Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with boss filling out form.

Options
  • 08-08-2012 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭

I am applying for Family Income Supplement, and part of the application form needs to be completed by my employer. I handed him the page from the form today and asked him to complete it for me. It's simply my weekly hours, my rate of pay and my earnings year to date. He is refusing to fill it in unless I show him the entire compelted form. I'm not very comfortable doing this, it has a lot of personal information, such as the amount of maintenance paid by my ex, my rent amount etc. I got a shock when he asked me for the rest of the form and I told him I'd bring it tomorrow. Do I have to show him the completed form?

Note: His exact words were 'I need to see the rest of the form'. Now I know by his tone he is expecting to see a completed form. I was thinking of handing him a blank application, he can see what other info is required from me but not my answers, and if he asks further can I just say no?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

I would say, yes you can say no. I think it is a good idea to give him the blank form. It may just be that in the past he was stung with someone doing something they shouldn't. Probably he just wants to be sure what it is you are applying for and that he is not providing information which will help you defraud the state.
    Give him the blank form, then he can see what it is he is providing the info for. If at that stage he is still reluctant, perhaps instead ask for a letter of confirmation or a statement providing your earnings, pay etc year to date. Then include this with the application and explain that your employer will not sign the form but instead has given you a letter/statement confirming the same details. I don't see why there would be any further problem with this - like I say, he probably just wants to know what it is he is putting his signature to.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I can understand where your employer is coming from in regards to this form.
    I know a company md and his employees have asked him to sign forms for all types of social welfare. Some time his employees are not entitled to what they are looking for as he will check this out before signing any forms.
    Also revenue/social welfare do check up on the forms they get with an employers details and signature.
    If you show your employer a blank fis form and explain fis is a tax free sum of money which you hope to get each week for the next year. They may not be aware of this and also you are not increasing your employers tax or prsi bill.
    I would also tell them that they can find out more information on http://www.citizensinformation.ie & put in family income supplement.
    If they are unwilling to sign the form I would get a letter from them on company paper stating yours hours and income from work.
    Good Luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

fab lady wrote: »
    I know a company md and his employees have asked him to sign forms for all types of social welfare. Some time his employees are not entitled to what they are looking for as he will check this out before signing any forms.

As mentioned in my earlier post, I can understand an employer querying what form they are signing and to what purpose, it is not for the employer to determine if an employee is entitled to what they are claiming. The form is just that - a claim, a request. The employer signing it does not automatically mean they will be approved for something they are not entitled to. It is for the social welfare to decide upon the merits of the claim, not an employer.

An employee may have personal financial circumstances which the employer is not aware of, such as a partner's income, personal family circumstances, etc etc. So if your MD is deciding what an employee can and can't claim and what they are and are not entitled to from social welfare he a busy body with too much time on his hands!

all he sould be concerned is that the employee's name and id details are on the form - this is so that when he fills it in stating employee earns x/y/z income, then this information is pertaining to the applicant (i.e if you give a totally blank form with nothing on it and he puts in your income etc, you could then go and put a different name on the form - so in which case he would be party to a fraud if this were the case). But other than the basic information which confirms the applicant is the employee they are giving information about, their involvement as to who gets what ends.

Advertisement