Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Justice League **Spoilers from post 980 onward**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,258 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Social media embargo ends today. Going to be a long couple of days for those who are interested in what Snyder's been doing with these characters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,125 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

So as this will be on Now Tv Sky Cinema, in theory we could use the free pass to watch this and just cancel there after?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

pixelburp wrote: »
    I expect the return of the Knightmare setting to blow the pacing out of the water though

I've been giving knightmare alot of thought and I can only presume that it fits in as being
    a full circle wrap of the scene that started in bvs. Bruce has dreams, which could actually be visions, of a post apocalyptic earth, dominated by a despot alien. In bvs he presumed it was superman but in ZSJL he realises his visions were of darkseids conquest.
    Bruce woke to Barry sending a message back in time to him, and in one of the newer trailers, I think I saw the same, bearded Barry standing behind batman.
    That's just my guess as to how it fits, I don't believe it'll be just shoe horned in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

That actually looks amazing. No way it’s gonna be as good as that trailer but I can’t wait. In fairness I’ve been looking forward to this for awhile, not expecting a lot, prob Shouldn't of watched that, my expectations have jumped at least 50%!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭ManOfMystery

El Duda wrote: »
    Does anyone actually think this is going to be good?

The social media reactions have been very good so far. Of course, that's often meaningless (WW84 got great initial reactions and was far from being a great film) but now and again, they do get it right.

My thoughts from the start have generally been - 1) It can't be any worse than the theatrical release of JL, which was a disjointed, mis-toned and awkward mess of a film ........... and 2) at least this film will be the work of its original Director as he envisioned it. Not some hybrid one spliced together from the very different visions and methods of two directors. It's akin to an artist starting a painting and another with a very different methodology finishing it.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Is there much of a difference between cuts (in regards BVsS). Ive seen a load of youtube cuts (for the ending) that do a better job than the theatrical version so wondering is there any benefit to watching it.

I was one of those who liked the BvS theatrical release, but I much preferred the extended edition. There are some jarring cuts in the original film between scenes and locations and the extended one goes some way to fleshing out these scenes and smoothing the transitions. It also has more expository dialogue so you get a better feel for what's going on and the motivations at work. Overall, it feel smoother and more coherent.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Social media reactions for anything aren't worth the paper they're printed on. No more than those glowing first reviews you'd have seen after Premieres, noname blogs gushing cos they got a free ticket for something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Watched both Man of Steel and BvS Ultimate over the weekend. MoS is still a decent movie. Loses its way in the last act but overall it's enjoyable and the performances are great.

BvS though, there's just so much wrong with it. Some parts and ideas are great, but the execution is just horrendous.

Still though, the trailers for ZSJL look great, and the film can hardly be worse than the Whedon version, so fingers crossed.

I always felt the biggest issue with bvs and jwjl was that way too much was crammed in.
    The running time of ZSJL should do the story justice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I always felt the biggest issue with bvs and jwjl was that way too much was crammed in.
    The running time of ZSJL should do the story justice.

I still maintain that BvS feels like it started off as MoS2 (Superman, Lex, Doomsday, Lois tracking down the bullet), then it became BvS so Batman was added into it, then it had to become BvS Dawn of Justice so WW and the setup for Justice League was all added into it. But each time they added stuff in, they never took anything out (I still have no idea why the side story of Lois and the bullet is in the movie. It leads to nothing except just giving Amy Adams something to do).

Penn wrote: »
    I still maintain that BvS feels like it started off as MoS2 (Superman, Lex, Doomsday, Lois tracking down the bullet), then it became BvS so Batman was added into it, then it had to become BvS Dawn of Justice so WW and the setup for Justice League was all added into it. But each time they added stuff in, they never took anything out (I still have no idea why the side story of Lois and the bullet is in the movie. It leads to nothing except just giving Amy Adams something to do).
    Agreed, there should have been more movies. A standalone Batfleck movie, where Bruce meets Diana, witnesses the destruction in metropolis and shows us the death of Robin by Jared letos joker would have been a great segway into bvs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭techdiver

techdiver wrote: »

I like his use of the word preposterous.
    It's everything I want from a four hour film.

I done a scan of a few reviews. From a completely unscientific point of view, it looks to me like it is being more favourably reviewed than any of his previous movies.

A few "meh" reviews but a lot of decent ones.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/zack_snyders_justice_league/reviews?intcmp=rt-scorecard_tomatometer-reviews

EDIT: Of course I've always noticed review scores start out better than they finish.

I done a scan of a few reviews. From a completely unscientific point of view, it looks to me like it is being more favourably reviewed than any of his previous movies.

A few "meh" reviews but a lot of decent ones.

It's a tough one, as was said here the run time and lore heavy story will put alot of casual viewers off. But those of us that really want to see it will be biased.

• Advertisement

I'd say it'll end up just as polarising as his other works. It's the nature of his style.

What is of note is that even some of the bad reviews admit it's better than the theatrical version, so at least there is that (not that it would be difficult).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

It doesn't read like a four star review.

FunLover18 wrote: »
    It doesn't read like a four star review.

I think he is aware of it's flaws but enjoys it none the less. At least that's what I got from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭ThePott

The reviews are odd seems like quite a few negative nitpicks but decent scores probably points to an indulgent movie with a satisfying ending at least. I reckon when all is said and done it will probably have a reaction closer to Man of Steel than BvS at least.

Also a slightly minor nitpick is that I don't care for positive reviews that just say it's better than the 2017 cut, I don't care about that and would assume it is, I just want to know if it's good on it's on merits.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭kerplun k

I’d wonder how many of the reviewers are compromised at this stage and are just rooting for ZS. I know I am.

I guess this is just me being cynical. I’m sure it’s getting the reviews it deserves. I’m genuinely excited to see this now.

• Advertisement

kerplun k wrote: »
    I’d wonder how many of the reviewers are compromised at this stage and are just rooting for ZS. I know I am.

I guess this is just me being cynical. I’m sure it’s getting the reviews it deserves. I’m genuinely excited to see this now.

I'm probably biased too as I want it to be good and I really like MOS and BvS UC, but I'm wondering is the existence of the theatrical cut and it being so bad working in Snyder's favour here? The reviewers, with all the best intentions, will on some level be comparing it to the theatrical cut and it might score higher because of this?

Either way I've always been a believer of judging a movie yourself and take reviews with a grain of salt (within reason), so I'll not let reviews sway me one way or another.

kerplun k wrote: »

The initial reviews I could see being compromised, but when the likes of The Guardian and Variety are giving the film favourable reviews it's fair to say the good reviews are on merit.

I mean there's plenty of "critics" still with a bone to pick with Snyder. The likes of Collider and John Campea gave negative reviews so the pendulum has by no means swung in Snyder's favour from where it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭recyclops

Just watched ultimate edition on my xbox 4 quid to rent it from the store was actually impressed using the service.

I enjoyed it much more than I thought I would, hadn't returned to BvS since initial viewing in the cinema. Now I am pumped for Thursday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,543 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Just on BvS UE. There will be a new 4K remastered copy of this movie being released on 4K UHD Blu-ray & on Digital stores here sometime in late April. This version of the movie is also being released on HBO Max from Thursday. It will include remastered IMAX scenes & expanded colour space. The movie's AR will upped to 2:39:1. If you have this film in either iTunes/Google Play; I am not sure if this film is being sold seperately on Digital or not. It might be a good idea for you to see if these stores can either update it to the new version in your digital libraries for free by then.

Read quite a few reviews last night for ZSJL and whilst there's the odd negative one and they do make it clear that the film is an extremely stylised piece of work (thus not for everyone - as you would expect from Snyder), for the most part they seem overwhelmingly positive so far.

Read quite a few reviews last night for ZSJL and whilst there's the odd negative one and they do make it clear that the film is an extremely stylised piece of work (thus not for everyone - as you would expect from Snyder), for the most part they seem overwhelmingly positive so far.

Seems to be way more positive and less mixed than either MOS and BvS. The runtime allows for proper fleshing out of characters it seems and I've read many times that even though it is 4 hours it flows organically.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭splashthecash

So I understand that Sky Cinema are going to have this available from 18th March - do we know if they are making the full 4 hour film available, or will it be broken down into 1 hour chapters?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

If Peter Bradshaw is giving this near top marks, I don't think the whole "critics don't like this kind of thing" is going to wash this time around.

I know what I'm going to get when I watch this, the most Zack Snyder joint ever conceived. It is a known quantity, a definitive value, regardless how one feels about the work. The 2017 film was such a wet fart, a visual representation of falling between two stools, this new version can only be better. Not necessarily a better film, but a better final product.

So I understand that Sky Cinema are going to have this available from 18th March - do we know if they are making the full 4 hour film available, or will it be broken down into 1 hour chapters?

Full 4 hour on Sky Cinema. First showing at 7am Thursday morning.

I think I'm actually gonna watch this now. It's sounding okay and fair play to Snyder if he made something decent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

recyclops wrote: »
    Just watched ultimate edition on my xbox 4 quid to rent it from the store was actually impressed using the service.

I enjoyed it much more than I thought I would, hadn't returned to BvS since initial viewing in the cinema. Now I am pumped for Thursday.

I’m watching it again, I think it’s great and gets better on repeat viewings for me. The score is superb. Jesse grew on me as Lex, his plan aswell comes together nicely. Saw somebody say that they didn’t need Lois story on the bullet but it tied the whole
    Lex plot together.

If JL is an extension of it I will be well pleased.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

The most interesting comment I've seen in a review is this one, from The Independent:
    Despite multiple editors, it seems at no point did anyone ask: “Why have you taken an already overstuffed plot and added multiple nods to a future sequel no one has shown any interest in making?”

Fysh wrote: »
    The most interesting comment I've seen in a review is this one, from The Independent:

In fairness the movie and it's plot/set up for the future was completed in 2017 (apart from a few re-shoots in 2020) so it's not as if there are plot points added now. There was full intention at the time to make a sequel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭ItsHoggie

How come this isn’t widescreen?

C'mon now, we can do better than that outlet.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

C'mon now, we can do better than that outlet.

UK Indo, not Irish. So.... a bit less objectionable?

There was no interest in any Director's cut of Justice League at one point, and look where we are now. If this does well, who knows?

WB may have moved their DC universe on a bit, but from the JL roster it's almost certain that Gadot and Momoa will be back in solo movies (WW3 is in the works and Aquaman 2 shoots this summer) - Affleck is returning as Batman in the Flashpoint movie along with Ezra Miller as Flash, and whilst nothing is in the pipeline officially for Cavill there's also been no announcement that he's out or finished. The only one looking doubtful is Fisher due to the ongoing situation between him and WB over bullying claims, but if Cyborg is as big a draw in this movie as I've read, maybe they'll sort that out. So that's 4 of the 6 Snyder - JL stars returning in their roles in the very near future.

So if there's audience hunger for more, and WB think there's money to be made, I wouldn't rule anything out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

If it's a hit on HBO Max and they see a boost in subscribers over the next month or three that's linked to this they may well make the squeals for exclusive HBO Max all these streaming services are throwing billions of dollars at making content this is one of the best IP's in the world so who knows.

UK Indo, not Irish. So.... a bit less objectionable?

UK Indo seems to be a rung below the Irish one if that's possible. Their articles are absolute bait.

I just don't know why of all the reviews out there, ranging from the Guardian (positive) to The Hollywood Reporter (negative) that a blurb from that clickbait site would catch your attention....unless, of course, that blurb confirmed an opinion you've already formed. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

UK Indo seems to be a rung below the Irish one if that's possible. Their articles are absolute bait.
    Their articles automatically get flagged on reddit with a "users often report articles from this site for sensational or exaggerated stories" or something of the kind. I can't say I've read it to confirm, but it has a pretty terrible name at this point.

I just don't know why of all the reviews out there, ranging from the Guardian (positive) to The Hollywood Reporter (negative) that a blurb from that clickbait site would catch your attention....unless, of course, that blurb confirmed an opinion you've already formed. ;)

I noticed it in passing ( UK Indo is one of few UK news sites that aren't enormously Tory and/or editorially transphobic and/or editorially anti-SNP/Scottish Independence, so is a useful counterweight) and thought it might be of interest because someone upthread had mentioned how many reviews just focused on "it's better than the theatrical release". (I'm also loving how Bradshaw's positive review is accepted at face value despite how often his reviews get cited on this forum as evidence that critics are the worst kind of pox on film because they just don't understand what audiences like :D Never found him a particularly useful critic myself so I tend not to pay him much mind either way...)

That comment strikes me as a fair question someone might ask about a several-years-later definitive release of the film. Not necessarily something that would put off fans wanting the equivalent of an Ultimate Cut, but still relevant when assessing this version on its own merits IMO.

mikhail wrote: »
    Their articles automatically get flagged on reddit with a "users often report articles from this site for sensational or exaggerated stories" or something of the kind. I can't say I've read it to confirm, but it has a pretty terrible name at this point.

The reviewer is the stand in for Mark Kermode on his show so I'd consider her a good reviewer as they go. Dunno why it's the part of the review that annoys people tbh. I'd suspect they're all actually intriguing people enough to give it a go. I didn't think I would but I will now, know a fair few who will too. Granted my friends aren't exactly the mainstream audience but I suspect it'll get on reasonably now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,312 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Looks like it became available a day early?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭larchielads

Not widescreen couldn't adjust it either. Might wait til tomorrow see what links are available then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

Not widescreen couldn't adjust it either. Might wait til tomorrow see what links are available then

It will only be in 4:3 AR not 2:35:1 or 16:9

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭larchielads

BrookieD wrote: »
    It will only be in 4:3 AR not 2:35:1 or 16:9

Seriously?? Ah jesus christ snyder. 4 hrs of 4:3 no thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭ThePott

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Looks like it became available a day early?
    Where has it been officially released do you know? I've seen it on the high seas alright but wondering where it came from.

Was gonna wait till Friday to watch it but if there's a legal way of watching it now I'd go for it with the day off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,312 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Can't see any info on where it leaked from. just says it's a HDRip. no source

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Anyone know what time tomorrow will this be on Sky Cinema?

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Caegan

First showing is 7am tomorrow on sky cinema.

• Advertisement
Advertisement