Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should boxing be banned?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Here I am wasting my money watching Jon Jones super athlete, fight on ESPN in Las Vegas!

Turns out there is equal quality MMA at 3am live in Abrakebabra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

It's a good sport but there needs to be proper medical and physio support for the contenders because it can potentially have detrimental long term affects for people.

In that thread about the Garda gettin a big claim there was a guy, who's sig was an ad for a boxing club, laughing at the thought of one punch doing damage to someone. I found this a strange position for someone representing a boxing club to take. It said to me that that club did not take the health and welfare of it's members seriously or that it didn't instill to them how serious a single punch to the head can be outside of the safety of the training ring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I could care less. It is atrocious stuff. Boxing has a certain art about it, a beautiful game if you will. Watching two lads in a cage on the ground belting lumps out of each other is, as said, 3am in Abrakebabra entertainment, not sport.

That's cos you don't know what you're looking at. Boxing is straight-forward stuff where you're only allowed to punch the head or body, pretty easy to follow and you don't need to have a clue to understand what's going on. You've probably also grown up with boxing on the TV, so have become used to that. I doubt you've given MMA more than a 30 second glance to confirm your preconceptions of what it entails. You just saw "2 lads on the ground belting lumps out of each other" and switched off. Someone who watches or participates in MMA will see the competitor on the ground angling for a submission hold, using their legs to control the person on top, trying various escape methods that they've practiced in training, etc.

It's just plain ignorance that drives the Joe Duffy-style opposition to MMA. These people are competitors that have trained for years in a wide range of different martial arts, they're in no way comparable to 3am in Abrakebabra just because superficially to an ignorant person they look the same -- "lookit, they're both on the floor hitting each other, same as UFC, hyuck hyuck!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

i love combat sports (i do mma) why ban them plenty gaa players get concussions soccer players break their legs
    if you do sport you'll probably get hurt some way
    if you want to ban everything that's dangerous you have to ban driving, alcohol,swimming(you could drown),all bladed objects ohh and jumping

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Dave! wrote: »
    Someone who watches or participates in MMA will see the competitor on the ground angling for a submission hold, using their legs to control the person on top, trying various escape methods that they've practiced in training, etc.

It's just plain ignorance that drives the Joe Duffy-style opposition to MMA. These people are competitors that have trained for years in a wide range of different martial arts, they're in no way comparable to 3am in Abrakebabra just because superficially to an ignorant person they look the same -- "lookit, they're both on the floor hitting each other, same as UFC, hyuck hyuck!"

I know all this.

I still think it is sh1te. Mindless redneck entertainment of the lowest form. I dont doubt they are tough bastards and put in alot of hard training, I still cannot respect it as being a serious sport.

I was joking BTW, I dont actually want/ need to see it banned, but I do think it is utter sh1te, and no amount of people trying to convince me it is a legitimate, worthy sport will convnce me otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I know all this.

I still think it is sh1te. Mindless redneck entertainment of the lowest form. I dont doubt they are tough bastards and put in alot of hard training, I still cannot respect it as being a serious sport.

I was joking BTW, I dont actually want/ need to see it banned, but I do think it is utter sh1te, and no amount of people trying to convince me it is a legitimate, worthy sport will convnce me otherwise.
    Fair enough I guess... I can't take seriously someone who thinks that boxing is a "beautiful sport" and in the same breath calls MMA "mindless redneck entertainment of the lowest form", so no need to go any further with this...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

I know all this.

If you 'know all this' then the paragraph you typed afterwards does not follow. MMA is a far more nuanced, complicated and skillful sport than boxing. The fighters have to be able to box, kickbox, grapple and groundfight. Just cos you know fvck all about it mean it's not a serious sport

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

I know all this.

I think you have a superiority complex

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 67 ✭✭jan shyr

I'll start out by giving my congratulations to Katie Taylor and Paddy Barnes, I guess.

I dunno, I'm reluctant to relish victory in a 'sport' that rewards those that punch another repeatedly in the head more times than they get punched themselves. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the level of skill, athleticism and physicality necessary to excel but it's a bit barbaric. I suppose the Olympic variant is tamer but I still wince when I see someone staggering on their feet after receiving an almighty flurry of jabs. 'Protective' headgear does not prevent brain damage (Amateur boxers suffer brain damage too.) and you only need to take one look at the greatest slugger of all-time to see the devastating consequences of prolonged brain trauma.

Personally, I'd be in favour of a ban. Boxing has been banned in Norway, Iceland, Cuba, Iran and North Korea and the British, Canadian and Australian Medical Associations have all called for its prohibition.

But what do I know? I wanna hear what you guys think (though I realise tha I'm more than likely about to receive a barrage of piss-blastings and deliciously witty and derisive quips instead. Good ole AH.)

PS. And yes, I have already considered that a ban on the sport would completely neuter our Olympic prospects but it's a small to pay really, isn't it? Why don't we adopt a more placid sport like Badminton? Last time I checked, the feathers are yet to give anyone Parkinson's (I could be open to correction there, though.)

Not everyone is as a soft person as you are. And you feelings are irrelevant when it comes to OTHER people practising activities such as boxing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Jonah42

If you don't like it then don't watch it, simple as. No need to go ruining it for everyone else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭HemlockOption

It doesn't appeal to me but if people want to hit each other it's their choice. No one is being forced to partake in it.

My idea of barbaric would be any sport where animals are forced into competing with each other, including horse racing.

Agree 100%. Greyhounds shot when they don't win races, or ears cut off so that they can't be identified.

Also, don't forget the Irish equestrian scandals of recent times (and probably still?) where the horses were forced to train even though injured. Shameful stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Ah_Yeah

Also, don't forget the Irish equestrian scandals of recent times (and probably still?) where the horses were forced to train even though injured. Shameful stuff.

Can you verify the above?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

come on katie. i cant wait to see her box

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

come on katie. i cant wait to see her box

She'll leave the other girl out of breath from all that hard fisting action from her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

She generally comes hard after feeling yer wan out for a few minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I could care less. It is atrocious stuff. Boxing has a certain art about it, a (..........)cringeworthy.

Other than slagging it off, you haven't presented a single thought out thing against it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Consenting adults.

</thread>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I know all this.

Its a far, far more complex sport than boxing. You can say otherwise but you'll still be wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭smcelhinney

Can we close this thread now?

• Advertisement
Advertisement