Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living in Baldoyle...feedback?

Options
  • 09-08-2012 12:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭

Looking for opinions please on living in Baldoyle, Admiral Park in particular.

Main concerns are:

1. How near is the Bayside DART station to walk to? Google Maps has it being a 3km drive, going via the Main St to the coast road for a bit, and then up to the station via Sutton Park. It looks very circuitous to drive. Is there a quicker way to walk?

2. Safety. How safe is the area in general for 2 females, one of which will be walking home from the DART station in the evenings? I know that no where in Dublin is free from anti social behaviour, but are there certain areas nearby that could be troublesome?

3. Nearest supermarket, decent pubs, restaurants, coffee shop etc etc?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

I know the area but never lived there so I'll just say that Bayside Dart Station would be quite far from you whereas Sutton Dart Station is only at the end of the coast road in Baldoyle. Maybe a 20 min walk not a long drive but have a car park at the station anyway. Check it out on a map.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭WhimSock

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Looking for options please on living in Baldoyle, Admiral Park in particular.

Main concerns are:

1. How near is the Bayside DART station to walk to? Google Maps has it being a 3km drive, going via the Main St to the coast road for a bit, and then up to the station via Sutton Park. It looks very circuitous to drive. Is there a quicker way to walk?

As snickerpuss said, Sutton would probably be closer and straight up the road along the coast, a nice walk.
    2. Safety. How safe is the area in general for 2 females, one of which will be walking home from the DART station in the evenings? I know that no where in Dublin is free from anti social behaviour, but are there certain areas nearby that could be troublesome?

It's quite safe around that area.

Thanks.

There is a Lidl 3 minutes walk from Admiral Park, Graingers and the Elphin are ok pubs. Not many cafes or restaurants but you are a Dart station away from Howth which has plenty.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Main concerns are:

Did you know that there is a path to Howth Junction Station, through the FAS centre in the Baldoyle Industrial estate ? I sued it for two years every morning and evening. Can be a bit desolate but at peak times there are usually lots of people taking the path.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

I'm doing some work a stone's throw away or two from there at the moment.

Main concerns are:

Bayside is easily the closest station, about 12-15 minutes/800 metres walk through Seagrange Park. If you are driving to the station, parking will likely be your main concern. Sutton charges for parking and parking on Seacliff Avenue can be hard to get. Seacliff Ave is ~1.2 km away. Ignore the Google directions as it takes you to the far side of the station. I wouldn't be surprised if some drive to Howth for parking (and best seat choice in the morning).
    Generally very safe, little worry, perhaps the very rare minor hassle from brats hanging around to station. Walk from Sutton station is ultra-safe. There's a small risk of burglary but much lower than most areas. I certainly wouldn't let yourself be put off on that matter bar taking the usual precautions. I'll check with a relation who lives there at a later time on that matter.

Thanks.
    Racecourse shopping centre is a few minutes walk, see Whimsock's post. It also has the Racecourse Inn. Superquinn, banks and a few other shops are also at Sutton Cross. There's a Londis shop for basics with a sub Post office, pretty much at the entrance to Admiral park too.

To be honest, it sounds almost perfect for you imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Bayside Dart station is probably slightly closer to you but not much difference to Sutton both around 15 mins. Sutton would probably be a relatively 'safer' walk late at night but not much to worry about really.

Balydoyle is definitely quite safe these days and your in quite a nice estate I think.

As said, Lidl is very close and then you have Donaghmede shopping centre about 5 minute drive away which has everything you'd need. Tesco Clare Hall about 10 min drive also. For decent pubs i'd say the Elphin is your best local but head up to Howth if you want a bit more atmosphere, choice and craic but don't fancy trekking to the city. Restaurants definitely dart up to Howth or drive to Malahide.

Good luck with it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Main concerns are:

Thanks.
    It's not a bad spot at all. Bayside Dart station would probably be the nearest dart, but Sutton isn't too much farther away and may be the easiest to get to (as it's just straight down the road). Also, in rush hour you're more likely to get a seat in Sutton, and Bayside Station and underpass have flooded in heavy rain before.

Here on Google Maps, it's worth pointing out that the train line is only passable at Bayside Station (a pedestrian underpass), and at level crossings on the Baldoyle Rd and Station Rd. Google gave you the roundabout way because there's no vehicle access to Bayside station from the Baldoyle side. If you were walking there, then cutting straight across Seagrange Park is the fastest way, though it's prone to flooding at times.

I honestly don't know Admiral Park too well, but I've always found Baldoyle to be quite safe. As said above, you might get the odd burglary and stuff like that, but nothing that basic precautions will keep you safe from. It's not like there's gangs roaming the streets.

Again as said above, you've got a Lidl near enough to you which also has a collection of other shops beside it(but I don't know what type they are) which, if you don't have a car will probably be where you do most of your shopping.

If you look at the map I linked and follow the Grange Rd West and you come to a roundabout. Continue West and you'll hit the Malahide Road. At that junction you'll find a Tesco and Hilton Hotel on opposite corners. Just near the Hilton, there's a supermarket that was called Fresh, but is either a Centra or Eurospar now (can't remember). If you go south from the above mentioned roundabout, you get to Donaghmede shopping centre. But I don't think there's any public transport down the Grange Road, so the above places are a bit far for walking.

If you head past Sutton Train Station, you reach Sutton Cross. There's a Superquinn here.

For pubs, your local would be Graingers on Baldoyle main street. The Racecourse is next nearest, followed by the Elphin, The Bayside Inn and then probably the Marine Hotel in Sutton Cross (there might be others, but I can't think of them at the moment.

You've also got easy access to Howth, which has plenty of places to eat and drink (and buy overpriced tat in their markets on Saturdays and Sundays). You can also head off to Portmarnock or Malahide for a night out just as easily as heading into town.

There's plenty of restaurants in Howth and Malahide (not sure about Portmarnock) and I don't think there's any in the Baldoyle area (none that I know of, anyway). There's plenty of Italian, Chinese, Indian takeaways and chippers about the place.

I don't really know of many coffee shops. I think there's one beside Superquinn in Sutton Cross and Tesco.

The 32a and 32b buses both go to town and malahide or Portmarnock receptively. And I think it's the 29N Nitelink that gets you home from town late on Friday and Saturday nights (a taxi is about €20, I think). There's a cab company that operates from Baldoyle mainstreet too.

There's also a cinema in Coolock, and the Pavilion in Swords isn't too far if you've got a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. Have been to see 3 houses in Baldoyle so far. None of them suited our needs, but the area itself is FABULOUS, so am definitely going to keep on looking in the area. Loved how close you are to the sea !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Hi ProudDub,

Sorry to resurrect this thread but wanted to know - did you buy in Baldoyle in the end?

If so, what's it like?

Cheers,
    Quad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Did you buy in end OP.

If you bought when you posted I'm sure you got a great deal.

Mods please don't lock this.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Wow. I have no memory of this thread at all.

Didn't move to Baldoyle after all. Wound up in Sutton, a couple of miles away. Love the area, no complaints at all. Would shop fairly often in the Lidl in Baldoyle and frequent the coffee shop beside the Racecourse pub (forget the name) fairly often too. Would rarely be on foot around the area, but have no complaints at all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement