Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Olympic Games

Options
  • 08-08-2012 10:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭

I was wondering, is there many people working with sports clubs in Waterford City or County who tried to get tickets to go and see events in the Olympics but were unable to get tickets.

A number of elected representatives in this county of ours have managed to get tickets and most would not know about sport if it bit them in the face. OK some are seen now and again at different sporting events across Waterford, but its often in some official capacity, with a chain or two hanging around their neck (self importance and all that) and having got in without having to put their hand in their pockets.

It makes me sick to see people who work hard in any sport, promoting it, coaching young boys and girls from a young age, transporting young people to and from events etc and when it comes to getting tickets for big events they cant get them, yet these people because they had letters put before or after their name after standing for election in an election can through what ever contacts they have not only manage to get tickets but often to get some of the best in the house. Whats even worse, in a short space of time some are absolute experts in the sports they are choosing to go and watch or get involved with in some way.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭decies

Bloke across the road son got tickets to the men's 100 m final :-0

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

Jessie Barr from Dunmore East is running in the women's 4x400m relay on Friday.

Nothing surprises me about elected reps and jaunts.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Brianne

Well done Katie Taylor. A great day for the Irish.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

deisemum wrote: »
    Jessie Barr from Dunmore East is running in the women's 4x400m relay on Friday.

Nothing surprises me about elected reps and jaunts.

Never knew. Just gave her a plug on the Discover Tramore Facebook/Twitter. Hope she does well!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Bill O'Herlihy's daughter was "lucky" enough to get tickets to the boxing final today. Lucky girl that one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

I aPplied for tickets and got offered quite a few in the ballots, including the womens boxing, there where plenty of tickets around at cost price if you bothered your hole to get in early and apply through the appropriate channels supplying your passpOrt details etc.... It's all to easy to b1tch and moan when the games are on but the tIcnets where available to Irish people at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Somewhat related but what ever happened to that girl Kelly Proper? I was talking to this guy on a night out a few years ago and he said to put money on her to win a Olympic medal in the long jump (i think) within the next 8 years. He was so adamant about the bet it kinda stuck with me and I used to hear her name on the radio every now and again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭south

injured most of this year i think.

Waterford's Jessie Barr says it's all systems go for the Irish team for tonight's 4 by 400 metres relay run.The 23 year old from Dunmore East was given the news last weekend that she'll run the third leg along with Marianne Heffernan, Joanne Cuddihy and Michelle Carey. Jessie who's the first ever Olympian from the Ferrybank club says she can't wait for the race: Race time is 7-05

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Heard that on the radio just now which means I take it they have no got a chance in hell unless about five teams screw up the baton change. Still funny things can happen in a relay, good luck to them/her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭thomas01

My wife bought tickets to Katie's semi final only about two weeks ago so it's not impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Avox

The first post here sounds like a child sulking.. tickets were sold on a lottery basis, and if you didn't get the, tough luck, you didn't try hard enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

http://www.olympicsport.ie/sports/athletics/6008-athlete-family-and-friends-tickets.html

athletics Ireland had s system of free ticketing for friends and family also.

Kelly proper was unfortunate with injuries. Maybe Brazil, she is still young, 23 I believe

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭membersonly

AdMMM wrote: »
    Bill O'Herlihy's daughter was "lucky" enough to get tickets to the boxing final today. Lucky girl that one.

Can you flesh that out a bit?

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Mulbert

A friend of mine got tickets for womens boxing semi final and final whenever the ticket lottery was held. He is a sports fan with a love of almost all sports. It didn't matter what sports he won a ticket for. His only wish was for a land based sport not involving horses. He got the boxing and diving I think. Passed up on the diving and got a ticket for the track. If people wanted to go to the Olympic boxing final they should have applied before Kattie got to the final. Fair play to her and all the other boxers and Irish competitors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

With the past few days I have heard John O'Leary and Damien Geogheghan on WLR talking about how they had tickets for Katie Taylors matches and someone told me that they say on Ciara Conway's facebook page she has pictures of the boxing ring. It's amazing how councillors and TD's are just lucky how they got the tickets, or have friends in high places to get them for them and their is plenty of others who could not even get near a ticket for any event.

The Irish boxers didn't get tickets for Katie's fight and had to watch it in the Irish house.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Black Suir wrote: »
    With the past few days I have heard John O'Leary and Damien Geogheghan on WLR talking about how they had tickets for Katie Taylors matches and someone told me that they say on Ciara Conway's facebook page she has pictures of the boxing ring. It's amazing how councillors and TD's are just lucky how they got the tickets, or have friends in high places to get them for them and their is plenty of others who could not even get near a ticket for any event.

Or, just maybe, they got tickets fair and square just like others have reported doing so in this thread? It seems a bit far fetched to suggest that just because they are a "person of power" that its automatically a ticket achieved through a completely different system than the normal joe soap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭xxyyxx

Nobody is going along with your conspiracy theory. Give it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

I'd be amazed if Ms Conway got her ticket in the same way that joe soap would have to. Not that I'd begrudge her btw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭membersonly

This is hilarious, it wasn't hard to get tickets for these events, there is no issue here. Get a life.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭curly.bert

I was wondering, is there many people working with sports clubs in Waterford City or County who tried to get tickets to go and see events in the Olympics but were unable to get tickets.

A number of elected representatives in this county of ours have managed to get tickets and most would not know about sport if it bit them in the face. OK some are seen now and again at different sporting events across Waterford, but its often in some official capacity, with a chain or two hanging around their neck (self importance and all that) and having got in without having to put their hand in their pockets.

It makes me sick to see people who work hard in any sport, promoting it, coaching young boys and girls from a young age, transporting young people to and from events etc and when it comes to getting tickets for big events they cant get them, yet these people because they had letters put before or after their name after standing for election in an election can through what ever contacts they have not only manage to get tickets but often to get some of the best in the house. Whats even worse, in a short space of time some are absolute experts in the sports they are choosing to go and watch or get involved with in some way.

Myself and the missus were lucky enough to have tickets for the ladies boxing final. One of the best experiences of my life!

I applied through the ticket lottery almost a year ago. Put in for tickets in about 10 events and got offered 2. The boxing final and table tennis.

It was a bit of a punt as at that stage Katie Taylor hadn't even qualified for the Olympics. Met loads of Irish at the ExCel and heaps of 'em had bought tickets early. There were still tickets going for the boxing up to two weeks ago on the official website (granted in the more expensive seats)

I'm sure they put some tix aside for VIPs, but it's like anything. Practically everyone I know who applied last September got something. It was a bit of a pain as there was no guarantee you'd get tickets and had to provide lots of info, including passport and credit cards. Well worth it though!!!

Just as a matter of interest OP, did these people who didn't attend the event put in for tickets?

(for the record, table tennis was savage too. Very hypnotic!)

Advertisement