Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance & DOE on converted T5

• 08-08-2012 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭

I'm nearing the end of the conversion on our T5 (van to poptop 4 berth - 2 for VRT inspection though ;)) and have turned my attention to figuring out what paperwork etc. I need to attend to as I want to start arranging things to shorten the amount of time it will take as much as possible.

I know I need to sort out the change to a motor caravan (and associated VRT :() with the relevant forms, SQI reports, etc. Where's good & convenient (& preferably cheap) to get the SQI done in Kildare/Dublin?

I'm not so sure on the whole DOE & insurance side though?

I will need a DOE (and inspection?) in order to sort the tax but I can't get that until after I've got confirmation of the change of type or can I get it while it's still down as a commercial?

As for insurance I think Dolmen are out as their documents still seem to require a 1.8M internal height (though no mention of poptops!) and, more importantly, a walkthrough from front to back. While we do intend to change the double to a single down the line, funds will not permit it at this stage so first insurance needs to be without this stipulation. I believe Stuart's are less picky about this?

Where's good to get the engineers report done in Dublin/Kildare?

Any and all advice is most welcome at this stage!

Comments

M50 Truck Centre do engineer reports which is 2 stops down the M50 from Dolmen. Best call into dolmen in person if you want to speed things along. This is peak time for camper insurance you'll be waiting by the phone otherwise.

I'm sure you'll find the rest of the info you need if you use the search this forum option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

I'm nearing the end of the conversion on our T5 (van to poptop 4 berth - 2 for VRT inspection though ;)) and have turned my attention to figuring out what paperwork etc. I need to attend to as I want to start arranging things to shorten the amount of time it will take as much as possible.

I know I need to sort out the change to a motor caravan (and associated VRT :() with the relevant forms, SQI reports, etc. Where's good & convenient (& preferably cheap) to get the SQI done in Kildare/Dublin?

I tried looking around and all were too expensive, Cawleys in Sligo ended up being the best option and they are well used to the process now. €25 to get it inspected with them.
    I'm not so sure on the whole DOE & insurance side though?

I will need a DOE (and inspection?) in order to sort the tax but I can't get that until after I've got confirmation of the change of type or can I get it while it's still down as a commercial?

I went to the tax office to try get it changed on the logbook from MPV to Camper with the letter from the CVO, however they said that I needed a DOE. I protested as I didn't want to tax it at that time, only change the chasis type, but they insisted on it. I explained to the guys in the DOE centre to test it as a camper even though it was down as an MPV on the logbook (which would need an NCT normally) told them the story and went ahead with it.
    As for insurance I think Dolmen are out as their documents still seem to require a 1.8M internal height (though no mention of poptops!) and, more importantly, a walkthrough from front to back. While we do intend to change the double to a single down the line, funds will not permit it at this stage so first insurance needs to be without this stipulation. I believe Stuart's are less picky about this?

Dolmen are quite strict on the walkthrough, not sure about Stuarts but you also have O'Donovans insurance who are brokers for travellers insurance. Worth looking into both, a 5min phone call should be all you need to get the answer!
    Where's good to get the engineers report done in Dublin/Kildare?

Any and all advice is most welcome at this stage!

Any SIMI registered garage can do the report, just print it off and drop it into your local garage. General charge is probably around 50/60e

Advertisement