Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What age did you have your first drink at and what was it?

• 09-08-2012 1:19am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I had my first pint at 17 and it was a pint of Smithwicks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭LoYL

I was 0 and it was milk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

11. Harp larger. Sick as a dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

14. Homemade apricot wine. Thought it was the worst filth I had ever tasted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

Peetrik wrote: »
    11. Harp larger. Sick as a dog.

Snap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Scrappychimow

14 , a one litre woodpeckers cider in pwelli (butlins) wales.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

14. Can of Scrumpy Jacks. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

14. Cherry pop from the furry cup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

17, pints and pints of lovely Bulmers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

13 - vodka, sneakily at a friend's parents' Halloween party. Was sick the next day (possibly from the junk food) and terrified my Dad would bring me to doctor and alcohol would be detected in a blood test! :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

At the age of ten, I tasted some beer and wine. It was literally just a drop each but I distinctly remember both tasting absolutely horrible.

At 15, I was offered a glass of beer (Stella I think) by some family members. Took a sip and found it just as vile tasting as when I was 10.

Maybe there's something different about my taste buds but I just can't stand the taste of anything with alcohol in it. It either burns like vinegar and tastes nasty or just tastes like water with some rotten vegetation mixed in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

No one was asked for ID in a pub when I started drinking, I suppose it's enforced more these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Onesimus

I was 3 or 4 years old. It was hot ''whiskey''. My mom and dad used to let me try some.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

When I was seventeen
    I drank some very good beer
    I drank some very good beer I purchased with a fake ID
    My name was Brian McGee
    I stayed up listening to Queen
    When I was seventeen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Poitin when I was seven.

Good stuff too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Had a glass of champagne when I was 11. It was horrible. First drink not with family was at 17 and it was a blue WKD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

12 - 2 vodka and cokes at my sister's 21st thanks to her boyfriend, now ex!:p

Edit This was my first 'real' drink not just an odd taste or sip here and there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

I was a very loud and obnoxious child (yes, unbelievable, isn't it:pac:) and apparently used to get brandy as a kid to send me to sleep.

Apart from that, I didn't properly drink until I was 18.

I'm actually quite opposed to underage drinking and always give teenagers a little lecture when they ask me to buy alcohol for them outside Spar.

"Plenty of time for that when you're older", I say "go and pick up a hurley and play for Tipp".

Then they batter me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

14. Lindon Village in a bush. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

Whiskey. About 10 months old I think.

My granny used to add a drop of whiskey into my night cap milk bottle to make sure I didn't wake her up in the middle of the night screaming crying. :)

My first proper session was at 15 though. Shoulder of vodka on the green. KO'd :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

17, long neck of bulmers. Had vodka that same night as well

Been drinking bulmers since :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭stevek93

At the age of 8 or 9 i robbed my dads half bottle of beer. Remember feeling like I was on top of the world after it. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭OMARS_COMING_

66.cider.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

66.cider.
    Have to say it Omar.

You never disappoint.

stevek93 wrote: »
    At the age of 8 or 9 i robbed my dads half bottle of beer. Remember feeling like I was on top of the world after it. :P

Me an my cousin used to do that and steal cans of guinness, take a few sips and throw it away.

We were shameful wasters back then:o

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭ItAintMeBabe

13, school disco, shared a nagan of Paddy whiskey with my best mate that we had robbed from home....didnt drink again until i was 17 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Around 13 or 14. With the parents - was either a can of cider or a bottle of Smirnoff Ice I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Vicar in a tutu

14. nagan of vodka or something out in a field.. didnt work out too well as you can imagine

14. nagan of vodka or something out in a field.. didnt work out too well as you can imagine

First time I actually got drunk as a teenager I didn't know how much you should drink, so I got 2 naggins, and drank both of them in a very short space of time...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

Nine. My American uncle bought me two half pints of Guinness at me nans funeral.

It will stop me experimenting behind the families back, he said.

Help me grow up with a responsible attitude to alcohol, he said.

How did that one work out, unc!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

First time i got drunk;
    15. 4 btls of Bud and 6 btls of Smithwicks

Had small amounts of alcohol before that.

First time I actually got drunk as a teenager I didn't know how much you should drink, so I got 2 naggins, and drank both of them in a very short space of time...

I'd say you were a very sick puppy afterwards:pac: I had no idea you were meant to mix it, I was caught once trying to sneak out with a coke bottle of bacardi.. I honestly thought it would be the equivalent of drinking a can :o

1ZRed wrote: »
    Me an my cousin used to do that and steal cans of guinness, take a few sips and throw it away.

We were shameful wasters back then:o

If that have of been me I would have drank the whole thing and then puked my ring up. :P

I'd say you were a very sick puppy afterwards:pac: I had no idea you were meant to mix it, I was caught once trying to sneak out with a coke bottle of bacardi.. I honestly thought it would be the equivalent of drinking a can :o

Worst part is it was in temple bar too. On a patricks day weekend no less. Yea I didn't understand the whole mixing thing (I also saw the massive bottles and thought "well if someone's going to drink THAT much") so just poured them both into a lilt bottle and ploughed into it. There were pretty girls in the group and I just wanted to be cool :(

Lost everyone & blacked out for hours, no idea what happened. Woke up on a bus travelling vaguely in a homeward direction.

I'm positive some random stranger must have helped me, I was a tremendous dumbass, even sober.

I learned a lot, very quickly, about drinking responsibly that day...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Shot of Paddys whiskey when i was 12. Hadnt expected the burning sensation. Bit of a shock for my first drink.

If that have of been me I would have drank the whole thing and then puked my ring up. :P

Looking back we were awful thick about it but we figured we got the high off stealing drink but didn't have a clue what to do afterwards!

The 'innocence' of youth and all that :p

• Advertisement

1ZRed wrote: »
    Looking back we were awful thick about it but we figured we got the high off stealing drink but didn't have a clue what to do afterwards!

The 'innocence' of youth and all that :p

lol. First time I got drunk was 14, drank 3 cans of Druids was absolutely sh!t faced. :D

Worst part is it was in temple bar too. On a patricks day weekend no less. Yea I didn't understand the whole mixing thing (I also saw the massive bottles and thought "well if someone's going to drink THAT much") so just poured them both into a lilt bottle and ploughed into it. There were pretty girls in the group and I just wanted to be cool :(

Lost everyone & blacked out for hours, no idea what happened. Woke up on a bus travelling vaguely in a homeward direction.

I'm positive some random stranger must have helped me, I was a tremendous dumbass, even sober.

I learned a lot, very quickly, about drinking responsibly that day...

Oh those were the days... then stupidly chewing 3 packets of gum to mask the smell before heading home:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Whatsernamex33

First time... 15, a can of Coors Light.
    Too madt. :/

Oh those were the days... then stupidly chewing 3 packets of gum to mask the smell before heading home:pac:

And lashing down the energy drinks trying to sober up. :P

And lashing down the energy drinks trying to sober up. :P

Haha yes, then heading home with your eyes rolling all over your head!:rolleyes:

Oh the innocence:D

• Advertisement

Haha yes, then heading home with your eyes rolling all over your head!:rolleyes:

Oh the innocence:D

No Ma I wasn't drinking. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,952 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

I was 15 and had 3 cans of Carlsberg down on the beach, classy i know.

Oh god the smell... I can actually remember the smell... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

14 and "Hoopers Hooch" one of the first ever alcopops. Lovely it was.

I was 15 and had 3 cans of Carlsberg down on the beach, classy i know.

As ya do! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭talullah

17. naggin vodka..straight. Was twisted but fine the next day...those were the days. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,952 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

No Ma I wasn't drinking. :D

Before she even asks:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

My parents were fairly liberal with the sips, so I can't really remember when exactly I had my first taste of alcohol. But when I was around 11 or 12 I remember coming back from the pub with the family on christmas eve, I'm the youngest so they were all well on, they let me have a glass of wine and didn't notice that I helped myself to a good half a bottle, if not more, until I started getting loud and laughing at stupid ****.

Before she even asks:D
    Exactly whilst falling in the door. :pac:

Either 15 or 16, naggin of Hennessey :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement