Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should boxing be banned?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Scruffles

in own view,if people have the mental capacity to understand and choose a sport to take part in [whether hobby or competing] then it doesnt need a ban,it is their life to use or abuse providing they can take responsibility for themselves and not sue when they have an accident.

as a RDA horse rider [dressage and jumping-only ever riding bareback and stirrupless],have never in entire life fell off a horse due to anything other than seizures.
    however,am choosing to be a horse rider and if fell off and got injured woud not blame anyone or go on a sueing rampage.

people need to take more responsibility for themselves in actions that they clearly chose to do and woudnt be injured if it wasnt for them choosing to take the risk,simple as.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

Whats the difference between getting punched in the head, getting a hurl hit across the head, kicked in the head or clash of heads football/gaa, stamped on in rugby.

Loada Bollox from the OP.

Boxing, Amateur Boxing, is one of the best sports in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭WumBuster

Boxing is a contact sport. The enjoyment people get out of two people in a ring trying to bate the heads of each other is something probably similiar to the enjoyment and excitement one gets out of watching an action movie with violence. its an addictive buzz. i like boxing, wrestling and such sports and seeing that battle of wills and people pushing themselves to the limits of their physical capabilities. it fascinating.
    Of course boxing is dangerous but so are a lot of other sports.

I dont think amateur boxing is banned in the countries you mentioned, just the professional game, which is a bloodsport, but i dont agree it should be banned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

I teach in an all boys school where most of the kids from age 4 upwards just batter each other all the time. Like little lion cubs biting and wrestling. It's natural.

We joined Michael Carruth's initiative for learning boxing as an after school club. It's fantastic for the boys in terms of self confidence, will power, empowerment, determination, mental strength, calculation, reflexes, and of course developing all sorts of athletic skills. The sense of achievment and pride when they took part in their first spars, in a real ring, and got their certs was really great. Some of these kids had never succeeded at anything.

That said, I've never seen any of them use their boxing skills in the yard or on each other. Our top 3 fighters don't even get involved in play scraps.

And, um.. I'm a female boxer. Love the sport; love to watch, love to train, love to spar. Speed and dodging, trying NOT to get hit. It's addictive and I remain uninjured (touch wood) apart from the odd bruise & sprain. If I have a son or daughter some day I'm going to encourage them to take up boxing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Cogito wrote: »
    No your spot on.

And Cuba is to boxing what Brazil is soccer.

Mexico has produced more world boxing champions than any other nation (both pro and amateur). Howver, they've only ever produced 2 olympic boxing champions.

By stark contrast, Cuba have produced over 30 olympic champions and lie second in the overall medals list behind the us in boxing terms. The emphasis is placed on the amateur game as outlined above

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

By stark contrast, Cuba have produced over 30 olympic champions and lie second in the overall medals list behind the us in boxing terms. The emphasis is placed on the amateur game as outlined above
    Isn't boxing still one of the few amateur sports left in the Olympics though?
    That's why this Amir Khan can't compete I think.

Or, I'm lost, was that your point?:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Banned in Cuba? They are some of the best boxers in the world!

Some of the best things in the world are illegal. which make them the greatest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Amateur boxing is a fine sport.

Pro boxing is up there with WWE and is an absolute farce. Imo

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Dubs

Would you prefer if they did it on the streets, unregulated, without protective equipment? I've been kickboxing since 7, my training includes some boxing. In my experience it's safer than hurling, rugby, cycling and maybe football and soccer. The point is not, as you believe, to punch seven shades of sh/te out of each other, but to score more points (shots to the head) than the other boxer. Wild throwing of punches is not encouraged, the best boxers, such as Muhammed Ali and Katie Taylor, are the ones who can take their shots, score cleanly, and pull out. Furthermore, the guard is utmost in training. I've spent many an hour with the trainer hovering over me making slight changes to the positions of my hands and elbows. It's not barbaric in any way, and I suspect the reason it's been banned in some countries is due to punters making illegal matches and bets.

Think this is part of the problem with it. Points are scored through body shots as well, which has become quite neglected in the sport. People tend to assume that the gloves are there to help soften blows to the body and head, when their actual purpose is to protect the hands.

Apparently bare-knuckle boxing produces less traumatic injuries, particularly to the head, as it's a lot more body-shot orientated because boxers don't want to break their knuckles on someone's skull. In modern boxing it's almost become more about inflicting as much damage as possible (through head shots) and less about points.

Amateur boxing is a different kettle of fish though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

paddyandy wrote: »
    Girls to consider becoming boxers ;is that good for boys and girls and is this money at play for new markets ? What will it mean for the problems of Violence in Society ?
    A new level ? Boys and girls hitting each other in a serious way ? What is Katey doing ?

Imagine, they'll be letting women drive next. and vote!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Where To wrote: »
    Amateur boxing is a fine sport.

Pro boxing is up there with WWE and is an absolute farce. Imo

Is Pro boxing still rife with corruption? I was watching a doc the other night about the pro game and connections to organised crime in America. Seemed like for years it was impossible to have a legit main event in MSG without the NY mob fixing the outcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Is Pro boxing still rife with corruption?

Amateur boxing has it's fair share of corruption too. From as far back as Roy Jones Jr being robbed in Seoul, to the current Olympics where a number of British boxers have been given wins they didn't deserve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

It doesn't appeal to me but if people want to hit each other it's their choice. No one is being forced to partake in it.

My idea of barbaric would be any sport where animals are forced into competing with each other, including horse racing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Stompbox wrote: »
    Boxing has been banned in .... Cuba .... and North Korea
    Hurray! This means that Michael Conlon and Paddy Barnes are guaranteed at least a silver as they were both due to meet boxers from Cuba in their semi-finals.

Luckily North Korea has also banned boxing as their two entries at London 2012 did not advance past the first round.

Stupid commies, entering athletes in a sport they have actually banned (or maybe not).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Yes. It should absolutely be banned. But only because sport is really, really boring.

Sport is really boring? drop down a glaciated valley 3700 Meters above sea level and 5 or6 crow parks in length on a snowboard

Go white water kayaking down the upper liffy ( in Wicklow) go big wave riding of the west coast of Ireland.... Go sailing around fastnet....

Sports not boring just the sports youve had access to...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

You DO know that most of the sports in the Olympics have some sort of military origin, don't ya OP??

Boxing, self explanatory..

hammer throw... throw something as far as you can to crush some other guys head
    Javelin... throw a sharp pointy object as far as you can. Sounds remarkably like a spear.
    Discus..... Throw something that would hurt, lots....
    Pole Vault...Getting up over obstacles... like walls and stuff
    long jump... being... like able to jump over obstacles, like moats and stuff...
    Running... getting from A to B as fast as possible cos you are either running TOWARDS a guy, or running away from him...
    Equestrian.... Horses running around the place, as fast as possible, getting over obstacles... kinda like a cavalry charge.

Then there's the ones like fencing, shooting, archery...... nothing to see here then...

I'd say you could provide, at the very least a tenuous link, between every sport and some form of martial activity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Logical_Bear

Nodin wrote: »
    You can hit people in the head on here? Jesus....thats going to make life easier....
    Do you not remember facekicker and facesitter?

EDIT:Actualy facesitter was on another website,my bad :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Professional boing is banned in Cuba and North Korea because personal mass profit making is against Communist ideals. The Cubans have had several decent runs in Olympic boxing.

Anyway, fcuking stupid idea. Boxing is none of the best sports around.

UFC on the other hand is scobie muck. It should be banned for disguising playground fighting as a sport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

Professional boing is banned in Cuba and North Korea

And so it should be. Booing is unsporting and really has no place outside Panto. There was a lot of it going on at the Dublin-Laois match during the free-taking. Not sure if it was professional though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Sala

I don't like boxing, it's a pity it developed as a sport, but I don't think it should be banned as there is no way it could work at this stage. I would be curious though, is there an age children are allowed start at and as a parent would you be negligent if your child sustains boxing related injuries?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

Professional boing is banned in Cuba and North Korea because personal mass profit making is against Communist ideals.
    Those spring manufacturers should all be shot. ¡Viva la Revolución!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

Stompbox wrote: »
    I'll start out by giving my congratulations to Katie Taylor and Paddy Barnes, I guess.

I dunno, I'm reluctant to relish victory in a 'sport' that rewards those that punch another repeatedly in the head more times than they get punched themselves. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the level of skill, athleticism and physicality necessary to excel but it's a bit barbaric. I suppose the Olympic variant is tamer but I still wince when I see someone staggering on their feet after receiving an almighty flurry of jabs. 'Protective' headgear does not prevent brain damage (Amateur boxers suffer brain damage too.) and you only need to take one look at the greatest slugger of all-time to see the devastating consequences of prolonged brain trauma.

Personally, I'd be in favour of a ban. Boxing has been banned in Norway, Iceland, Cuba, Iran and North Korea and the British, Canadian and Australian Medical Associations have all called for its prohibition.

But what do I know? I wanna hear what you guys think (though I realise tha I'm more than likely about to receive a barrage of piss-blastings and deliciously witty and derisive quips instead. Good ole AH.)

PS. And yes, I have already considered that a ban on the sport would completely neuter our Olympic prospects but it's a small to pay really, isn't it? Why don't we adopt a more placid sport like Badminton? Last time I checked, the feathers are yet to give anyone Parkinson's (I could be open to correction there, though.)

I don't think you understand the sport at all by posting this. It's not a matter of just getting in the ring and battering somebody - if it was, everyone would be at it.

Also, only professional boxing was banned in Cuba and that was brought about as part of of the politics - they still have a brilliant name for bringing up the best amateur boxers and have been in the olympics with their boxing and won medals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

UFC on the other hand is scobie muck. It should be banned for disguising playground fighting as a sport.

:rolleyes:

If you want to ban boxing for simply health/risk reasons then there is many things which are more justified to be banned like cigarettes etc...

If you find it babaric well that's just your personal preference.

If two people are game to get in a ring and fight, then they should be let do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Choochtown

Unlike other popular sports, when you participate in boxing:

1. You know who will hit you

2. You know what they will hit you with

3. You know whereabouts on your body they will hit you

4. If they hit you too much or too hard there's someone nearby who will make
    sure you don't get hurt.

Not the case with GAA, Hurling, Soccer, Rugby, Hockey, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

Boxing is outrageously boring.. I'll still cheer on Katie Taylor and the like but it's as boring to watch as cricket or soccer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Sykk wrote: »
    Boxing is outrageously boring.. I'll still cheer on Katie Taylor and the like but it's as boring to watch as cricket or soccer

Any sport is boring if you know nothing about it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

i bet you love golf. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

Is that you Dr. Raymond Cocteau?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

"Amateur" boxing my hole. The whole of the Irish boxing team are pro athletes from their sports grants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

"Amateur" boxing my hole. The whole of the Irish boxing team are pro athletes from their sports grants.

Sports council grants will not allow anyone to live off them as an athlete.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

Have to say boxing is one of my favourite sports to watch. They all know what they are getting themselves into, leave them at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Sala wrote: »
    I don't like boxing, it's a pity it developed as a sport, but I don't think it should be banned as there is no way it could work at this stage. I would be curious though, is there an age children are allowed start at and as a parent would you be negligent if your child sustains boxing related injuries?

Eh, no. The kids will play whatever sport they want to. There is always risk of injury in any sport. Maybe you'd prefer your kids to be inactive?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Sports council grants will not allow anyone to live off them as an athlete.

Kenny Egan got a nice deal to stay 'amateur' after Beijing didn't he?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

He gets 40k a year funding. Anyone who thinks that's enough to pay for coaching, travel, physio, equipment, training camps and so on as well as taking the sort of work which will let you train (at a minimum) some four to five hours a day, six days a week, pay rent or mortgage and so forth is wildly deluding themselves. Sport is incredibly expensive. Athletes don't win out of it, financially. In my sport, 40k would just about cover my ongoing equipment and travel costs in a given year if I were making a serious go of the international circuit. I'd still be required to take a hit in terms of the cost of working in a job where I'm away for ten to twelve weeks of the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

What an idiotic idea. Which makes no distinction between amateur and pro boxing, one of which is very safe, and the other, albeit a little more dangerous, is very well regulated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

--Kaiser-- wrote: »

I would have to agree but I don't find any sport that Ireland are competing in boring! Look at what Annalise Murphy did last week with the sailing. I haven't a notion what they're meant to and no idea about any of the rules, yet I still found myself incredibly excited while watching her.

He really didn't, get your facts right

Ush1 wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

If you want to ban boxing for simply health/risk reasons then there is many things which are more justified to be banned like cigarettes etc...

If you find it babaric well that's just your personal preference.

If two people are game to get in a ring and fight, then they should be let do it.

I dont necessarily find it barbaric, I find it to be childish and lacking the rules that make boxing a proper sport. Men wresting in their pants on the ground throwing the same type of punches you see outside a takeway on a Saturday night does not merit being a legitimate contact sport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I dont necessarily find it barbaric, I find it to be childish and lacking the rules that make boxing a proper sport. Men wresting in their pants on the ground throwing the same type of punches you see outside a takeway on a Saturday night does not merit being a legitimate contact sport.

.....so outlawing various techniques makes something a "legitimate" contact sport....? Fascinating. Wrestling isn't a "legitimate contact sport"?

• Advertisement

--Kaiser-- wrote: »

I used to box for a decent club, actually. The sport is boring to watch and it's become worse and worse over the years.

I used to box for a decent club, actually. The sport is boring to watch and it's become worse and worse over the years.

I really can't stand people stating opinion as fact

I found the boxing at the Olympics very entertaining

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Just the roll eyes was aimed at yourself, other stuff was the op.

So by adding more rules it becomes legitimised? In MMA, you can wear shorts if you like, just like a boxer does!

I don't know which type of fights you see outside a takeaway, but a pro MMA fighters punches look alot different to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

The Paddy Barnes fight last night was awesome

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

I dont necessarily find it barbaric, I find it to be childish and lacking the rules that make boxing a proper sport.

What are you on about? What rules does MMA lack? I'd say you haven't the faintest idea about MMA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭HoggyRS

Would you not ban one of the sports we're ****e at instead?

• Advertisement

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    I really can't stand people stating opinion as fact

I found the boxing at the Olympics very entertaining

I meant this as my opinion, of course. I just didn't type IMO :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

Just heard a great point by Clare Balding, for the people who object to women's boxing, its about equality, if you object to 2 people hitting each other it doesn't matter if its men or women.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Jonah42

UFC is an organisation, not a sport. I think that you not even knowing the name of the sport (Mixed Martial Arts) shows how much you really know about it.

Boxers and MMA fighters are some of the most humble, dedicated and friendliest people I've ever met.

All this talk about banning these sports... It never fails to amaze me about how people can complain or call for something to go when it actually has no effect on their lives whatsoever.

Jonah42 wrote: »
    UFC is an organisation, not a sport. I think that you not even knowing the name of the sport (Mixed Martial Arts) shows how much you really know about it.

I could care less. It is atrocious stuff. Boxing has a certain art about it, a beautiful game if you will. Watching two lads in a cage on the ground belting lumps out of each other is, as said, 3am in Abrakebabra entertainment, not sport.

Boxers and MMA fighters are some of the most humble, dedicated and friendliest people I've ever met.

Never said they were not. Dana White from the UFC seems to be a genuinely good guy, does quite a bit of charty work, much of it out of his own pocket.

It doesnt mean the brand he promotes isnt a big heap of skangertastic muck. The fact that so many of its fans like to somehow think it is superior to boxing and will eventually force professional boxing out of popular culture makes it even more cringeworthy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

There's more injuries/deaths in other sports that aren't as physical.

• Advertisement
Advertisement