Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting work as a Teacher?

• 08-08-2012 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi everyone,

Just have a query for you all, if some of you could help me out. I have recently qualified as a secondary school teacher this summer and I am obviously looking for work in this area. However I am working part time for the summer but I have been offered work until January 2012 and the money is very good and I would be making a nice profit at the end of the week. My problem is whether I should continue with this job or continue looking for work in schools and that area. My concern would be if I go to schools with CVs and get offered work but it is only a few hours a week is it worth while also if a school rings with supervision perhaps and I say I am working will it go against me?? Also come January will it look bad on me if I am working in another area? In other words should I continue working while I have it or should I focus solely on work in education. I hope someone understands my predicament and can give some suggestions, thanking you.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭2011abc

By no means an expert but my 2c is that 'in the current climate' you'd be as well keep working putting the few bob in the account every week-and keep 'unemployed' off periods of your CV- .I think the employment situation for teachers is so bad it wouldnt matter if you had a Masters you would struggle desperately to get a job .Then if you COULD get one youd be lucky to be earning more than dole money :-( Good luck .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

I agree with the above poster. There's no guarantee that you'll get a job teaching and if you do, the chances are it won't be anything close to full hours. If you have a job that will pay well guaranteed (or close to guaranteed) until January it would be foolish not to take it.
    If that job is flexible with you, you might still be in a position to apply for teaching jobs (if they're willing to give you time off for interviews etc.).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Christy001 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

Just have a query for you all, if some of you could help me out. I have recently qualified as a secondary school teacher this summer and I am obviously looking for work in this area. However I am working part time for the summer but I have been offered work until January 2012 and the money is very good and I would be making a nice profit at the end of the week. My problem is whether I should continue with this job or continue looking for work in schools and that area. My concern would be if I go to schools with CVs and get offered work but it is only a few hours a week is it worth while also if a school rings with supervision perhaps and I say I am working will it go against me?? Also come January will it look bad on me if I am working in another area? In other words should I continue working while I have it or should I focus solely on work in education. I hope someone understands my predicament and can give some suggestions, thanking you.

if you are looking for work as a teacher join a very long queue. its very often a catch 22 situation- work your part time job and actually make some money or work a few hours here and there in a school or a few schools over the academic year. if you want to build a career as a teacher then schools prefer the latter. schools are looking for experience. there will be jobs in January. its important to get that experience to seethe different schools out there and see which one best suits you.

Advertisement