Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lunarglides vs Zoom elite vs Air Pegasus

Options
  • 08-08-2012 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭

Time for new runners...

What's the main difference between of the above?

As far as I know, Pegasus and the zoom elite are a cushioned running shoe and the lunarglides are a stability shoe.

My previous gait analysis told me I slightly overpronate, does this mean a stability shoes is ruled out for me??

I've been seeing good reviews from other runners on thes shoes and im trying to decide what's most suited to me. im running 30km a week over three runs and I've had major problems with shin pain in the past. Been in brooks glycerin 9 for the last year and although they give good support, they give very little cushion.

I was looking at a few of these nikes today and the sole is like walking on a matress, they are very soft and flexible.

Anyone run in any of the above models, how do you find them, do you just use them for races or do you do bigger milage in them?

Many Thanks :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

If you overpronate then you are supposed to wear stability shoes.

Lunarglides are fine for both neutral runner and slight over pronators and are a nice cushioned light runner. I don't know much about the other two models...

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭JohnnyCrash

Hi Subscriber,I run in Lunarglide 3's. These use Lunarlon and afaik the pagasus and zoom use air. Some call the glides cushioning,some support.Technically,I think both could be right because the shoes offer Dynamic Support ie. support is there when you need it and is'nt when you dont. Im a neutral runner and they are my shoe of choice,have 2 pairs in rotation and am currently clocking up 42 miles(67km) per week with them. Also,with the make up of the sole,I find them ideal for a mid foot strike.Hope this is of some use to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭b.harte

I've both lg2 and peg 28.
    On my second pair of peg this year, coming up to another pair around the start of September. I use them for all my long runs, comfy and not overly clunky for a shoe with a big sole.
    However I got toe poke through the mesh on both pairs after only about 350km, duct tape and some deft darning sorted that out. Can't fault them otherwise.
    The lunarglide2 I used to use for shorter runs but lately I've been using them on long runs as well without any problems. It took me a while to get used to them but I'm now picking them over the peg for runs.
    The lunar foam is comfy but firmer than the air peg, as mentioned above the lunarglide tends to lend itself to a more mid/fore foot strike, I can see by the wear pattern that I land more forward in them and there is no wear on the heel (which I see on the back of the peg).
    I didn't like the lg3, the instep felt weird and high, might have been the flywire strap thing and I may have gotten used to it.
    There are a few places that still have a stock of lg2 so I will pick up another pair later in the year. only paid 50 for the last pair on the bargain rail in lifestyle.
    One thing I did notice, and it may not be the case with the new lg4 or peg 29 is the insole in the peg are very thick and cushy, the lg2 insole was thinner, I took the insole out of the pegs I retired and put it in and it made it a bit plusher.
    A bit of a rambling post, I'm sorry, of the two I currently prefer the lg, but it took me a while to get there and I can't really fault the pegasus either. The LG is a slightly narrower shoe as well in case that's relevant.:confused:
    I run anywhere from 2-5 times a week 30-100+km depending on work / plan etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭subscriber

Thanks Lads,

Went for the pegasus 28 in the end. had a closer second look at the lunarglides and they just seemed too light and flimsy to me, have also read more reports since I first posted that the fabric breaks down awful quickly on them, and they just erode after 200km. Dunno if there is any truth to that but still aired on the side of caution.

The pagausus seem to get an all around good review from people that have had them for many months, and to be honest I would be too afraid in the lunarglides with minimal cushioning as I am extremely prone to shinsplints. Hoping the cushion of the pegasus will ease that some. Wont know for a week or two though. Seems like a nice shoe on my first trial run, very spongy but doesen't send my foot off balance or slip away under my foot, nice side support too with the flywire also.

Here's hoping. . .

plenty of cushioning in lunarglides - very plush ride. I've used a pair over 700km and no problems with the fabric. tried pegs once - found them to be a very "slappy" (in the transition) type shoe - didn't like at all. I'm a midfoot/forefoot striker though - that may be why.

• Advertisement

Fair enough, thanks for the feedback. :) Cant comment on them as ive never owned a pair. For now though, ill have to see how the pegs treat me.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭ray lanigan

i have tried alot of trainers and the zoom elites are the best ive ever worn,running all my training wearing them,and getting 600miles out of them,and havnt got injured wearing them

I have to admit ive never been a fan of nike but im starting to come around to them, solely based on recent reviews ive read. Obviously I cant say for sure yet as ive only done a whopping 5 Miles in my pegs, but a lot of people seem to be wearing either pegs or lunarglides from what Ive seen recently. Hopefully ill be as lucky as some with these as any time in the past ive brought my milage over 20 miles per week, ive always gotten injuried. I was complete mess lying up at the start of DCM last year and looked like something out of the wars with all the supports I was wearing. Anyway here's hoping. :)

glasso wrote: »
    plenty of cushioning in lunarglides - very plush ride. I've used a pair over 700km and no problems with the fabric. tried pegs once - found them to be a very "slappy" (in the transition) type shoe - didn't like at all. I'm a midfoot/forefoot striker though - that may be why.
    +1 on this.I have over 1000km on 1 pair and I can still use them on shorter runs.The only breakdown on fabric I have is toe poke on the left shoe,but I get this on all shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

Pistol-Grip-Remote-Toe-Nail-Clipper-193196-PRODUCT-MEDIUM_IMAGE.jpg ??

• Advertisement

Thanks Head The Wall,but its not a toenail prob,more a mechanics one;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

Don't let your mechanic near your runners :D but seriously I doubt the skin on the tip of your (or anybodies) toe will be the reason for poking a hole in the material. It has to be the nails

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭wrstan

Looks like some very good value in shoes on Wiggle at the moment, including all of these 3: Lunar glides €70; Zoom Elites €81; Pegasus €69 - amongst others. Although I guess any of you who have ever bought anything on Wiggle will have got the email by now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ryker1

Only 5% of the population have neutral (perfect) pronation. The 95% majority have either slight to moderate overpronation and underpronation. Neutral pronation is not normal. There is absolutely no evidence that overpronation is a medical concept. There is no medical research or evidence that moderate underpronation can cause long term injury. It is a pure marketing tool. It's easy to understand, so companies use it to scare people into buying something they don't need. Especially if people are told is something wrong with them and they're buying the cure.

It's a lazy diagnosis, and because it's easy to show and understand. Some podiatrist use it as a pretext for treatment. No foot injuries are ever a result of overpronation on it's own. In fact correction of moderate overpronation can lead to balance problems and unnecessary lifelong reliance on corrective footware. If you have problems with your feet and you're told by anybody it's because of overpronation or underpronation. Go elsewhere. Google the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Mumontherun

Are the lunarglides good / suitable for road races ? I train in a stability shoe which was recommended after having gait analysis done, but I find them too clumpy for speed work /racing. Have an old pair of Nike pegasus which I use for racing as they are the lightest pair I have. Am planning buying a pair for speed work and road races would the lunar glides be a good buy or is there something lighter with a little stability ? I wear orthotics and have a narrow foot.

Advertisement