Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finding accommodation in London

Options
  • 08-08-2012 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Moving over to London in October and just have a quick question regarding finding accommodation.

I'm looking for something for between £400-500 in around the Wimbledon area. The question i have is when i turn up to view a room is it likely there will be a Q of people outside waiting on viewing. I have experienced this in Dublin and Sydney (where it took over 2 months to find a room) in the past.

Have any of the London boardies experienced this in London and how long usually does it take to secure a room?

Thanks folks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

I've never seen an actual queue but its not uncommon for rooms / flats advertised in places like loot or to be gone by the time you call to arrange a viewing, a lot of competition for the nice places , naturally. This is usually 100 times worse when the students head back to college in sept.

Get up early !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

Mynamehere wrote: »
    Moving over to London in October and just have a quick question regarding finding accommodation.

I'm looking for something for between £400-500 in around the Wimbledon area. The question i have is when i turn up to view a room is it likely there will be a Q of people outside waiting on viewing. I have experienced this in Dublin and Sydney (where it took over 2 months to find a room) in the past.

Have any of the London boardies experienced this in London and how long usually does it take to secure a room?

Thanks folks.

Get ready for the pain.. Wimbledon is quite a pricey area. I'd expand your search to cover Tooting/Streatham, you would get something for that money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

I did it in a week of fairly intensive searching last time and I'm hoping to repeat that next week

Which reminds me: if anyone knows of a room going in central London then please drop me a pm!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Mynamehere

Thanks Lads.

Might head over a few weeks before the job starts to get it sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

London Rental market is crazy at the moment.

BBC reporting that it is at an all time high as banks aren't lending so would be first time buyers are in the rental market.

I've been looking for a two bed in Twickenham/St Margarets/ Richmond area for over a month and haven't had any luck yet. As I live in Bristol I've only been able to do house viewings once or twice a week and with a budget of 1250 (without bills) for a two bed I am looking at the bottom end of a market and have consequently seen some absolutely horrid places.

I think what is most disconcerting is that one place we found we put a bid in at asking 1250 only to be told that a higher bid had gone in, we backed out but were told that it eventually got leased for 1300.
    Currently I'm in bristol in a duplex three bed and paying £383 a month in what would be one of the best locations in town. I hazard to guess that if this place got moved to london I would be paying four times that. - But that's london for you!

I think the most important thing is to be in London while searching, the good places don't last for long as I think the agents are fairly happy to just let a property within a day of a decent offer, collect their fee and move on to the next one.

If anyone reading this happens to know of a double bedroom going in the richmond/twickenham area send me a pm and i'd be most appreciative!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

I'm looking for something for between £400-500 in around the Wimbledon area.
    Does that include bills and council tax? That kind of budget strikes me as pretty ambitious for Wimbledon. As suggested above, you might have more success if you consider places a bit further east.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

Possible room available in North Ealing in a large 4 bed top floor apartment. Lovely location, currently 3 other Irish guys renting here, the 4th person has being offered a job in Oz and will no by Monday whether he will be taking it.

Please contact me if interested.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

This thread is not gumtree or spareroom, so please don't be posting the same sort of ads or personal information you might post there. On a general basis I don't think there's a problem with people mentioning that they've got a room going, but keep it short (location, number of people) and keep contact to PM please.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

Was half expecting a reply from one of the Mods. Thanks for informing me. I should of asked before I posted. Cheers for sorting out my original post.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭monalitto

Hi I hope its ok to say I'm looking for a flat share in London also - preferably around Holloway Road, N7 area, where I work.
    If anyone knows of someone looking to rent a room I'd greatly appreciate :) not easy to find someplace!!

thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭monalitto

monalitto wrote: »
    Hi I hope its ok to say I'm looking for a flat share in London also - preferably around Holloway Road, N7 area, where I work.
    If anyone knows of someone looking to rent a room I'd greatly appreciate :) not easy to find someplace!!

thanks.

hi again, that last post was from my son (29) he's working in London. He's still looking for a decent place to stay - double room/flat share/house share if anyone has any leads please pm me, thanks :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

spareroom and gumtree are your friends. A bit of trawling through ads and setting time for viewings and your son will find something.

Advertisement