Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should boxing be banned?

• 08-08-2012 11:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭

I'll start out by giving my congratulations to Katie Taylor and Paddy Barnes, I guess.

I dunno, I'm reluctant to relish victory in a 'sport' that rewards those that punch another repeatedly in the head more times than they get punched themselves. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the level of skill, athleticism and physicality necessary to excel but it's a bit barbaric. I suppose the Olympic variant is tamer but I still wince when I see someone staggering on their feet after receiving an almighty flurry of jabs. 'Protective' headgear does not prevent brain damage (Amateur boxers suffer brain damage too.) and you only need to take one look at the greatest slugger of all-time to see the devastating consequences of prolonged brain trauma.

Personally, I'd be in favour of a ban. Boxing has been banned in Norway, Iceland, Cuba, Iran and North Korea and the British, Canadian and Australian Medical Associations have all called for its prohibition.

But what do I know? I wanna hear what you guys think (though I realise tha I'm more than likely about to receive a barrage of piss-blastings and deliciously witty and derisive quips instead. Good ole AH.)

PS. And yes, I have already considered that a ban on the sport would completely neuter our Olympic prospects but it's a small to pay really, isn't it? Why don't we adopt a more placid sport like Badminton? Last time I checked, the feathers are yet to give anyone Parkinson's (I could be open to correction there, though.)

Should boxing be banned? 332 votes

Yay
    0% 0 votes
    Nay
    10% 34 votes
    Atari Jaguar
    89% 298 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

Yes. It should absolutely be banned. But only because sport is really, really boring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Behold, a WUM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

I suppose it is a form of personal abuse...are you talking about a Siteban or just a forum ban?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

Surely you'l open a can of worms if it was banned worldwide. Surely Hurling, Rugby and even Soccer are just as dangerous... Football boots, sliothars and hurls whacking the back of your head and then there are footballs hitting you at 100mph in the face.

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    I suppose it is a form of personal abuse...are you talking about a Siteban or just a forum ban?

You can hit people in the head on here? Jesus....thats going to make life easier....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,661 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Trolling should also be banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

If Cuba, Iran and N. Korea have banned it then we definitely should.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

you should ask this in the boxing forum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Banned? Banned? I'll box the head off ya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

North Korea and Iran have banned boxing?

On what grounds? That it contravenes their sensitive outlook on the importance of human life?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Amateur Boxing should be retained as a sport even if Boxing were to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Nobody is forcing anyone to do it.

They ban that, then they'll find a reason to ban Rugby, and so on..

I did hear an argument years ago, that boxing is more lethal with the gloves and padding, then it is without, as the punches and padding are more likely to rattle your brain/snap your neck..

So maybe if they brought back barefist fighting/knuckle boxing it may be safer.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,152 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Yes, ban it. Let me know how you get on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Banned in Cuba? They are some of the best boxers in the world!

Eathrin wrote: »
    Amateur Boxing should be retained as a sport

As should Foxy Boxing.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Stompbox wrote: »

Personally, I'd be in favour of a ban. Boxing has been banned in Norway, Iceland, Cuba, Iran and North Korea and the British, Canadian and Australian Medical Associations have all called for its prohibition.

Boxing is not banned in Cuba, they have a 8 man team at the Olympics

Only Pro Boxing is banned.

Also No, it shouldn't be banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭gaffer91

How about this-if you don't like it why don't you just not partake in it or watch it instead of forcing your beliefs on how it's "barbaric" on others?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Trolling should also be banned.

:eek:

Trolling should be an Olympic sport.

Clean sweep for Ireland boards.ie! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

after tommorow, yes

double GG wrote: »
    Surely you'l open a can of worms if it was banned worldwide. Surely Hurling, Rugby and even Soccer are just as dangerous... Football boots, sliothars, hurls, footballs hitting you at 100mph in the face.

Of the sports featured in the olympics, the most dangerous are the Equestrian ones. There are two broken necks on the British team, for instance.

Of pastimes most likely to kill you, fishing is apparently at the top. There are also high casualities for free rock climbing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Ah here it's the only thing we're good at. Don't take it away from us!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

Boxing has been banned in Norway, Iceland, Cuba, Iran and North Korea and the British, Canadian and Australian Medical Associations have all called for its prohibition

Yeah, when did that happen? Our Olympic medal prospects just soared.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

They know what they are getting themselves into. They choose to do it. Things like horse-riding and rugby should be banned too if you're going by injury rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Or we could let people do what they like. Also, Parkinson's is genetic. Logically if you want to ban boxing you'll need to ban all martial arts, rugby, football, hurling and basically anything with hard contact involved, since all pose a risk of injury. how about running, cycling and other individual sports with high rates of injury? I mean, just think of what would be gained for society by avoiding all those broken small bones and sprains! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Nodin wrote: »
    Of the sports featured in the olympics, the most dangerous are the Equestrian ones. There are two broken necks on the British team, for instance.

Of pastimes most likely to kill you, fishing is apparently at the top. There are also high casualities for free rock climbing.

I thought Golf was the most dangerous, maybe after skydiving.

Pherekydes wrote: »
    I thought Golf was the most dangerous, maybe after skydiving.

Skydiving Golf. Dumbass idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,273 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

So why exactly do you think it should be banned? Is it because it offends your delicate sensibilities? Or is it the risk of head trauma?

If it's the head trauma bit, well...there are a load of other sports with similar risks. I guess we better ban them too.

Should probably start playing football with a balloon too while we're at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 442 ✭✭doyle61

Here's a good idea; if you don't like watching boxing turn to another channel

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭TheBegotten

Would you prefer if they did it on the streets, unregulated, without protective equipment? I've been kickboxing since 7, my training includes some boxing. In my experience it's safer than hurling, rugby, cycling and maybe football and soccer. The point is not, as you believe, to punch seven shades of sh/te out of each other, but to score more points (shots to the head) than the other boxer. Wild throwing of punches is not encouraged, the best boxers, such as Muhammed Ali and Katie Taylor, are the ones who can take their shots, score cleanly, and pull out. Furthermore, the guard is utmost in training. I've spent many an hour with the trainer hovering over me making slight changes to the positions of my hands and elbows. It's not barbaric in any way, and I suspect the reason it's been banned in some countries is due to punters making illegal matches and bets.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

o1s1n wrote: »
    Should probably start playing football with a balloon too while we're at it.

Sunderland are pretty handy with beach balls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,475 ✭✭✭decies

Ban drink that causes more brain problems than anything !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Its rigged from top to bottom and should be thrown out of the Olympics.

I also wish Ireland excelled in a different sport. I don't really celebrate Irelands success in boxing. It's a bit low rent for my liking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

All the activities I personally have no desire to ever take part in should be banned. I can live a happy and fulfilling life spreading gossip among my friends, doing a bit of web browsing / trolling and the odd call to Joe Duffy so why are others not content with that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

No it shouldn't be banned. No one forces any of these boxers into the ring. It is there own choice
    If the referee believes that the health of the boxer is in danger he can stop the fight.
    Also it is a great way to build ones fitness and endurance as well as helping to burn calories and improve a persons health.
    If you don't like boxing then don't watch it. However the sport does have its merits.

Should horse racing be banned because the jockey can be killed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

Its rigged from top to bottom and should be thrown out of the Olympics.

I also wish Ireland excelled in a different sport. I don't really celebrate Irelands success in boxing. It's a bit low rent for my liking.

Ah yes, equestrian sports are where it's at. Gentlemanly, never rigged and far less of the low rent riff-raff factor. One would never see there the sort of scandals which have engulfed and destroyed amateur boxing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

BornToKill wrote: »
    Ah yes, equestrian sports are where it's at. Gentlemanly, never rigged and far less of the low rent riff-raff factor. One would never see there the sort of scandals which have engulfed and destroyed amateur boxing.

Whats wrong with low rent?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

Boxing is a fantastic sport. I was always crap at it but the training and discipline required are phenomenal and it takes a hell of a lot of guts to get in the ring.

The Op's list of countries that have banned boxing appears to be bollocks.
    Cuba, Iran and North Korea all have boxers at the Olympics.

If two lads or ladies consent to get in the ring despite the risk of injury or death then I have nothing but respect for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

BornToKill wrote: »

Im also against Equestrian being in the Olympics. I would congratulate Cian O'Connor's horse for its achievement though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

I would congratulate Cian O'Connor's horse for its achievement though.

Yes indeed, well done to horsey for managing to stay off the gear in 2012. One day at a time horsey, one day at a time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

id love katie taylor to give me a licking in the ring

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Personally, I'd be in favour of a ban

so ban yourself from ever taking part in boxing, and let those who want to take part in it do so

problem solved

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Nope not at all.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

Girls to consider becoming boxers ;is that good for boys and girls and is this money at play for new markets ? What will it mean for the problems of Violence in Society ?
    A new level ? Boys and girls hitting each other in a serious way ? What is Katey doing ?

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Boxing has been banned in Norway, Iceland, Cuba, Iran and North Korea

If you're going to quote Wikipedia, at least quote the full sentence which states that
    Professional boxing is forbidden in Norway, Iceland, Cuba, Iran and North Korea

I'd imagine that in Cuba and North Korea it's more on idealogical grounds rather than for health reasons, but I am open to correction.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Cogito

Zaph wrote: »
    If you're going to quote Wikipedia, at least quote the full sentence which states that

I'd imagine that in Cuba and North Korea it's more on idealogical grounds rather than for health reasons, but I am open to correction.

No your spot on.

And Cuba is to boxing what Brazil is soccer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

Of course it should be banned. It all should be banned.

BAN IT ALL - BAN THE WHOLE FUCKING LOT OF IT!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭stevek93

What???? NO!! OP whats wrong with you! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭YraggarY

Banned?! Absolutely not! Why do people call for bans all the time?! Why can't an adult make his/her own decision on something without a government's 'yay or nay'??
    The extent of government influence on our daily lives is already enough without calling for more things to be banned simply because you find it distasteful.

I'll admit that I have absolutely no interest in boxing as a sport, but if two consenting adults want to get into a ring and beat each other until one comes out the victor, who are other people to say they shouldn't be allowed to do it? They both know the risks going into it, and they both know they'll have to deal with the consequences should their opponent inflict serious damage.
    Why is it okay for one person to say what others can and cannot do?
    It reminds me of a quote I read once, from Jean-Jacques Rousseau: "Man is born free, and everywhere he is in chains." Allow people to make their own decisions to partake in something or not.
    Boxing is a sport; perhaps more violent than some other sports, but a sport nonetheless. Why ban something that isn't harming anybody except the consenting individuals?

Enough with regulation already; at this rate we'll end up banning people from walking too quickly on the streets because of the potential danger that they might bump into someone causing them to fall and possibly injure themselves. So many "maybe's"!
    A slightly fantastic scenario, perhaps, but it illustrates the point I'm trying to make - people need to perform a calculation of potential risk, and adjust their own behaviour accordingly. That's for each and every individual to do - not for a government to impose and legislate for.

Boxing, as with anything and everything, is the business of the people engaged in it, and nobody else's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

typical Ireland...

the one sport we can actually win medals in and some of us want to stop it :O

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Like every single contact sport there is, the athletes know the physical and mental dangers that come with it hence why they train accrodingly to their respective trait.

Nobody puts a gun to their heads to join a sport, put years of work and dedication in (Because, oddly, it's not like it would be something that person would like to participate or excel in themselves) and nobody is forced to watch them.
    paddyandy wrote:
    Girls to consider becoming boxers ;is that good for boys and girls and is this money at play for new markets ? What will it mean for the problems of Violence in Society ?
    A new level ? Boys and girls hitting each other in a serious way ? What is Katey doing ?

She's excelling in her profession and representing her country in a great light on a worldwide stage. What else should she be doing, live her life like every other Joe Soap because people don't like what she does?

Or we could just ban everything and live our lives out like plain neutral beings, devoid of any variation and ensure each of us cannot not be offended by absolutely anything.

• Advertisement
Advertisement