Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

C&C please!

• 08-08-2012 11:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I've been trying in the past month or so to really practice taking pics, and particularly to get more into using the manual functions on the camera. Below are the ones that I am happiest with, however I'm aware they are far from perfect, just wondering if anyone would have some feedback on how these could have been improved?

Thanks!

8189C33D1C5E490790E6B88D5B2A5D09-0000356409-0002963363-00800L-A337A19E876145F48DFC8202F20A49B5.jpg

9029606ED9894578B6A8C4CF45BB8B13-0000356409-0002963364-00800L-BE7F4C4E4DB6415A80315DA4DDCA08EB.jpg

26BAFB3525D844FBB56CD429802FE05B-0000356409-0002948468-00800L-BDED4425791044459893024955E3B99A.jpg

D9F37A4A2C4941BE823111FA66D06C3C-0000356409-0002884251-00800L-4A985FB67C7E4D59B5CADAF1F7DAD6B6.jpg

688696D0932C4D42BA478F9BF784716B-0000356409-0002939263-00800L-38D82D6807394A7882682F5B83AA7800.jpg

964FE25E260542609F27E1A552FDDFC7-0000356409-0002948474-00800L-BEFADB7D8AFF449591C5E72BA8A87711.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭amdgilmore

On second thoughts, I don't think somebody with my lack of experience should be offering C&C - even if it was complimentary! So I deleted that post.

Better photographers will be along soon. Nothing to see here :pac:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

They are all generally well composed and processed.
    The first two capture the Irish town event wonderfully.

The moonscape is nice, conisder a grad filter to darken the moon so you can see it's features, maybe.

The protrait of the girl is fantastic, probably my favourite.

The rusty pipe is uninteresting.

The bee is nicely framed, the bee is facing away, however bees aren't easy to capture.
    It looks a bit hazy, have you used some sort of macro attachment or is this a processing technique you've used.

Keep doing what you're doing, you've got a great eye for photography. If you're daunted by some of the technical stuff just come on here and ask, but keep posting images!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Thumpette

Thanks a million for the feedback.

The little girl is my niece, gorgeous big blue eyes and she'll never be short of childhood pics of herself while I'm about!

I was using some cheapie extension tubes for the bee one, really hard to get anything in focus but I loved the colours and the hazy effect in the end.

Will look into a grad filter, thanks again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Portrait- great.
    1st one almost good, if only I could see more details of his face. Nice background blur.
    As above for the others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

1 & 4 are excellent, love the way you have them looking into the frame.
    Well done on all.

• Advertisement

Thanks all,

I definitely find it most interesting to take pictures of people.

dinneenp, when you say about the detail in the first guys face do you mean it would have been better at a more front on angle for him, or more something to do with the exposure/ processing?

Cheers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

A few comments, hopefully constructive - we're all learning, so anything I put forward that you don't agree with you may be best dispensing with! or reverting to at a later stage(?)

Anyhow;

#1 is ok to me, Pity the subject is a little 'vacant'. Technically competent. Candids are generally of the person in the moment so this checks that box but imho candids are better when they convey something. That's probably why I think its a bit vacant. A nice capture but just lacking 'punch' in the composition. A little heavy on the contrast but that appears to be a style you were aiming for?

#2 is a car in a parade. hmnn... not much else to it (for me) however if you were a vintage enthusiast then perhaps you'd be all goo'ing and gah'ing. Again technically competent. Nice and sharp. High on the contrast front (again, a style perhaps?)

#3 is quite beautiful bordering on the serene. peaceful and poetic. nice one!

#4 the portrait is really nice and her mum would be (should be!) very pleased with it. To be really picky (and i'm being a right git for even saying it but it is c&c after all), the depth of field is too narrow - check the left eye (on right of image). Gone a tad soft. One other minor glitch in its production imho is careful how low you shoot people from particularly girls / ladies - no easier way of putting it, but up nose is never flattering. Low angles work better with men than women. Apparently it is something to do with a more heroic poise from a low angle which works with a lad / male physique. You get away with it here (I think) unless someone is picky about things too. Love the delicacy between the face to the sky. Great lighting.

#5 the rusty pipe. Nothing in it for me. Hard to see it conveying anything in particular.

#6 bees can be awkward buggers to capture in camera. Just as you set it up nicely they've moved away from where they were and you have to set it up again. Here you've lost the front of the bee and the back of a bee is well not a particular sight to behold. So composition with bees are probably something that you have to give time and lots of it. Also very difficult if you are trying for very narrow depth of field. But keep trying. When you get it right, it is very rewarding. On the positive side here - nice colours, nice contrast and nice light.

Hope that helps / is useful. Well done for getting them all out there.

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    A few comments, hopefully constructive - we're all learning, so anything I put forward that you don't agree with you may be best dispensing with! or reverting to at a later stage(?)

Anyhow;

#1 is ok to me, Pity the subject is a little 'vacant'. Technically competent. Candids are generally of the person in the moment so this checks that box but imho candids are better when they convey something. That's probably why I think its a bit vacant. A nice capture but just lacking 'punch' in the composition. A little heavy on the contrast but that appears to be a style you were aiming for?

#2 is a car in a parade. hmnn... not much else to it (for me) however if you were a vintage enthusiast then perhaps you'd be all goo'ing and gah'ing. Again technically competent. Nice and sharp. High on the contrast front (again, a style perhaps?)

#3 is quite beautiful bordering on the serene. peaceful and poetic. nice one!

#4 the portrait is really nice and her mum would be (should be!) very pleased with it. To be really picky (and i'm being a right git for even saying it but it is c&c after all), the depth of field is too narrow - check the left eye (on right of image). Gone a tad soft. One other minor glitch in its production imho is careful how low you shoot people from particularly girls / ladies - no easier way of putting it, but up nose is never flattering. Low angles work better with men than women. Apparently it is something to do with a more heroic poise from a low angle which works with a lad / male physique. You get away with it here (I think) unless someone is picky about things too. Love the delicacy between the face to the sky. Great lighting.

#5 the rusty pipe. Nothing in it for me. Hard to see it conveying anything in particular.

#6 bees can be awkward buggers to capture in camera. Just as you set it up nicely they've moved away from where they were and you have to set it up again. Here you've lost the front of the bee and the back of a bee is well not a particular sight to behold. So composition with bees are probably something that you have to give time and lots of it. Also very difficult if you are trying for very narrow depth of field. But keep trying. When you get it right, it is very rewarding. On the positive side here - nice colours, nice contrast and nice light.

Hope that helps / is useful. Well done for getting them all out there.

Thanks a million for that feedback, incredibly helpful. Lots of things I wouldnt have even thought of, really appreciate it.

(No more up the nose shots!) ;)

Advertisement