Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting Bull mastiff to listen...

• 08-08-2012 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

hey everyone,
    i am currently minding my mums bull mastiff puppy(9months) for her while she's away, I'm trying to do some basic training with her. so far she can sit and stay on command, sometimes it takes a few mins as if she's looking at me to make sure I'm serious lol i suppose just a normal stubborn mastiff!!

so on to the stubborn part I'm trying to teach her to come as really it is one of the most important commands but were both finding it a little hard. i can get her to come(with a lot of effort) when i have her sitting and staying for me but if were out walking and she smells something interesting or stops to smell something she won't come or move really until she's finished sniffing what ever or i pull her away, which is hard considering her size:roll eyes: this also happenens if she sees something and wants to run towards it, I'm trying to hold her back telling her to come/sit but she just ignores me:( of course i try to distract her before she sees something interesting but this isn't always possible!

i always have treats on me when we are out and use them when getting her to do different commands but sometimes she doesn't care if i have a treat or not she just doesn't listen :(

so does anyone have any advice on how to get her to listen better or maybe make me more interesting?:cool: really want to get the come command sorted asap so any advice on that or any good training links
    thanks
    ps sorry about the extremely long op!!

Advertisement