Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Plane Spotters Club

• 09-08-2012 2:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

ipsc,irishIrish Plane Spotters Club is a club for all Irish aviation enthusiasts. We are a new club but have strong hopes of organising gatherings at the main airports around Ireland. [url]Http://irishplanespottersclub.net[/url] that is the web address of the club. We need more members so that gatherings at airports are not just one person :-).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 DownTheSwanny

Why do you do this?
    What reason is there for 'spotting' planes?
    Am I missing something? or is an 'anorack' job?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 nightfoxnigh

For people who are aviation enthusiasts, watching planes is like watching sport, or car racing. The find it interesting and fun. A place to go and imagine their dreams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭bluecode

I think the Irishplanespotting club is an unfortunate name. It has all sorts of negative connotations these days. Visions of anoraks and somewhat autistic guys filling books with numbers.

They do exist of course but in the main most aviation enthusiasts simply like aeroplanes and aviation and are for the most part perfectly normal people with proper jobs. I've met Gardai, airport police, Lawyers etc. Some are even pilots. I've been guilty of standing by the airport fence with a camera on occasion. Most aviation enthusiasts go to airshows, visit airports, museums etc. It's a great hobby. No different than fans of other activities, motorsports etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭radar0976

Why do you do this?
    What reason is there for 'spotting' planes?
    Am I missing something? or is an 'anorack' job?
    Ehhh it's a hobby. It's like asking why people play golf, why do people collect stamps, why do people listen to classical music?

Like anybody else and their hobbies us plane spotters do it because we *enjoy* it. Simple as. The world would be an awfully boring place is everybody was interested in the same things.

@bluecode I dont know what you are on about, autistic guys. Do you have something against autistic guys? If so, I cannot take you seriously.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 19 FrontStorm

Just so you know, the acronym IPSC is already used by the Irish Palestinian Solidarity Campaign, so I think it's an unwise choice of name for your group. You don't want to associated with that rag-tag bunch of terrorist sympathizers.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭JJLongford

FrontStorm wrote: »
    Just so you know, the acronym IPSC is already used by the Irish Palestinian Solidarity Campaign, so I think it's an unwise choice of name for your group. You don't want to associated with that rag-tag bunch of terrorist sympathizers.
    One of the scumbag genocide sympathisers so? You're not a member of the Israeli Bulldozer Spotters Club by any chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

Fair play will give your site a goo daily

FrontStorm wrote: »
    Firstly I have thought about that, secondly, does not matter. You dont have to make everything an acronym. doesn't matter, about the acronym.

@bluecode I dont know what you are on about, autistic guys. Do you have something against autistic guys? If so, I cannot take you seriously.
    No, but it's no big secret that some of the more dedicated spotters display some of the symptons of autism or aspergers. I know I've met one or two over the years. They are the exception though. The 'anorak' type is more common!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 triocha

I think a good name would be "Grounded".

Because, I am in the unfortunate position (Like many others I am sure) that I am really interested in flying but have been never been in a financial position to go and actually do it. In some ways, its a curse and I wish I was born with no interest in planes etc. It has on occasion caused my depression because I know it will never happen for me so Spotting is as good as its ever gonna get.

So, if your like me, Grounded would be a more appropriate name and where do I sign up ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

bluecode wrote: »
    No, but it's no big secret that some of the more dedicated spotters display some of the symptons of autism or aspergers. I know I've met one or two over the years. They are the exception though. The 'anorak' type is more common!

I dont agree with your diagnosis of people just by observation.
    Would anyone agree with me that there is a lack of camaraderie between spotters at Dublin airport.

I wont be changing the name, as the domain is already got, and the name sounds better then grounded. You can register with facebook, twitter, windows live, steam or register normally, at the top there should be a link to register

drdeadlift wrote: »
    I dont agree with your diagnosis of people just by observation.
    Would anyone agree with me that there is a lack of camaraderie between spotters at Dublin airport.
    Isn't that one of the signs? ;)

The Aviation Society of Ireland used to get spotters/enthusiasts together. Organised trips. Even published a small magazine and organised an aviation fair every year. Well attended too. They seem quiet lately.

To be fair a group is needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭irishbloke77

Visions of anoraks and somewhat autistic guys filling books with numbers.

Not quite sure how to reply to a remark like that, except that it is making my blood boil. You make it sound like being autistic is optional like wearing an anorak or doing some plane spotting. Please never put a comment like that together again, there are a lot of people in this country working for autism associations to help better their lives and many families coming to terms with family members with autism. I am thinking that neither you or at least your immediate family members are autistic, otherwise you wouldn't make such a flippant remark?:mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 29 fougachap

Cant wait till this group really gets off the ground , so to speak.
    Should be a great opportunity to meet up with some interesting people and share our knowledge.

Not quite sure how to reply to a remark like that, except that it is making my blood boil. You make it sound like being autistic is optional like wearing an anorak or doing some plane spotting. Please never put a comment like that together again, there are a lot of people in this country working for autism associations to help better their lives and many families coming to terms with family members with autism. I am thinking that neither you or at least your immediate family members are autistic, otherwise you wouldn't make such a flippant remark?:mad:
    Oh for heaven's sake, if you know anything about Aspergers and Autism you know damm well the situation. I have personal experience of people with Autism and Aspergers. If you know anything at all about the subject then you know exactly what I'm talking about and yes those people do exist and some of them are friends of mine to the extent they can have friends on their terms.

If you want to be all politically correct then go ahead. I live in the real world.

Most spotters are not autistic. Some are. That's the way it is.

Lets hope the new spotters club caters for all people ,

It does, please don't start a flame war in this topic please. I started this club for all aviation enthusiasts to join and have fun in, regardless of whether they are autistic or not.

dont get me wrong im with you on this.thats why i said its great for everyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

When I was a young fella, I used to love going up to the Airport (Cork) and doing the plane spotter thing until I realised that jotting down regs was a bit naff, to say the least and the best place to be was inside the fence and not outside it. I'm an aircraft engineer and a CPL holder, so it's not undo-able or unaffordable. I always find it odd that a reggie spotter will say that he can't afford to fly even a microlight, yet he can fund expensive cameras, trips to foreign airports, visits to airshows,etc,etc. If you really love aircraft, get off your arse and go fly, not down the back of a tube full of pax.It's not as dear as you think and most pilots will bring you up, if you ask.

regards
    Stovepipe

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭JJLongford

Stovepipe wrote: »
    When I was a young fella, I used to love going up to the Airport (Cork) and doing the plane spotter thing until I realised that jotting down regs was a bit naff, to say the least and the best place to be was inside the fence and not outside it. I'm an aircraft engineer and a CPL holder, so it's not undo-able or unaffordable. I always find it odd that a reggie spotter will say that he can't afford to fly even a microlight, yet he can fund expensive cameras, trips to foreign airports, visits to airshows,etc,etc. If you really love aircraft, get off your arse and go fly, not down the back of a tube full of pax.It's not as dear as you think and most pilots will bring you up, if you ask.

regards
    Stovepipe
    I've found not everyone that's into aviation wants to fly the things. I know someone that loves it all but is quite nervous at the controls. Others get very sick and can't get to grips with it at all. If taking regs and photos does it for them, what harm?

On the subject of autism, some of the major progression of the human race has been achieved by the more autistic people (we're all on the spectrum). There's said to be an above average percentage of autistic people in Sillicon Valley as most good IT coders are autistic.

Bluecode is just taking the mick and to be fair it is a funny stereotype, the guy that looks a little special on the fence. A little like the guy that records trains. I rented a place with a guy, was very normal, used to look up videos on youtube of tractors all the time. Planes are a bit cooler than tractors!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

What happened to the Aviation Society of Ireland? Does it still exist?

I used to love camping at the end of the runway in Shannon watching aircraft, even today i note strange registrations that i hear on the radio, or note aircraft in airports, its a strange urge based on curiosity.

I got an immense thrill the first time that i operated an aircraft over the Atlantic, and an even bigger thrill when I operated into Shannon and then across the Atlantic. I have to be the first person who ever asked the Shannon handling agent to deliver Tayto crisps and the Irish Times to an aircraft :) They on the other hand must have been surprised to see me flying in a Munster jersey :)

smurfjed

smurfjed wrote: »
    What happened to the Aviation Society of Ireland? Does it still exist?

I used to love camping at the end of the runway in Shannon watching aircraft, even today i note strange registrations that i hear on the radio, or note aircraft in airports, its a strange urge based on curiosity.

I got an immense thrill the first time that i operated an aircraft over the Atlantic, and an even bigger thrill when I operated into Shannon and then across the Atlantic. I have to be the first person who ever asked the Shannon handling agent to deliver Tayto crisps and the Irish Times to an aircraft :) They on the other hand must have been surprised to see me flying in a Munster jersey :)

smurfjed

Hey, do you want to meet up for lunch some day, maybe at Shannon? Seems like we have compataple interests, sounds like we'd get on like a house on fire. :);)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭irishbloke77

Oh for heaven's sake, if you know anything about Aspergers and Autism you know damm well the situation. I have personal experience of people with Autism and Aspergers. If you know anything at all about the subject then you know exactly what I'm talking about and yes those people do exist and some of them are friends of mine to the extent they can have friends on their terms.

If you want to be all politically correct then go ahead. I live in the real world.

Most spotters are not autistic. Some are. That's the way it is.

Then don't go around saying you have visions of "somewhat autistic guys" collecting numbers "but in the main most aviation enthusiasts simply like aeroplanes and aviation and are for the most part perfectly normal people with proper jobs". It's a hard enough job trying to tell people with autism that they are normal and try to help them enjoy a normal life without someone coming on here and pointing out what they may suffer from. Yes, autistic people may enjoy plane spotting along with many other hobbies. That doesn't mean you differentiate between them and "normal people". I don't think you meant anything by it andcanappreciate you have personal experience on this, but some on here don't and could easily pick it up wrongly.

Anyhow, back to subject, looking forward to the club.

The site has been up, and we have had a few meet ups, with varing success, the first was a success in that at least one person showed up. The second though was even better, with 6 of us showing up. And we were lucky for both occasions, with the weather. We have two meetups organised for this month, one for a plane spotting day at Dublin, and the other is a mix of plane spotting and visiting the aviation fair at the ALSAA club. The site http://irishplanespottersclub.net All new members are welcome. Any current members having trouble logging in, there is an issue I am unsure of, or how to fix, but the login via facebook works fine.

Well there is a meet tomorrow, for anyone who is interested in coming along. Meet at 10 on the road beside runway 10/28. Looks like runway 10 will be active, so it will either be the 28 end, or the 10 end that we will be at.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭de biz

Air France 777 is scheduled to land at 0900.

Enjoy!

I will be out at Dublin Airport next weekend if any oif you guys would like to join me, you are more then welcome.

• Advertisement

Could I ask a mod to make this a sticky please?

Advertisement