Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Is The Maximum Temperatures You Can Put Up With On A Holiday??

• 08-08-2012 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Hi all,

I'm on holiday in Spain right now, going the through the province of andalucia, statistically the hottest region in europe. I´ve been in Granada for 3 days, Cordoba for 3 days and Seville for 4 days, then off to Madrid for 5 days.

I often hear Irish people say they can't stand heat, telling me anything above 30C is too hot, some say 35C is their max but most seem to give me a definition of what they at maximum can put up with with. "See anything above 30C I'm like no way hey" blah blah blah.

I´ve been here 9 days so far, and I don't think I've had a day below 35C, all my days have been between 35C-40C. But I've been ok with it, not too bad actually, mostly around the 40C mark like I say.

The forecast is also heating up

Seville Thur: 42
    Fri: 42
    Sat: 44

Cordoba Thur: 43
    Fri: 44
    Sat: 44

Madrid Thur: 40
    Fri: 41
    Sat: 39

I'm in a four star hotel at the moment in Seville and its pratically empty, the receptionist told me I was very brave to come at this time of the year because all the locals have headed off for the beach, escaping the inland heat. :P

So what maximum temperatures would you call your upper limit when going abroad? Like I say I'm heading into mid 40s and looking forward to it, maybe I can cope with heat quite well. Don't get me wrong, I don't love it that hot, but put up with it reasonably well it appears.

What would your upper limit be when going abroad?? 20s, 30s, 40s etc??

What Is Your Upper Limit Of Heat You Can Put Up With When Going Abroad?? 98 votes

45C+
    0% 0 votes
    40-45C
    15% 15 votes
    35-40C
    11% 11 votes
    30-35C
    30% 30 votes
    25-30C
    24% 24 votes
    I Much Prefer Going On Colder Holidays
    18% 18 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

About three fiddy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

15 degrees with plenty of cloud cover

"close days"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Anywhere suits me as long as there are cold beds, warm beer and freshly made women.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Humidity is the killer factor.
    I've been in 45 degree heat and it is hot but it would take a while to start sweating but go to Boston when the humidity is high and you would start sweating just standing around in 25-30 degree weather

Show off -.-

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

I was in Oman on a job a few years ago.

Never want to go back, put it that way. 47° at times.

Too warm, way too warm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

A better scale is the lowest temperature you can put up with. -27C is chilly as fcuk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i managed to put up with 44+ in greece

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭girl in the striped socks

About forty to forty five degrees. That was with a sea breeze though so that's why it didn't seem so bad.
    Twenty five degrees here & I'm sweating like a priest in a crèche.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

I HATE warm weather. Makes you sweat & gives you cancer. My ideal place is somewhere with snow.

Jesus I'm such a miserable person...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

I was in southern portugal in june, it hit 35 and i was sweating like a dyslexic on countdown, far too hot for me. I dont think id ever go on holiday in somewhere like Dubai.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I actually haven't found my limit.

The hottest I was in was 44 in the shade in Madrid. It's not really the same as what you'd think as it was just dry heat, not the humid heat we get at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

It's the nighttime temperature that's really the issue. When it's in the 30s and you're trying to sleep, the AC isn't much help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Confab wrote: »
    A better scale is the lowest temperature you can put up with. -27C is chilly as fcuk.

Again, depends on humidity. -3 or 4 over here would cut through you when there is a lot of moisture in the air.

But it could be -20 say somewhere in central Europe and it wouldn't feel as bad (assuming you are wrapped up well in both scenarios).

Love,

Mr. Frost

xxx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

42Celcius in Melbourne and I cried.

-10 in Scotland and I was wandering around happy out.

I'm definitely happier in the cold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Not at first, but after about 30 mins, it sucks. I do a fair bit of work in blast freezers, -27, -40 somtimes -even your snot freezes,Mmm. Metal snaps fairly easily(usually why i'm there, to fix whatevers snapped).
    Can stick about 25-30 degrees of heat, stick as in "walk around and function on a basic level". Above that I sort of melt and flop around. As for working at above 30, forget it, it's probably not going to happen. BTW, when you walk out of a -30 blast freezer, even the coldest day outside feels like walking out into the Bahamas for a short while.

KeithM89 wrote: »
    I was in southern portugal in june, it hit 35 and i was sweating like a dyslexic on countdown, far too hot for me. I dont think id ever go on holiday in somewhere like Dubai.

Yeah, Dubai is a joke. Can't think of a single reason to go there. Oil rich wannabe NY in the desert. Built by impoverished immigrant workers who for all intents and purposes are slaves.

You can't drink. You can't kiss your OH. It's such a fcuking celtic tiger holiday destination.

Love,

Mr. Frost

xxx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

About three fiddy.

Can we call it a day on this yet? No offence but I think it's had its day in the sun.

Jev/N wrote: »
    It's the nighttime temperature that's really the issue. When it's in the 30s and you're trying to sleep, the AC isn't much help

Yeah, then you have to open the window and there's probably badgers and what not making noise outside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Worked in 43 deg in W.Oz and twas grand. Must have been only half that in Singapore and the humidity nearly killed me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

I´ve been here 9 days so far, and I don't think I've had a day below 35C, all my days have been between 35C-40C. But I've been ok with it, not too bad actually, mostly around the 40C mark like I say.

The real test is what can you cope with lying on the sunbed without a breeze. 40 would put you out of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

keith16 wrote: »
    Again, depends on humidity. -3 or 4 over here would cut through you when there is a lot of moisture in the air.

But it could be -20 say somewhere in central Europe and it wouldn't feel as bad (assuming you are wrapped up well in both scenarios).
    I can assure you that -20 in central Europe is unbearable. No matter how many layers you have, it gets through. I can only imagine what it'd be like if they had any kind of strong winds.

Anything between -5 and 0 there feels like something between 5 and 10 in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

About 40C in Rome was close to my limit although I think a person will acclimatise to most temps.
    I enjoy cold weather as long as it's proper cold weather as opposed to the Irish winter of damp/mild/frosty/rainy. It's just misery.
    Hot weather is grand but I won't be out in it much. I do enjoy it from the shade with a drink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

keith16 wrote: »

Love,

Mr. Frost

xxx

I left Ireland in June wearing a black jacket, combats and boots.Temp in Dublin was about 15(in June) Arrived here and it was 29c, nearly fainted in the heat. Six months later I was in Prague in -25 and i wore the same combats, same black jacket and same boots and felt very comfortable. Humidity is the key.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I struggle to cope with the warmth generated from using a winter duvet during the summer. Goddam tog values!

Give me the Irish climate any day of the week

I love the cold

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭stevek93

Who voted 45c+ :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I've been in 50c + heat for a few weeks at a time and survived. Wasn't fun at first but you sure do grow to appreciate cold showers and impromptu jumping off bridge into river sessions.

That said humidity bothers me a lot more than heat.
    Like, in Arkansas visiting a friend and it was 105f (40c) and humidity in the 90% range I thought I was going to die, probably didn't help that I was on a roof for hours at a time though.

Florida was much the same for me, 105-110f-ish, 92% humidity, hell on earth.

Valle Del Sadde, Ecuador, 50c (120f-ish) and only about 20% humidity and I was grand, ate alive by ****ing mosquitos but the heat wasn't a bother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Hottest I've felt so far is 47. Should get hotter than that before the end of August. The weather here goes from very hot and dry to not as hot but very humid. Neither is great but I'd take the dry heat for sure.

It all depends on the location. I've been to places in the high 30's and low 40's that were on a coastline and weren't very humid. They were nice. California, Canary Islands, New South Wales region..All ok weather wise because there was a breeze.

Florida, New York, Boston when it's hot are awful. The Humidity is unbelievable.

I'd take a good sunny Irish day over anything. Even when you are dying with the heat there, it's never as bad as in other places. Eire Abu!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Wife and I managed with 40+ abroad - it helped though that it was along a coastline.

Seaneh wrote: »
    I've been in 50c + heat for a few weeks at a time and survived. Wasn't fun at first but you sure do grow to appreciate cold showers and impromptu jumping of bridge into river sessions.

That said humidity bothers me a lot more than heat.
    Like, in Arkansas visiting a friend and it was 105f (40c) and humidity in the 90% range I thought I was going to die, probably didn't help that I was on a roof for hours at a time though.

Florida was much the same for me, 105-110f-ish, 92% humidity, hell on earth.

Valle Del Sadde, Ecuador, 50c (120f-ish) and only about 20% humidity and I was grand, ate alive by ****ing mosquitos but the heat wasn't a bother.

So the bridge just fell into the river in other words :confused:

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Hottest I've felt so far is 47. Should get hotter than that before the end of August. The weather here goes from very hot and dry to not as hot but very humid. Neither is great but I'd take the dry heat for sure.

It all depends on the location. I've been to places in the high 30's and low 40's that were on a coastline and weren't very humid. They were nice. California, Canary Islands, New South Wales region..All ok weather wise because there was a breeze.

Florida, New York, Boston when it's hot are awful. The Humidity is unbelievable.

I'd take a good sunny Irish day over anything. Even when you are dying with the heat there, it's never as bad as in other places. Eire Abu!

Man, I was in NY last July and it was sweltering! I remember stopping for lunch somewhere and I said to the waiter with my big thick Irish head "ah shure it's grand, will sit outside like...it's sunny"

He looked at me funny and went off inside. So I sat there melting into the Manhattan sidewalk, wondering why no-one else was sitting outside.

After 5 mins I couldn't take it anymore and wandered inside where I was greeted with a packed restaurant, the air conditioning blasting beautiful cold air in my face and the waiter laughing in my face.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭OMARS_COMING_

i wonder what the average sauna is?

I have been in a few saunas in my day and i sweat like a mo fo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

I hate the heat. Anything over about 18C is too much for me. I also have a sunlight allergy so avoid hot countries at all costs. I love the cold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

53 degrees in the UAE (though officially it never goes above 50;))

Not exactly pleasant mind but is fine for sitting around or in the pool. Get you pissed quick, having to drink your beer in less than 5 mins or it gets hot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

around 90

I have been in a few saunas in my day and i sweat like a mo fo.

Did you see that episode of peep show where Jez walks into the sauna, thinks to himself "...could use the sauna line..." before telling the patrons of the sauna...."Wow, it's like a sauna in here" :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

I survived 40C+ temperatures in Portugal and Dubai but I spent most of my time in air conditioned apartments and only went outside after 8pm

Although, for some reason, I can't seem to be able to cope with 20C+ while in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 38 neumie

Humidity is the killer for me. I was in Spain many many years ago and it was around 35c most days but it was a nice dry heat. It only really bothered me at night.

The weather we have had here over the last few weeks has been much worse than anything I experienced in Spain.

I prefer the cold though. I am at my happiest when temperatures are between 0 and 10c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

I'm like a fcuking lizard! I'll adapt to heat no problem, as long as it's below 50!

Was on holiday once and it was 54 degrees. That was a bit too much!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭SdoowSirhc

I was in Las Vegas a few years ago when I was only a young lad :P It was about 47 C but it was extremely dry, felt fine. 26 C at home would have you sweating as much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Have yet to find my limit. Used to live in the US Deep South, so I know ALL about the humidity. That's the kicker. A 110 degree day in Vegas with dry desert heart don't got nuttin on Atlanta in July, when the temp may be a paltry 90 degrees, but the humidity is off the charts. When people here give out about the weather here being very muggy, I want to slap them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Scholars of AH help me. All this talk of 90% humidity etc. does 100% humdity = rain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Scholars of AH help me. All this talk of 90% humidity etc. does 100% humdity = rain.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humidity

Generally refers to the volume of water in the air. 100% means that the air is carrying all of the water that it can. Afaik, it starts to rain when this changes (i.e. the air is carrying more water than possible, so the water falls away). I could be wrong, but it would explain why rain on a humid day can make it feel a lot more comfortable by reducing the amount of water in the air.

As others have said, the humidity is the killer. It touched 40C while I was in Vegas, and although it was hot in the actual sun and blinding without sunglasses, I didn't find it uncomfortable. I can recall being much more uncomfortable on a 25+ day in Ireland. It was actually a little chilly once the sun went down.

As the wiki article above says, higher humidity reduces the effectiveness of sweating. So high humidity at 30c is worse than zero humidity at 40c because your body is having difficulty cooling down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

A few of us were in Arizona a couple of years back and it was averaging at 35 degrees, highest being 39 but it was just heat from the sun none of this humidity sh1te. It was nice once you kept up your fluid intake. Its 19 degrees here at the moment but the humidity is 63% and its awful.

Advertisement