Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killing and mistreatment of fish

• 09-08-2012 12:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 34

I know it's often talked about the foreign nationals killing fish but I was out on the canal today and there were a group of local lads there fishing just across from me and I watched them catching some roach, bream and hybrids. Some were killed by hitting them off of rocks and left on the bank, I guess to use for deadbait. Others were tossed into a tesco carrier bag which was dangling into the water. When I walked over I looked in the bag and there were a good 10 fish in there, flapping about in about 6 inches of water. 2 or 3 were upside down nearly dead. One lad was picking live fish out of the bag and chucking them at the others.

It makes me feel bad about being an angler when I see things like this, and sadly this wasn't the first time. If you didn't bring a keepnet, any fish you catch should be put straight back. A carrier bag with a few holes in it isn't a suitable substitute. I'd be surprised if even half of them survived to be released.

Isn't there anything in the bye-laws about how fish should be kept?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Section 5 of Bye law 806 2006 states:

5. Any coarse fish taken inadvertently in contravention of this Bye law must be handled carefully and returned without avoidable injury to the waters from which they have been taken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Not being bad mate but comin on this moaning about it won't get you far
    I know you were out numbered but a phone call to fisheries board or even the gards would've helped

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭danbrosnan

Not being bad mate but comin on this moaning about it won't get you far
    I know you were out numbered but a phone call to fisheries board or even the gards would've helped

Very well said hate this stupid kinda moaning, approach the people and tell them straight to there faces instead of com in on ere, bit chin about it....

• Registered Users Posts: 24 pollagh prince

have a look down this article.... http://www.innyangling.net/April12.htm

this guy is a foreigner too, keeps trout in keep nets..what do you think of this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

this guy is a foreigner too, keeps trout in keep nets..what do you think of this?

this is the 3rd time ive seen you post this guy's pics in the last few months. maybe you could email him about it instead of asking us what we think of it. The fish were returned alive. Maybe he doesnt realise that trout are not meant to be kept in a keep net? Whats the point in complaining behind his back? I know if I was him, I would prefer to be told what im doing wrong than have people complain about be behind my back on a forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭jkchambers

I suppose a visiting British coarse angler could be called a foreigner. I would be more enclined to call him a very welcome guest. I believe all fish including the trout were returned.
    I am not a trout angler but would be interested to know what bye law he would have broken

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

Bearing in mind the number of times that you have posted that link looking for a reaction, do you work for the sindo or have some kind of personal axe to grind with this chap?

this is a bad way to treat trout..they are not as resilient as coarse fish i would say..i have mentioned it before alright.god some people must scan this website. I log on about once a week..do you do any angling or work if you have this much time to scan every post?!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Barry0

this is a bad way to treat trout..they are not as resilient as coarse fish i would say.

You're right, they're not as resilient. They need good water flow, oxygen and staple temperatures. I got a 2lb brownie last week on the Liffey whilst fishing for roach and he went straight back into the water after unhooking. The thought of putting him into my keep-net along with a few dozen roach never entered my mind. Trout have a habit of dying fairly quickly in cramped, poorly oxygenated environments like keep-nets. Perhaps the angler in question just wasn't aware of this, I'm sure he didn't want to harm the fish deliberately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

I just remember seeing the link and same wording multiple times on this board and also on different fishing forums.

"What do you think of this?" and a reference to the persons nationality with no opinion offered smacks of a lazy sindoesque attempt to provoke a reaction and create a story or just stir the pot on a personal level.

Coupled with a copy and paste repost in multiple locations I think it is quite valid to question the freshness of the astroturf/ground bait!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭jkchambers

A few months ago Pollagh Prince posted that he was told by a fisheries protection officer that he couldnt respond to an incident as his car was taken for other use. I know that this posting resulted in an IFI internal inquiry. I believe that cars were certainly not taken from from protection staff. That said, I have not seen the IFI report and cannot say that Pollagh Prince was not accurately reporting a conversation
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056663826

gentlemen, i am not on here to moan and groan or hang anyone out to dry... i think i will keep my thoughts and opinions to myself from now on,at least for the angling section anyhow! bye! :):):):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Macspower

Inland Fisheries Ireland have a freefone number to enable members of the general public to report poaching and pollution incidences -
    1890 34 74 24 or for easier recall 1890 FISH 24.

EVERY ANGLER should have this number in their phone.. report report report.... even if you don't get a response ... report it anyway...
    In recent figures the IFI claimed a great reduction in poaching... these figures were based on a reduction in calls to the hotline.. a reduction in poaching means less funding to tackle it... lets not give them the excuses..

phone the hotline if you see something out of place.

Other useful/useless numbers!
    The Eastern Regional Fisheries Board - 01 2787022
    The Southern Regional Fisheries Board - 052 23624 (daytime) - 052 80055 (out of hours)
    The South Western Regional Fisheries Board - 026 41221
    The Shannon Regional Fisheries Board - 061 300238
    The Shannon Regional Fisheries Board - 087 9285892 (Lorraine O'Donnell)

The Western Regional Fisheries Board - 091 563118
    The North Western Regional Fisheries Board - 096 22623
    The Northern Regional Fisheries Board - 071 9851 435 (Co. Donegal) - 049 4337174 (Co. Cavan)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 374 ✭✭fisherking

Great post

Macspower wrote: »
    Inland Fisheries Ireland have a freefone number to enable members of the general public to report poaching and pollution incidences -
    1890 34 74 24 or for easier recall 1890 FISH 24.

EVERY ANGLER should have this number in their phone.. report report report.... even if you don't get a response ... report it anyway...
    In recent figures the IFI claimed a great reduction in poaching... these figures were based on a reduction in calls to the hotline.. a reduction in poaching means less funding to tackle it... lets not give them the excuses..

phone the hotline if you see something out of place.

Other useful/useless numbers!
    The Eastern Regional Fisheries Board - 01 2787022
    The Southern Regional Fisheries Board - 052 23624 (daytime) - 052 80055 (out of hours)
    The South Western Regional Fisheries Board - 026 41221
    The Shannon Regional Fisheries Board - 061 300238
    The Shannon Regional Fisheries Board - 087 9285892 (Lorraine O'Donnell)

The Western Regional Fisheries Board - 091 563118
    The North Western Regional Fisheries Board - 096 22623
    The Northern Regional Fisheries Board - 071 9851 435 (Co. Donegal) - 049 4337174 (Co. Cavan)

Advertisement