Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accidental fill of diesel. Very costly.

Options
  • 08-08-2012 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

A friend filled her car accidentaly with diesel - cost 45 euro. Cost of removing the diesel from her car at the service station - 200 euro. So the guy that removed the diesel gets the 45 euros worth of diesel and 200 euro - total 245 euro.
    She then filled her car with 45 euros of petrol. Total cost 290 euro.
    No forgiveness from the service station.
    I thought fuel pumps had been changed so that it is impossible to fill with incorrect fuel?
    Expensive error.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I myself have a fondness for choc-ice's.

Do you know where I can find a nice coffee mug?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Saw a woman fill her BMW X5 with the incorrect fuel in Craughwell one day. The fuel nozzles for petrol cars are generally thinner than diesel ones now but if the car is a bit older then it makes no difference.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Cost of siphon tube €2 , is your friend blonde?? :D

You may have up to €5 worth of the "wrong fuel" in your car but as long as you fill to the brim with the right fuel and dilute it to fcuk then no damage will be done.

deccurley wrote: »
    Saw a woman fill her BMW X5 with the incorrect fuel in Craughwell one day. The fuel nozzles for petrol cars are generally thinner than diesel ones now but if the car is a bit older then it makes no difference.

That'll learn her for driving a horrible car.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Cost of siphon tube €2 , is your friend blonde?? :D

You may have up to €5 worth of the "wrong fuel" in your car but as long as you fill to the brim with the right fuel and dilute it to fcuk then no damage will be done.

I'd say the cost is for the mechanic who did it to dispose of the Fuel as it's illegal for him to sell it and it's rather expensive to dispose of unwanted diesel. Also dumping it would lead to a pretty hefty fine.

• Advertisement

Poor woman was had. Typical of what a lot of mechanics do to women customers. :(

The diesel would have gone into a diesel car or van no problem ( might have needed to stand a bit to let the petrol fumes mixed in vent off ) and with more diesel added for diesely goodness to dilute what was left.

OH!, I forgot. Nobody has diesel cars nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Used to happen with my garage all the time and we would just use the diesel or petrol to clean the oil off the floors
    It is a shame but most don't want to have the petrol back
    One or two lads would say if they came down with an old oil drum could they take it home and obviously they could it's their fuel
    But most didn't care what we did with it

Poor woman was had. Typical of what a lot of mechanics do to women customers. :(

The diesel would have gone into a diesel car or van no problem ( might have needed to stand a bit to let the petrol fumes mixed in vent off ) and with more diesel added for diesely goodness to dilute what was left.

OH!, I forgot. Nobody has diesel cars nowadays.

Odds are there was a lot more than use "fumes" in the tank when she filled up.

Even if her "light" was, the reserve is several liters of petrol.

It would have been fine to throw into a fuel tank for central heating (assuming that the tank have a large vloume of diesel/Kerosene in it already) but odds are there would have been too much petrol in it to put into a diesel car engine.

In fairness, it's her own fault, the service station had no reason to show her sympathy.

A 'reserve' amount of petrol is no problem to a diesel engine if you fill the rest of the tank to the brim with diesel.

Like I say she was had by that mechanic. There may be extenuating circumstances like the car was new and she called out the local BMW garage themselves who'd easily charge €200...for siphoning a tank FFS. :(

A 'reserve' amount of petrol is no problem to a diesel engine if you fill the rest of the tank to the brim with diesel.

Like I say she was had by that mechanic. There may be extenuating circumstances like the car was new and she called out the local BMW garage themselves who'd easily charge €200...for siphoning a tank FFS. :(

one or two liters in a fulltank won't do any damage, but the reserve in most cars is 8liters+.

Besides, she didn't pay that much for syphoning, she paid that much for disposal of a hazardous waste.
    They also flush the system to make sure it's clean.

It's the standard amount you'd pay anywhere to have it done.

She wasn't ripped off, she was just stupid.

• Advertisement

She was stupid AND ripped off Seaneh...unless she called a dealership to keep a warranty on a new car intact of course. If it was a 10 year old Fiesta she was ripped off rotten. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭flynnlives

200EUROS!! WTF!

Name and shame!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

First World Problems. Did she not have any guy like yourself she could have called? Short length of hose and get sucking. No big deal. Happened all the time when I worked in a Statoil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭scholar007

U2sir wrote: »
    I thought fuel pumps had been changed so that it is impossible to fill with incorrect fuel?

Those dastardly fuel retailers, deliberately confusing customers so that they get them to buy petrol as well as diesel. Thats awful! God be with the days when lads used to be employed to fill cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Wrong forum.
    She should have asked in Motors before taking the mechanics advice.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement