to sit through it. I would love to be proven wrong though!

Ah stop, the Harley Quinn movie was an abomination , truly one of the worst movies I’ve seen in years. Maybe it was targeted for girls but it’s possible to have a good super hero movie that appeals to both sexes.

Shazam (GOTG) , Aquaman (Thor) and WW (CA) were marvel light movies, there was nothing unique about them. They would fit in the marvel Universe they were so close to the ingredients for those movies. We don’t need more marvel movies with DC. Unless you want loads of the same kind of movies I wouldn’t be using those three as an example of DC getting things right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I thought Aquaman was rubbish but I did like harley Quinn. Shazaam was fun and the first 2/3rds of Wonder Woman were very enjoyable imo. Wonder Woman 1984 was very poor though, imo.

But it is astounding in a way that more hasn't been done and all indicators suggest that it's because Warner have underestimated its demand.

Look no further than this thread to see the view people have on it; for better or worse people are going to watch it, either because they are fans or out of morbid curiosity at seeing Snyder without a leash.
    To suggest it is a conspiracy is ridiculous though. It has a release in markets with HBO, the purpose was to boost HBO platforms, nothing more. They've already thrown plenty of money at the movie, they should be far more concerned about trying to get releases sorted for their upcoming slate if they have to go VOD, Godzilla Vs. Kong and Mortal Kombat for example.

I think measuring demand is still tricky too. As much as pockets of the internet are interested and aware of this, the general public are not aware of the Snyder Cut if we're entirely honest. I'd be shocked if it got no release over here in some form eventually. They've never looked at this as a way of making money, it's a loss leader to drive people to HBO Max or HBO platforms. Other regions probably aren't much of a priority. Not to mention the fact that many here and likely aroudn the world will just pirate it instead of paying for a film that they've seen some of already.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure if this thread is much of a gauge though. If it bombs, most simply won't view it. And the odds heavily favour it bombing. It's a very niche demand in the scheme of things, particularly since it's 4 hours long.
    Drumpot wrote: »
    Ah stop, the Harley Quinn movie was an abomination , truly one of the worst movies I’ve seen in years. Maybe it was targeted for girls but it’s possible to have a good super hero movie that appeals to both sexes.

Shazam (GOTG) , Aquaman (Thor) and WW (CA) were marvel light movies, there was nothing unique about them. They would fit in the marvel Universe they were so close to the ingredients for those movies. We don’t need more marvel movies with DC. Unless you want loads of the same kind of movies I wouldn’t be using those three as an example of DC getting things right.
    Loved Harley Quinn and a thirty year old guy.

Loved Harley Quinn and a thirty year old guy.

I thought I was being generous to the makers of the movie by suggesting I wasn’t the target audience. :pac:

Next to “the new mutants”, it was for me one of the worst movies I’ve seen in the cinema for many years and I’ve seen a lot of movies in the cinema.

Goes to show how different people can interpret movies.

Just on Shazam, how do you reckon they should have adapted what amounts to a spin on the"Big" formula of storytelling (kid power fantasy?). Kinda hard to speculate how you avoid it NOT being a fairly jokey, throwaway kind of film.

What does a "marvel movie" mean that it's utterly incompatible with DC? Is it just "has jokes" or are you saying there's something deeper? Cos all three movies felt varied enough in approach to me. To the character of Batman, I see something like Batman: the Brave and the Bold and that's way distant to Synder's take on Batman, yet the former would presumably be considered lesser by dint of it being a lighter touch than what we've got via Ben Affleck's take.

There's room for variation and interpretations, but if the director is intent on returning(!) to a version of Batman who wields a gun ... well. I'd argue that the director simply doesn't GET Batman.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Films are often released in the US well before any firm release plan is announced for elsewhere (and vice versa from time to time). The film First Cow - a widely-acclaimed film from a prominent filmmaker - was released in the US a year ago, and as of last time I checked there was no hint of a release here. Honestly, that kind of thing is pretty standard for films that aren't mega-blockbusters.

Blockbusters over the last few years have received a fairly timely release everywhere, but they're frankly an exception to the rule (and indeed is a relatively new phenomenon). Not to mention as more and more streaming services show up without a worldwide rollout, the messier distribution becomes.

i'm looking forward to this.... very different to the Marvel stuff....

i would like to think both different types are welcome, light and dark... especially to comic book fans...

This is exactly how I feel. Different doesn’t mean better , I get that some don’t like Snyder movies, that’s fine. But if Prefer DC continue to try and make movies different to Marvel.

Why do people get so upset with Snyder? I don’t get why people get so animated about his movies. If I don’t like a movie I don’t spend much time talking about it, most of the posters are trashing the movie and promising to watch it so they can confirm how bad it is. I don’t get that. It’s 4 hours long, who spends that time watching something they know they will prob hate?

Films are often released in the US well before any firm release plan is announced for elsewhere (and vice versa from time to time). The film First Cow - a widely-acclaimed film from a prominent filmmaker - was released in the US a year ago, and as of last time I checked there was no hint of a release here. Honestly, that kind of thing is pretty standard for films that aren't mega-blockbusters.

Blockbusters over the last few years have received a fairly timely release everywhere, but they're frankly an exception to the rule (and indeed is a relatively new phenomenon). Not to mention as more and more streaming services show up without a worldwide rollout, the messier distribution becomes.
    Just in relation to First Cow, I have good news for you.

https://twitter.com/mubiuk/status/1361269219996876800?s=19

Back to Justice League, I would say what happens with its release is more an experiment than anything else. I do think the length of the film from a director that has a poor reputation is at high risk of struggling.

Just on Shazam, how do you reckon they should have adapted what amounts to a spin on the"Big" formula of storytelling (kid power fantasy?). Kinda hard to speculate how you avoid it NOT being a fairly jokey, throwaway kind of film.

What does a "marvel movie" mean that it's utterly incompatible with DC? Is it just "has jokes" or are you saying there's something deeper? Cos all three movies felt varied enough in approach to me. To the character of Batman, I see something like Batman: the Brave and the Bold and that's way distant to Synder's take on Batman, yet the former would presumably be considered lesser by dint of it being a lighter touch than what we've got via Ben Affleck's take.

There's room for variation and interpretations, but if the director is intent on returning(!) to a version of Batman who wields a gun ... well. I'd argue that the director simply doesn't GET Batman.

The three movies mentioned (AM, WW, Shazam) would all neatly fit in a marvel universe in terms of tone and general feel to them. Joker , SS and even the Harley Quinn movie were all more unique and differnt in tone as was all Snyder movies in the universe.

I never said they were bad movies BTW, just extensions of what marvel have been doing, with nothing new or different, just different super hero names in the same kind of movie.. Seems like once Snyder’s take on superhero’s wasn’t proving to be popular DC went back to the safety by box office numbers approach to super hero movies.

We are spoiled with marvel movies. Maybe 20 years ago Shazam might of felt more fresh but it just feels like a marvel movie outside of marvel.

I like marvel for what they have done, I’m currently watching them all with the kids. They’ve even altered their approach and been very ambitious at times (I thought GOTG was a joke of a concept but it was superb). You can see the progression they made, prob peaked at Thor 3 (completely reshaping Thor from serious to hilarious) in terms of the one hero movies.

Harley Quinn was enjoyable enough, some of the jokes didnt land but Margot Robbie is great in it and it looked like they were all enjoying themselves at least.

And regarding the others, I wasnt even thinking about originality, they were just the films I enjoyed more than the Snyder ones. I don't think WB has done much right at all regarding the shared universe, but I would expect some similarities regardless, they are superhero films after all.

Are Snyders films all that unique anyway? Aside from the look he likes to give his films, I don't see anything in them that's really all that original.

Harley Quinn was enjoyable enough, some of the jokes didnt land but Margot Robbie is great in it and it looked like they were all enjoying themselves at least.

And regarding the others, I wasnt even thinking about originality, they were just the films I enjoyed more than the Snyder ones. I don't think WB has done much right at all regarding the shared universe, but I would expect some similarities regardless, they are superhero films after all.

Are Snyders films all that unique anyway? Aside from the look he likes to give his films, I don't see anything in them that's really all that original.

I think the comments in this thread show that Snyder certainly has a unique style of movie making that gets people very very animated. :D

If you watched pretty much any Marvel movie and then a Snyder comicbook movie you would know for sure they aren't made in the same mould. Different doesnt imply better, but there is no denying that Snyders take on things is vastly different to that of Marvel. Whedon going from Marvel to DC showed how different they are, you could pick out the parts in JL that Snyder would not of done. I think maybe Marvel run a much tighter ship with their directors then DC did with Snyder.

Captain Marvel is prob the closest OP hero Marvel have put on the big screen, would you compare that to Man of Steel ? As I've said, AM, Shazam and WW can all be compared to something marvel has offered, the lighter Tone being probably being the most obvious comparison.

It is not that Snyder is breaking new ground in movie making, at a very basic level I just enjoy the different aesthetics of his movies (ironic that this seems to really annoy some people). I also enjoy the general internal struggles/anguish that Snyders heros seem to suffer. You dont see it nearly as depressing in the Marvel ones. I know people do not like the bleakness of it, but I think its refreshing and when I go back to watch a marvel movie its nicely complimentary. Kind of like sour cream on spicy food.:D

• Advertisement

It's not a question of Synder getting people animated, I think that's a tiny bit unfair; cherished characters in pop culture engender a certain protectionism that's understandble, but I think this thread is all in good spirit - so far ;) To speak for myself, it's more that difference for its own sake, is not immediately a good thing. In this instance, Zack Synder deviates so much from what could be called ... I dunno. The core of characters, their essence, that I get annoyed that of the rare pearls of live-action adaptation, we get these outliers of representation, instead of the boilerplate. That Christopher Reeve remains the "best" version of Superman to this day, feels weird.

Batman's the easiest to parse IMO, because it's the most egregious in terms of those deviations (even if ironically, he's the most represented by on-screen adaptations). I hadn't even twigged at first, but that "Knightmare" scene from the trailer is the SECOND time Synder's using that setting. Why does that matter? Because Batman uses a gun in these scenes, and it's COOL. Or rather, you can really tell Synder thinks it's cool, because in BvS we had an elaborate scene of Batman gunning down monsters. Balletic slow-motion. Pew-pew-pew. Same with a batmobile scene, where he destroys/kills henchmen by the dozen.

So why does THAT matter? Because, while you can portray Batman in all sorts of ways, time periods etc - a fundamental lodestone of the character is that he doesn't kill - and he DOESN'T USE A GUN. It's literally the object that defines Bruce Wayne's entire life arc. Batman, boiled down to a one-line reduction, is a ninja-detective (heck, one Elseworld adaptation literally made him a ninja in feudal Japan) and seeing him run around gunning down folk is antithetical to whatever those foundational principles of the character.

So fine: the argument could be made that Synder's Batman is some kind of "fallen" hero, a desperate man who lost his way. But I don't buy that, because that reading runs contrary to the portrayal on-screen; at no point does the body of the film try to tell us this Batman has dropped the ball. Like I said, the aforementioned BvS scenes are not supposed to be shocking, they're meant to be cool. Alfred kinda chides Batman, but the script never once stops us to imply any actual problem with Batman.

And that's the core of what I find around with most of Synder's attempts to do characterful depth: his imagery often clashes violently with the intent of the character. All that brooding and angst is fine, were it not for the fact Synder wants to make it all look as cool and "music video"y as possible. Darkness. No parents. PewPewPew!

... and I just realised I've typed all this, and it's you Drumpot. The guy who likes, and consistently defends, BvS. so I feel this is entirely wasted bytes here cos I know we'll just agree to disagree again lol :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

It's not a question of Synder getting people animated, I think that's a tiny bit unfair; cherished characters in pop culture engender a certain protectionism that's understandble, but I think this thread is all in good spirit - so far ;) To speak for myself, it's more that difference for its own sake, is not immediately a good thing. In this instance, Zack Synder deviates so much from what could be called ... I dunno. The core of characters, their essence, that I get annoyed that of the rare pearls of live-action adaptation, we get these outliers of representation, instead of the boilerplate. That Christopher Reeve remains the "best" version of Superman to this day, feels weird.

Batman's the easiest to parse IMO, because it's the most egregious in terms of those deviations (even if ironically, he's the most represented by on-screen adaptations). I hadn't even twigged at first, but that "Knightmare" scene from the trailer is the SECOND time Synder's using that setting. Why does that matter? Because Batman uses a gun in these scenes, and it's COOL. Or rather, you can really tell Synder thinks it's cool, because in BvS we had an elaborate scene of Batman gunning down monsters. Balletic slow-motion. Pew-pew-pew. Same with a batmobile scene, where he destroys/kills henchmen by the dozen.

So why does THAT matter? Because, while you can portray Batman in all sorts of ways, time periods etc - a fundamental lodestone of the character is that he doesn't kill - and he DOESN'T USE A GUN. It's literally the object that defines Bruce Wayne's entire life arc. Batman, boiled down to a one-line reduction, is a ninja-detective (heck, one Elseworld adaptation literally made him a ninja in feudal Japan) and seeing him run around gunning down folk is antithetical to whatever those foundational principles of the character.

So fine: the argument could be made that Synder's Batman is some kind of "fallen" hero, a desperate man who lost his way. But I don't buy that, because that reading runs contrary to the portrayal on-screen; at no point does the body of the film try to tell us this Batman has dropped the ball. Like I said, the aforementioned BvS scenes are not supposed to be shocking, they're meant to be cool. Alfred kinda chides Batman, but the script never once stops us to imply any actual problem with Batman.

And that's the core of what I find around with most of Synder's attempts to do characterful depth: his imagery often clashes violently with the intent of the character. All that brooding and angst is fine, were it not for the fact Synder wants to make it all look as cool and "music video"y as possible. Darkness. No parents. PewPewPew!

... and I just realised I've typed all this, and it's you Drumpot. The guy who likes, and consistently defends, BvS. so I feel this is entirely wasted bytes here cos I know we'll just agree to disagree again lol :D

2 thoughts come to mind:

1) Nothing from Snyder's past work indicates to me that this will be Citizen Kane, but it should be watchable enough.

2) Will Arnett's Lego Batman is a far more faithful (and better) adaption than the one from the DCEU.

I'm always happy to acknowledge Snyder has a clear, distinctive style compared to the pedestrian, bland filmmakers who dominate big-budget filmmaking these days. That is something to his credit.

Of course, that is not to say said clear, distinctive style is in any way engaging or appealing.

People felt the same with MoS. Superman engaged in a battle across Metropolis which would have resulted in thousands of deaths which ran counter to the expectations of the character, who would have been distraught at the huge loss of life. I recall one bit where Zod chucks a petrol truck at Superman, who just jumps over it and lets it explode behind him, destroying a multi story car park. Who knows how many people were in there!

I'm always happy to acknowledge Snyder has a clear, distinctive style compared to the pedestrian, bland filmmakers who dominate big-budget filmmaking these days. That is something to his credit.

Of course, that is not to say said clear, distinctive style is in any way engaging or appealing.
    I would also say the focus on style over anything else ends up with a bland end result. I don't end up caring about his characters, I don't get excited by set pieces etc cause I simply struggle to become emotionally invested in the characters.

I would also say the focus on style over anything else ends up with a bland end result. I don't end up caring about his characters, I don't get excited by set pieces etc cause I simply struggle to become emotionally invested in the characters.

This is why his trailers tend to look great I think, plenty of spectacle but without context.

I remember being so hyped for MoS after seeing the third trailer below, I thought he nailed the tone of what a Superman film should be. Since then though, lesson well and truly learned!

• Advertisement

Its funny cause this same argument comes up in Star Wars newer movies and recent Alien movies where some fans of the universes were not happy with the direction taken. The prequels (that were disliked at the time) are now more popular because of the perception of what Disney are doing!

I loved Aliens and Star Wars originals, but was not as upset with the newer versions as some. In fact I really enjoyed the recent Alien movies and was sorry to hear there probe wont be another. I thought they were beautifully made and would of been much better received as individual standalone movies outside of the Alien Universe. This happens alot where good movies are panned because of the perceived effect on the wider universe, not because the movies are bad. Rogue one was a superb addition, the new trilogy was fine but not as disasterous as some have been going on about.

But the key ingredient in these difference of opinions is the perception of how the characters or movie is impacting the original idea or source material. Honestly, I don't care if Batman has a gun or if people die during a superman fight scene, it really makes no difference to me. I can watch the original Aliens movies and the newer ones make absolutely no difference to my enjoyment.

In terms of things looking cool, again it doesn't bother me if it actually looks cool. I suppose I just let myself be taken along for the ride with Snyder, don't really think about it too much. I don't get upset about what I think a director is trying to do, I prefer to try and enjoy movies and focus on what I like. Don't care what a director is going for , only thing I care about is if I enjoy a movie or not.

I really do not know what it is about Snyder Movies, I do not consider myself a fan who would die on the sword defending him, more I generally seem to enjoy his movies. Mind you, its happened where I didnt like his movies on first watch but they do tend to grow on me so I expect to not like his JL on first watch. Maybe Snyder is my "guilty pleasure" director.

It's
    Batffleck was quite jarring to me and I don't agree with the best Batman ever stuff you see that's part of the Snyder Cut movement, but he clearly has dropped the ball and it's portrayed on screen.

He's full of guilt over his actions towards Superman and talks of how he now realizes men are still good, and I believe Snyder will pursue this line of thought in Justice League because Bruce (well allegedly this was the direction at one point) is meant to be
    suicidal
    over his guilt.

The problem is there was no buffer film before BvS where we were able to follow Bruce throughout his downward spiral to explain all the crazy sh1t he was doing in BvS. People need linear storytelling especially with such an extreme interpretation and Snyder should of realised this.

Trying to retroactively explain it away just doesn't work because people will always be cynical towards Snyder, and believe any depth or reasoning he adds to the character's actions are because of reaction to criticism rather than planning.

But hey, I saw a fan video recently with a supercut of Snyder talking about his Films in the DCEU. He speaks of wanting to make films where friends will argue with each other about how they each don't get it. The ****er has certainly achieved his wish anyway. :D You have to admit that his films are living long into the memory for better or worse compared to other films in the genre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

No, that's not it, Drumpot. Batman remains Batman, just like he did after the WWII serials in which he fought "sinister Jap spies", or the high camp of the Adam West TV show. I've enjoyed a few of Sneider's movies, but none of the DC ones. He's just too deaf to character: his heroes are established by the superficial links to the characters we know, where Batman wears a cape and a cowl, is rich and has a butler named Alfred. It's just a bit joyless, and I'm no talking about the plot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,280 ✭✭✭techdiver

I approach it a bit like Drumpot. I do like the Snyder movies whist also acknowledging that there are obvious flaws.

I've been a fan of these characters as far back as I can remember as a child. Superman was always my favourite movie series to watch as a youngster (and still is). I liked the different approach rather than trying to make another sequel type movie like Superman Returns.

I like the larger scale of the Snyder movies also. The character canon thing is an interesting argument. I do like and invest myself in the canon and did recoil a bit with the killing in the Snyder movies. What must be noted though, that if you make movies purely for the dire hard fans, you won't make much money and the wider audience doesn't give a **** about canon as much as the likes of me would.

I've no issues with Batman killing Aliens etc such as Parademons, as what else are you going to do in that scenario. The scene that most people don't like is the warehouse chase in BvS. He kills quite a few guys in that scene. Now perhaps it can be explained with the obvious broken man character arc they were going for in BvS.

Now it is disingenuous to think that Snyder is the first director to have Batman kill. All live action depictions of Batman have killed. Keaton killed, even Bale's Batman killed Harvey Dent and at least one of Talia's goons before forcing her truck off the road and the ensuing crash killing her too. Now the difference there is Bale's Batman did that as a last resort. Either tackle Harvey and let him fall or let Harvey kill Gordon's boy. Easy decision. I suppose the issue with BvS is Batman always finds a way to do it without killing if at all possible. In BvS he didn't. He just went all second amendment on their asses.

In MOS Superman killing Zod was another one. I've no major issue with the scene itself, because he was left with the choice of doing it of letting the family in Zod's firing line die. What annoys me is the lack of creativity in the writing team, of not coming up with a more "clever" way of stopping Zod.

In saying all that I really like both movies and firmly believe they are both underrated, especially the Ultimate Edition of BvS where much of the plot holes were filled in.

I still think Superman hasn't been treated fantastically in the trilogy of movies thus far. Perhaps the Snyder Cut will fix that. Call me old fashioned but a good old action set piece where Superman saves a load of people from a perilous situation wouldn't go amiss. The scenes in BvS where he is actually being Superman is accompanied by dour depressing visuals and music.

Batffleck was quite jarring to me and I don't agree with the best Batman ever stuff you see that's part of the Snyder Cut movement, but he clearly has dropped the ball and it's portrayed on screen.

He's full of guilt over his actions towards Superman and talks of how he now realizes men are still good, and I believe Snyder will pursue this line of thought in Justice League because Bruce (well allegedly this was the direction at one point) is meant to be
    suicidal
    over his guilt.

The problem is there was no buffer film before BvS where we were able to follow Bruce throughout his downward spiral to explain all the crazy sh1t he was doing in BvS. People need linear storytelling especially with such an extreme interpretation and Snyder should of realised this.

Trying to retroactively explain it away just doesn't work because people will always be cynical towards Snyder, and believe any depth or reasoning he adds to the character's actions are because of reaction to criticism rather than planning.

But hey, I saw a fan video recently with a supercut of Snyder talking about his Films in the DCEU. He speaks of wanting to make films where friends will argue with each other about how they each don't get it. The ****er has certainly achieved his wish anyway. :D You have to admit that his films are living long into the memory for better or worse compared to other films in the genre.

To the last point, I think they live long in the memory because, to pivot back to Superman for a second, Synder insists on subverting the template of a character rarely shown "just" as he is in the first place. Creating this vacuum of desperation in fandom. Ok, Henry Cavill is only the 3rd live-action Superman (maybe four? Had George Reeves played him on film?), so there aren't many to choose from, but you gotta go back to the Richard Donner era to get a simple, heroic Superman. That's kinda nuts for such an iconic, global, character.

Brandon Routh's version is ... weird, coming off the accidental stalker and Deadbeat Dad, but I guess its heart was in the right place. The movie itself was curiously low-stakes and lacking scope. And even then, in many respects, the 70s films have aged pretty badly, both in terms of FX and their strangely childish tone - this was an era prior to the likes of Alan Moore, Frank Miller etc. etc.

Man of Steel came along during what can only be described as a Golden Age of Superhero Cinema: the anticipation was that we'd see a Superman, pure of heart, without that embarrassment over the material visible in the Christopher Reeves films - and all wrapped up with the mega-budget of a modern blockbuster. Nope. Synder instead wanted to make a film about Clark Kent struggling to cope with being Space Jesus, and to revel in demolishing both his home town and city. Even the infamous Nicholas Cage production from the 90s couldn't help deviating away from a simple "hero in a cape" mould - though that was down to John Peters' influence and fascination with spiders lol.

I don't really like Superman TBH, so can't speak as a "true" fan, but I imagine those that are must be gagging for a simple, big-budget adventure with Supes, saving the day and showing himself the paragon.

• Advertisement
Advertisement