Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What age did you have your first drink at and what was it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Mugatuu

15, naggin of vodka at a friends house party in Tipp. mixed it with fat frog, suprisingly have very little memory of that night! :L

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

16, 4 cans of cider, got through about 2 & 3/4 before I didnt want anymore, had some Fosters that night also but never liked beer and to this day I've never drank a whole pint of beer, lager, ale, just cant stand the stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

would have had the occasional sip of the parents drink on special occassions but would have been about 13 on my first session - stella artois and bacardi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

15, camping with friends. Had a naggin of Vodka and some cheap beer. Good times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

I was allowed sips of beer and wine as a child to try it out.

First time I drank properly I was 14 and it was half a litre of peach schnapps straight in a field. An hour before I was due to go home. I had no concept of drunken-ness, I thought it stopped once you stopped drinking :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭stevek93

I was allowed sips of beer and wine as a child to try it out.

First time I drank properly I was 14 and it was half a litre of peach schnapps straight in a field. An hour before I was due to go home. I had no concept of drunken-ness, I thought it stopped once you stopped drinking :p

So did i lol. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Plumpynutt

I was 14, drank four cans of druids and a couple of joints. I was in a complete hoop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

stevek93 wrote: »
    So did i lol. :D

Glad I wasn't the only one! :o
    Plumpynutt wrote: »
    I was 14, drank four cans of druids and a couple of joints. I was in a complete hoop

You DRANK a couple of joints? Well no wonder you were in bits! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Paddycrumlinman

1979 6 months old, Gripe Water. 90% proof back then!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

That would have me sick as a dog now, never mind 10 ears ago with my unhardened stomach and virgin lungs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 688 ✭✭✭maxfresh

15 ,a can of fosters :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

17 at our 6th year Christmas party in 2001. I was only a few weeks off 18, I regret not keeping my pledge now. It's not that I'm particularly religious but waiting an extra few weeks wouldn't have hurt me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

First time I tried drink other than sips was when I was 12 and staying in my granny's with a friend. Gran went to bed and we found a bottle of brandy, a bottle of whiskey, some rock salt (which I had never seen before) and a big tin of toffees. Mixed a bit of everything into a "concoction". The toffees didn't really melt, but the drink was strangely nice. Climbed onto the garage roof and drank it looking at the stars and chatting. Was actually the best night!

We were both mysteriously ill the next day though. Damn tummy bugs!! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭boomkatalog

When I was 15 my friend poured me a big glass of vodka and 7up. I didn't like 7up anyway so didn't realise it wasn't right. I got hammered and shouted abuse at her granny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

around 14. it was cider

i remember having a few cans of woodpecker cider in a mtes garage playing pool, thinking im all that as you do when you are 15. i ended up shouting soup all over the pool table

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

14, Miller. Went home and said the same thing to my sister about 7 times and then passed out in bed. Other than that it was a good night!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Probably a bottle of Ritz after me inter.

Delicious stuff!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Plumpynutt

Pace2008 wrote: »
    That would have me sick as a dog now, never mind 10 ears ago with my unhardened stomach and virgin lungs.

Drinking and smoking is a glorious combination IMO, although it's easy to get in a right state!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Myself and a pal when we were about 10. had a few slugs of alter wine while we were sticking pins in the old type flags in the church presbetery for the parish flag day, we were falling around the street on the way home, followed by some serious puking later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭babymanval

Bar some shandy watching USA '94 at 11 years old with some older lads, my first time was 14 years old... Anyone remember Woodys? They marked the inception of Alcopops here in 1997 or so. They were so sickly and thick!! I remember gettin sick strawberry dinner chunks out my nose a few weekends in a row once we found some lads to go off licence for us.

A quick google tells me that some places in the UK still sell lemon/lime Woodys! *Shudders*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

A mouthful of harp and a shot of whiskey around 10.
    Proper drink 16 - Can of Heinekin in a field.
    Regular drinking in pubs at 17 - Magners cider.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭AllWasWell

16 - West Coast Cooler
    that was my first drink in a pub, had drank a few glasses of wine here at there since i was about 14

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭tinyk68

I was 16 and had 3 bottles of Stag at my friend's sister's 21st. Couldn't understand why everything was spinning.
    Ah the innocence of youth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

I was 14, got into The Oval in Dublin and had a few pints of Furstenberg. 3 pints for a fiver it was!!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭crazy cabbage

about five and it was wiskey :D

Put that on you tooth they said. That will clear up the pain and knock you out so we can get some sleep

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

babymanval wrote: »
    Bar some shandy watching USA '94 at 11 years old with some older lads, my first time was 14 years old... Anyone remember Woodys? They marked the inception of Alcopops here in 1997 or so. They were so sickly and thick!! I remember gettin sick strawberry dinner chunks out my nose a few weekends in a row once we found some lads to go off licence for us.

A quick google tells me that some places in the UK still sell lemon/lime Woodys! *Shudders*

Oh god I remember them. Toilet duck & sugar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

the_syco wrote: »
    Have you tried cider, and/or spirits?/
    It's not so much the taste of the drinks as it is the taste of the alcohol itself. It's an acquired taste (Much like coffee) that I just can't see myself ever liking.

In fact, I'd say most drinks would taste very nice if it wasn't for the alcohol content.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I think the would Ireland have better athlete if the GAA didn't exist should be changed to would Ireland have better athletes if it's young people stayed off the hooch.

My towns soccer team were champions for years on end until Under 16's. All of the top players started going out on the piss on Friday nights instead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

ziggy23 wrote: »
    I became homeless just looking at that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

17, pint of Budweiser in the old Western Star pub in UCC, first year college.

Still have a fondness for a pint of Bud, despite it tasting like a bum's piss..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

I was 12 and I had a white wine spritzer with my Sunday dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭blue note

I think I had a small glass of champagne for the millenium. I'd have been 13. First time "drinking" I'd have been 15 or 16. Two and a half cans of Samsons extra strong cider. One and a half would have been plenty!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭blaze1

14. White lightning. £1.20 for a litre. Now sold as industrial paint stripper.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Vicar in a tutu

blaze1 wrote: »
    14. White lightning. £1.20 for a litre. Now sold as industrial paint stripper.
    That's potent! drank 4 cans of it or something and violently died for the day:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

In a field on Paddy's day, naggins and Smirnoff Ice. The Classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

13 - can of piss Ritz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

10 - Half a magnum bottle of blue nun. Still can't drink white wine to this day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

oh the memories of Hackenborg, Tuborg and Dutch Gold - The Holy Trinity of underage knacker drinking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bobby42

15. 6 cans of Tuborg on Junoir Cert night. Got caught by the Gards though. They took the rest of my cans and threatened to arrest me. It scared the bejaysus out of me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

LizT wrote: »
    Had a glass of champagne when I was 11. It was horrible. First drink not with family was at 17 and it was a blue WKD. It was horrible too.

FYP. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

First drink taken as far as I recall I was about 12/13,I was at a party in a cousin's house and I sneaked a few bottles of harp out the back,maybe 2 or 3,The next day my eldest sister asked me was I drinking last night and I said yes,She says how much can you hold and me thinking that meant how much I could carry i answered about 3/4 six packs,.....she was impressed :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

I was allowed a glass of wine with my dinner from about age 12.

After that it was vodka (a 500ml coke bottle 50:50 coke and vodka) at Slane when I was 15. I got very slightly tipsy but I was grand.

6. yep 6. da got me drunk on harp. he was only 23. immature little b*****ks!!
    smoked my first smoke at 6 also. in my communion dress.

not a scrote, honest. if you saw me now you would never believe it!!
    sensible 30 something;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭HowAreWe

13 - Dutch Gold

stay classy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

When I was 4 or 5 I was at a wake. So I was sitting by the table with all the drinks on it and not really knowing what was going on. I did see a bottle of 7-up and a glass beside it that contained a transparent liquid that I thought was 7-up. But of course it was vodka. I thought I was going to die.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭AG2R

16, pint of Guinness

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭the bolt

about 13,,,,stag :o

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Fluffycloud

18 .... Had the pledge. Malibu and orange.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

guinness at 12
    vodka at 15
    ** scene missing **
    6 beer now

Advertisement