Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Satellite Broadband

• 08-08-2012 11:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭

Hey im looking at getting new broadband but we are out of range for most popular broadband companies. we currently have eircom but only has download speeds of 25/kb's which is terrible. i think the only good broadband we can get is satellite broadband, any suggestions on good companies or any info?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,472 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Have you looked into fixed wireless broadband? Whereabouts are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Darby_321

em i think iv looked at a few but they didnt cover my area. i live in bealnamulla about 6 or 7 miles from athlone town

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Dazza

Quote from another thread:
    'www.lastmile.ie wireless cover Bealnamulla and the surrounding areas. They broadcast from the water tower in Monksland afaik. Their offices are in the Monksland business park, opposite Elan.
    Irish Broadband and Digiweb also operate in Athlone but you may be too far out. Still worth giving the a shout though.'

Source:http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=52767750

ya lastmile were bought by ripplecom, i was looking at them, they seem to be the only decent people in the area. has anyone used this company, are they any good?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Satellite is a last resort,low caps & high pings.Try as many fixed wireless companies you can to see if you get coverage.

If that fails,try one of the mobile internet dongles-they usually give you a try before you buy period & if it works take it on a pay as you go plan so you don't get tied into a contract.

• Advertisement

ok thanks, that company ripplecom are looking for €100 to do a site test, should i get the test done first or just sign up with them and see what its like??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Darby_321 wrote: »
    ok thanks, that company ripplecom are looking for €100 to do a site test, should i get the test done first or just sign up with them and see what its like??

That is the install fee that will most likely be refunded if you don't have line of sight to one of their transmitters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 eviej

Hi everyone

I am looking to get broadband. However I am finding it hard to get a service. I had a Vodafone mobile internet stick thing but it never worked after I moved to my current home in November. I attempted to get Vodafone simply broadband, however that was a bad experience, it took 4 visits to the Vodafone shop to place the order. Then they said they would call to install it and they never showed up and did not respond to any emails sent. I was later informed by eircom that they could not give me broadband as the closest exchange did not have it. The second closest exchange had broadband but they would not put up 5 poles to connect us.

So basically mobile broadband don't work and I cannot get connected to cable. So can anybody recommend a good satellite provider? That works and does not cost an arm and leg

Advertisement