Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pump House Consumer Unit?

Options
  • 08-08-2012 11:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hi,

I'm building a pump house for the new well thats just been bored. I want to have a light and a double-socket in the pump house as well.

My pump (a .37KW submersible) is 59m away and has a dedicated circuit for it that runs 2.5mm cable in 4" ducting from the main board in the house on a 20A MCB. The 4" ducting gives me plenty of flexibility to cater for future cable runs for a garage, etc as time goes by...

So to do this I am thinking of doing a mains consumer unit - pump house consumer unit cable-run much in the same way a garage/shed would be done.

Is putting a mini consumer unit in the pump house the best and safest way for this or is there an alternative way to do it using the existing cable that will be just as safe?
    What size cable would be needed for a 59m run to a pump house consumer unit?
    Whenever a garage is built, is having 2 separate consumer units connected to the mains consumer unit ok?
    In terms of convenience and isolation is it ok to include a 20A MCB in the pump house as well for inspection/maintenance purposes?
    Having read some other threads here...the cable is not SWA, its 2.5mm 3 core thats used for sockets. Does this matter seeing as its in 4" ducting 2ft underground?

I assume i'd need to put the pump house consumer unit on a MCB or RCBO on the main fuse board in the house?

Macphisto

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭liveandnetural

one more question for you what depth is the well

• Registered Users Posts: 37 macphisto

The well is about 120 ft deep with the submersible at 110ft.

Macphisto

Advertisement