Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for New & Current Students

Options
  • 09-08-2012 3:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭

Just thought I would start a thread for anyone who wishes to offer general tips; advice and support for people just starting in ITTralee this year. It could also even assist current students who may have had the heads in the books for so much of their time, they may not know :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭hacx

is it true on the first day you have to beat someone up or become someone's bitch?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,757 ✭✭✭✭Encrypted Pigeon

yes - choose your opponent wisely.

On a serious note. Show up to your lectures and labs, no matter how boring you think it is. I have seen it countless number of times where guys/gals find the subject hard or boring and their solution is to avoid it but then struggle at the end of the semester. Just show up, you would be surprised at how good the old sponge is a absorbing information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Opinicus

hacx wrote: »
    is it true on the first day you have to beat someone up or become someone's bitch?

Yes. I did a Rorschach on everybody in the canteen. "None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you, you're locked in here with me."

Sintel wrote: »
    yes - choose your opponent wisely.

On a serious note. Show up to your lectures and labs, no matter how boring you think it is. I have seen it countless number of times where guys/gals find the subject hard or boring and their solution is to avoid it but then struggle at the end of the semester. Just show up, you would be surprised at how good the old sponge is a absorbing information.

Agree. If there is one tip I would give anyone it is this. Just go to lectures. It's amazing what you learn just by osmosis.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭hacx

Actually, with a serious question - what specifically can they help me with there with regards to housing?

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JFlah

1 Don,t be afraid to admit if you are struggling, you'll be surprised how many people are struggling with various modules.

2 Just because a module in 1st Semester may seem pointless or un-important(there are some!) They are still worth 5 credits and some are VERY easy credits , so give them attention also

3 Start working on Assignments asap after getting them it will make a huge difference, you can easily get the bulk of the work done with loads of time to review and improve things , if you let it go until the last minute it WILL show, and why make things difficult for yourself?

4 even though optional DO attend tutorials even if you have a good grasp of the subject you,ll be surprised what you pick up ... exam tips etc .

5 DO attend!! it may seem obvious but the people that have good attendance do MUCH better.

6 IF you find that your course is not what you expected or you are totally disillusioned , SEEK help/advice immediately. ITT is a very friendly and helpful place in my experience.

7 Use the support facilities and student services , it can and will help

8 Try to mix with your classmates young and old male and female it makes things much easier to have a friendly/fun atmosphere in a group

9 Relax and enjoy the experience

My 2 cents worth :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭angs77

the best advise to give anyone starting in any college is to show up to lectures and labs - you can't learn if you don't attend.

If you are struggling with anything in the ITT, they have great support services in the Q block, get to know those services and get to know your Students Union - this years president is a very nice guy who has a lot of experience.

the other nugget of advise I would give you is - stay on top of your course work. I've seen people who leave it until the night before to study or prep for exams and end up repeating in Aug' at a cost of €120. The time will fly, so use it wisely!

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭sheao

I will be driving to college some days.Is there much parking in the north campus ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,757 ✭✭✭✭Encrypted Pigeon

Can be tight around the front, really depends on the time of day. There should be loads if you drive around the back though, just watch out for the staff car park because if you are caught there you will have the privilege of trying to scrap off one of those lovely violation stickers off one of your windows.

Park out the back, its pretty much impossible to get a space out the front.

The north campus has a few big car parks out the back once you don't mind pot holes when it rains very heavy.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 HelenaRose

I'm hopefully starting at ITTralee this September and I'd be moving up from Dublin to do the Wildlife Biology course, does anyone have any tips or advice?

• Advertisement

as far as I remember that is run in the South Campus. So the same advise I gave last year, get to know where student services are, get to know your Students Union (they have offices in both campuses) and attend your lectures and labs. Your attendance counts at course board meetings at the end of each semester, so like the lotto ad, if your not in you can't win.

I had four of the best years in the ITT with supportive lecturers that want you to learn and succeed and would recommend it as a college to any student.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭nitros7

I hope you did well Wednesday (Asuming you are not a mature student BTW)
    As for advice for accomodation Kings court would be the nearest to the South Campus I think its €50-€60 a week all in. They are secure and modern enough. You can get the bus outside every morning or take a short 10 minute stroll to get to campus.
    Defo would sencond the post get to know your SU officers. Can be a handy bunch to know if you need help with anything and doesn't hurt to be friendly with the guys representing the student body :)

HelenaRose wrote: »
    I'm hopefully starting at ITTralee this September and I'd be moving up from Dublin to do the Wildlife Biology course, does anyone have any tips or advice?

nitros7 wrote: »
    I hope you did well Wednesday (Asuming you are not a mature student BTW)
    As for advice for accomodation Kings court would be the nearest to the South Campus I think its €50-€60 a week all in. They are secure and modern enough. You can get the bus outside every morning or take a short 10 minute stroll to get to campus.
    Defo would sencond the post get to know your SU officers. Can be a handy bunch to know if you need help with anything and doesn't hurt to be friendly with the guys representing the student body :)

Thanks!! I'm pretty confident I got the points for it! We've already put a deposit down for Oakfield Court as it was recommended to my mam by a friend. Do you know anything about this accommodation? I know it's a little further out but I walk everywhere anyway so that's not a problem haha.
    Thanks! I'll try to get to know them! I'm so nervous about making friends though and how it's all gonna go...I've never been to Tralee so my first time will be moving day! Is the town easy enough to get used to and find your way around? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,549 ✭✭✭✭siblers

If wildlife is on in south campus, then your campus is within 10 minutes to the centre of Tralee town. Town is very easy to get around, although Tralee is quite big the shops etc are all located quite near each other all on a few streets. King's Court is around 10-15 minute walk from south campus, there will also be buses running hourly that will pick you up near your accommodation. There is a Tescos, Mcdonalds, chinese takeaway, TKmax and a few others within a few minutes of Kings Court. It would be a bit of a trek into the centre of Tralee town from King's Court but it wouldn't be very expensive with a taxi. Odds are you'll get to be friends with plenty of people who will drive anyway. There's also a Dunnes within a few minutes of South Campus.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭DestructiveApe

Thanks!! I'm pretty confident I got the points for it! We've already put a deposit down for Oakfield Court as it was recommended to my mam by a friend. Do you know anything about this accommodation? I know it's a little further out but I walk everywhere anyway so that's not a problem haha.
    Thanks! I'll try to get to know them! I'm so nervous about making friends though and how it's all gonna go...I've never been to Tralee so my first time will be moving day! Is the town easy enough to get used to and find your way around? :)

Your going to be living next to Subway and an off licence.. That's all i know :p

Your going to be living next to Subway and an off licence.. That's all i know :p

Sure that's all I need! Hahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭katieg19

I'm in the exact same boat as you! :) Anyone have preference over An sean mhuíleann and Kingscourt? Just trying to figure out which is the best option! :)

katieg19 wrote: »
    I'm in the exact same boat as you! :) Anyone have preference over An sean mhuíleann and Kingscourt? Just trying to figure out which is the best option! :)

Did you get Wildlife Biology too? :D I've gone for Oakfield Court because one of my parents friends kids went there and liked it! Congrats if you got your course!!

Did you get Wildlife Biology too? :D I've gone for Oakfield Court because one of my parents friends kids went there and liked it! Congrats if you got your course!!
    I did, actually turned it down last year as I wanted to pursue a line of veterinary and lost out to random selection! Looking forward to it now though :) Congrats to you too! :) My friend is going into second year of this course and he really likes it! Just the accommodation is a worry! Oakfield court does look good. Might just look at prices or something and see which is cheaper if people arent forwarding a particular one! :)

I did, actually turned it down last year as I wanted to pursue a line of veterinary and lost out to random selection! Looking forward to it now though :) Congrats to you too! :) My friend is going into second year of this course and he really likes it! Just the accommodation is a worry! Oakfield court does look good. Might just look at prices or something and see which is cheaper if people arent forwarding a particular one! :)

Oh that's brilliant I can't wait to see what it's going to be like!! Yeah I should have looked around maybe a little bit more because it's not as close as the others but sure it doesn't look like a kip and that's the main thing! I'll see you down there so haha! :)

• Advertisement

Exactly! Be grand! :) Sure you'll be spending most of the time away from the room anyway only issue with any of the places i would see is the people you could be stuck with! haha! I'm starting to look forward to it now. It's a trek from Dublin but I love kerry anyways. hehe :) seeing this course more positively now! :)

Exactly! Be grand! :) Sure you'll be spending most of the time away from the room anyway only issue with any of the places i would see is the people you could be stuck with! haha! I'm starting to look forward to it now. It's a trek from Dublin but I love kerry anyways. hehe :) seeing this course more positively now! :)

Yeah you're right there! Yeah I can't wait, only 3 weeks now til I move down! Excited to meet lots of new people too, even though I'm terrified of the thought aswell haha! Yeah it's like a four hour drive or something and six hours on the bus! Doesn't look like I'll be going home for a while by the sound of that! I've never been to Tralee so I haven't a clue about the place! Have you been?

Gonna be good. Been to kerry a lot as I've family and all that further south. Tralee is alright, but there are better places in Kerry! The campus is supposed to be good. I suppose once I have the whole accommodation thing sorted it will be grand! Its also around 4 hours (could also be less!) to tralee from heuston on the train. Its a nice train ride too :)

Oh really? That's not too bad! Probs more expensive than the bus though! I'm just excited to get down there and get started :)

Oh really? That's not too bad! Probs more expensive than the bus though! I'm just excited to get down there and get started :)

Not sure about the bus but a return train ticket is around 33 euro for a student, train is also way nicer too! :) Shall be grand though! See you there in September! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28 lady365

Lived in Sean Mhuileann last year and returning to it again in Sept. very close to the town and only a 10 minute walk to south campus. Myself is in the north but a shuttle bus runs every hr. Its a Really nice place, sometimes noisy on busy nights. Some friends of mine are in kings court , can be very noisy most nights tho. Might be hard to get stuff done.

lady365 wrote: »
    Lived in Sean Mhuileann last year and returning to it again in Sept. very close to the town and only a 10 minute walk to south campus. Myself is in the north but a shuttle bus runs every hr. Its a Really nice place, sometimes noisy on busy nights. Some friends of mine are in kings court , can be very noisy most nights tho. Might be hard to get stuff done.
    So in your opinion Sean Mhuileann would be a better choice than kings court?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 lady365

So in your opinion Sean Mhuileann would be a better choice than kings court?

Yeah def recommend an sean mhuileann over kings court.it kinda depends on what type of person u are. If u are up to going out every night then kings court is the place for u. i like going out maybe once a week but thats all.
    Good luck!

lady365 wrote: »
    Yeah def recommend an sean mhuileann over kings court.it kinda depends on what type of person u are. If u are up to going out every night then kings court is the place for u. i like going out maybe once a week but thats all.
    Good luck!

I'm the same..haha:) an sean mhuileann is it then i guess! :) thanks so much :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 sarahmac287

Where does the shuttle bus stop at for north campus? and how much does it cost

Advertisement