Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[Wanted/Share] House Share in Dun Laoghaire/near DCFE

• 09-08-2012 5:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 45

So I'm 18, female & starting in DCFE in a few weeks, gonna be doing music production. I don't know anyone going to college in Dublin so I'm looking for people to share a house with! I don't mind sharing with males or females, as long as you're not dry sh¡tes it's all good ha :D I'm really easy going, love going out, gigs etc.. so I'd like to share with similar people! I'd like a room of my own and I wouldn't want to pay more than €350 a month! Anyone interested? :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Hi there! My brother is in the same boat at you. Just reply myself as he doesn't have an account on here. He thought he found a house but then it fell through...very hard to find somewhere in the area!

He is actually doing the same course as you, is 20 very easy going etc..

Maybe if a few people wanting to live in the same area could reply to this thread and ye could rent a house together? There are a few houses around DL but you'd need a few people to bring the rent down! I go to college in Cork and it's SO much easier to find accom there!

Anyway, look forward to hearing from you!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Nippleh

Hey there, I'm in the same boat looking for a place around there at the moment.
    I'm 18, just starting out in college in IADT (hopefully), I'd be interested in joining this. I'll be studying Audio Visual Media Technology.
    Just looking for laid back (not messy!) people :) I'm open minded, like going to gigs, meeting new people and so on!
    Let me know anyway if anything spouts up!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 original username1

So that's 3 of us so far.. this could work :D 1 or 2 more people would be good to make the rent less expensive! Where should we be looking? I looked at houses on daft.ie but it's hard to know what the price would really be without knowing how many people would be living in it! Either of you have any ideas? I don't know Dublin that well so I wouldn't be too sure what areas I should be looking at

I don't know, I've just been looking in places in Dun Laoghaire and Blackrock and those sort of surrounding areas. I'm pretty unsure too though! Rent.ie is another good place to look

• Registered Users Posts: 32 _linz_

Hey guys, sorry for butting in :p me and my friend are in the same boat, Dun Loaghaire is very dear to rent in the cheapest places ive seen start at around 450 per person per month!

• Advertisement

_linz_ wrote: »
    Hey guys, sorry for butting in :p me and my friend are in the same boat, Dun Loaghaire is very dear to rent in the cheapest places ive seen start at around 450 per person per month!

Yeah they're pretty expensive. I was thinking rent could be cheaper by doing it this way rather than moving into a room in a house that people already live in.. But it's hard to know! Would you & your friend be interested in doing this too? Like a few of us together finding a house? If so then I think we should all look on those websites like daft.ie & rent.ie and send links of what houses look good :)

Hey!

I was looking on Daft/Rent.ie and a lot of the houses I've found seem to only have 2-3 bedrooms...which is a problem! Would be quite expensive. Keep me updated anyway!

Hey :) I'm not sure if my friend is interested yet but if shes not. I saw this 4 bed place for 1500 a month i'd say if that doesnt include utilities it would work out about 400 a month or less...its the cheapest I've seen yet http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1245761

Hey :) I'm not sure if my friend is interested yet but if shes not. I saw this 4 bed place for 1500 a month i'd say if that doesnt include utilities it would work out about 400 a month or less...its the cheapest I've seen yet http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1245761

According to google maps it's only a few minutes from my college so yeah it's sounding alright so far! Doesn't look like that nice of a house but sure I suppose we can't afford to be picky haha :pac: I'll have a look too & see it I come across any others! That one says it has 2 double bedrooms & 2 single bedrooms so does that mean 6 of us could live there if some people don't mind sharing a room? What college/course are you & your friend doing? :)

Lia_lia wrote: »
    Hey!

I was looking on Daft/Rent.ie and a lot of the houses I've found seem to only have 2-3 bedrooms...which is a problem! Would be quite expensive. Keep me updated anyway!

Yeah I will! If you/your brother find anything keep us updated too :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭board stiff

I'm starting college next month in Dun Laoghaire, been looking at different options aswell. I'm going to SCD myself which is close to DCFE. I know its odd when no one knows each other really on here but I would like to express my interest in this idea, and even if we don't end up sharing together we might at least help one another out securing somewhere to stay.

I'm starting college next month in Dun Laoghaire, been looking at different options aswell. I'm going to SCD myself which is close to DCFE. I know its odd when no one knows each other really on here but I would like to express my interest in this idea, and even if we don't end up sharing together we might at least help one another out securing somewhere to stay.

Yeah I know we don't know each other here but I like knowing I'd be living with other students :) what course are you doing?

Going into second year in sallynoggin college of further education studying advanced hair and beauty :) i stayed in digs last year on my own cause I knew no one coming up but I wasn't really able to have the craic or the 'college experience' so wanted i change this year :P

You're not a stranger, just a friend I haven't already met :) I'll be doing Creative Multimedia next month hopefully, Music Production sounds interesting. The best I can do is twinkle twinkle little star on the piano, almost.

Going into second year in sallynoggin college of further education studying advanced hair and beauty :) i stayed in digs last year on my own cause I knew no one coming up but I wasn't really able to have the craic or the 'college experience' so wanted i change this year :P

Well that's why I want to get a house with other students so I think we're on the same page haha :P are you gonna ask your friend if she's interested in this too? :)

Yep ill say it to her first thing tomorrow :) oh and for that house i think the double rooms have double beds so unless people want to share beds id say it would only fit 4 :P

You're not a stranger, just a friend I haven't already met :) I'll be doing Creative Multimedia next month hopefully, Music Production sounds interesting. The best I can do is twinkle twinkle little star on the piano, almost.

Good point :P Haha well tbh I can't do much with it either but hopefully I'll learn! I still need to get my Leaving Cert results on Wednesday to be sure that I'm going but I only need 2 Cs so it's not too much to ask for! Where are you from? :)

Yep ill say it to her first thing tomorrow :) oh and for that house i think the double rooms have double beds so unless people want to share beds id say it would only fit 4 :P

Oh right didn't think of that! Ok well tell us what she says when you know :) if she's up for it then maybe we should e-mail the agent to sort out a viewing? Well after Wednesday anyway I suppose just to be sure I get the grades I need :pac:

Good point :P Haha well tbh I can't do much with it either but hopefully I'll learn! I still need to get my Leaving Cert results on Wednesday to be sure that I'm going but I only need 2 Cs so it's not too much to ask for! Where are you from? :)

Best of luck to you. I'm from the north west of this lovely country, though I have visited Dublin regularly. If I find a place to stay it will be nice to go to a gig/show and not have to think about driving back up after it.

Best of luck to you. I'm from the north west of this lovely country, though I have visited Dublin regularly. If I find a place to stay it will be nice to go to a gig/show and not have to think about driving back up after it.

Thanks! I'm from the north west as well :) I've been in Dublin a good bit too, it's so different to where I live but it's always good craic! Did you look at the house in that link?

• Advertisement

Thanks! I'm from the north west as well :) I've been in Dublin a good bit too, it's so different to where I live but it's always good craic! Did you look at the house in that link?

Yeah I had a look at it. That was a fair point from _linz_ about the bedrooms, but 4 should cover the costs if my basic math skills are ok. The place looks good enough from the pics. Was just checking the dublin bus website there, bus stop is very close to the house which is nice.

Yeah I had a look at it. That was a fair point from _linz_ about the bedrooms, but 4 should cover the costs if my basic math skills are ok. The place looks good enough from the pics. Was just checking the dublin bus website there, bus stop is very close to the house which is nice.

Yeah I guess there won't be much going for less than €375 each anyway! Would be cool if it was single beds though so everyone who replied here could get it! Any chance you could give me a link to the bus stop that is near the house so I can see which buses stop at it? Are you going alone too or do you have friends in Dublin or anything? :)

Yeah I guess there won't be much going for less than €375 each anyway! Would be cool if it was single beds though so everyone who replied here could get it! Any chance you could give me a link to the bus stop that is near the house so I can see which buses stop at it? Are you going alone too or do you have friends in Dublin or anything? :)
    I'm going alone :( I have a friend and relation in Dublin but they are both in the city centre. Even though its easy to get out there the constant travelling would put me off, I'd rather be closer to where I'm studying then I can decide whenever I want to go into the city. PMd the link to you.

I'm going alone :( I have a friend and relation in Dublin but they are both in the city centre. Even though its easy to get out there the constant travelling would put me off, I'd rather be closer to where I'm studying then I can decide whenever I want to go into the city. PMd the link to you.

Well loads of us are in the same boat so it won't be too bad! least thanks to this thread we'll be familiar with a few people :p yeah I thought the same.. living in the city seems like it'd be more fun 'cause you'd be closer to everything but I wouldn't be bothered with the travelling to college every day either!

Lia_lia & Nippleh take a look at these too :)

I like this one http://www.rent.ie/houses-to-let/6-Glen-Drive-The-Park-Cabinteely-Dublin-18/1240950/

If Google Maps is right then it's not too far from either of our colleges. I know it says something about a 'family house' but do you think it matters? It has 5 bedrooms but could fit 7 people 'cause it has 2 twin rooms

Hey my friend isnt interested but i am ha :P the link of the house i put up is really near dun laoghaire and the number 7 bus goes right passed it :)

I like this one http://www.rent.ie/houses-to-let/6-Glen-Drive-The-Park-Cabinteely-Dublin-18/1240950/

If Google Maps is right then it's not too far from either of our colleges. I know it says something about a 'family house' but do you think it matters? It has 5 bedrooms but could fit 7 people 'cause it has 2 twin rooms

Min one year lease?

Hey my friend isnt interested but i am ha :P the link of the house i put up is really near dun laoghaire and the number 7 bus goes right passed it :)

They both seem similar distances from Dun Laoghaire, 7/8 minutes! I wouldn't know that area of Dublin well so I'm just going by what the Internet says though, could be wrong. It's just that the Cabinteely one is a bit cheaper, well if we get at least 5 people for the rooms that is! & there's 5 of us that replied here. Dublin Bus website is confusing me but it seems like there are bus stops a few minutes from the house. We should see any house before we make a decision anyway :)

• Advertisement

Min one year lease?

Could that count as 1 academic year, like September-May/June?

Haha, no!

There are very few houses around DL that actually want students living there. My brother has viewed 3 now and they all ended up going to professionals (not students!) who took out a lease for a year or more..

Haha, no!

There are very few houses around DL that actually want students living there. My brother has viewed 3 now and they all ended up going to professionals (not students!) who took out a lease for a year or more..

Never know unless we ask.

True! No harm in asking. I just have a lot of experience with renting houses, been in college for 4 years. I seriously doubt they are gonna let a bunch of students in that house!

True! No harm in asking. I just have a lot of experience with renting houses, been in college for 4 years. I seriously doubt they are gonna let a bunch of students in that house!

Yeah I think I'm just being hopeful ha, oh well :)

The one in Cabinteely looks really nice! Envy the crap out of who ever ends up with the balcony room though :P
    The distance is nice too, I was afraid I'd have to look in the centre but I like the idea of keeping it somewhat coastal!

• Advertisement

Nippleh wrote: »
    The one in Cabinteely looks really nice! Envy the crap out of who ever ends up with the balcony room though :P
    The distance is nice too, I was afraid I'd have to look in the centre but I like the idea of keeping it somewhat coastal!

Yeah I think it's really nice too. I'd take it if we could/if the rest want to :P Lia_lia probably has a point that they're not going to want students to rent out a nice house like that though! We should see what they say anyway just in case! No idea what I'm meant to say if I'm gonna ring the number though.. I can imagine mentioning that we're students might put him off but there's no other way to ask if we can get it for the academic year.. Sure it's worth a try anyway :)

I guess just say there is a group of five students and very interested and lovely? :P And maybe he'll let us view it?
    I imagine we're going to have to ring up a lot of places first, so keep looking too. What price are we hoping for, around 1800 like that place?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70 ✭✭MusicLoud

Having The Same Problem :( Tis Actually So Hard To Find A Place! Myself And Three Friends Are Looking For Something In Dublin 8 Or City Centre! Fckin Impossible! :(

I guess just say there is a group of five students and very interested and lovely? :P And maybe he'll let us view it?
    I imagine we're going to have to ring up a lot of places first, so keep looking too. What price are we hoping for, around 1800 like that place?

Yeah I'll just put on a mature sophisticated voice & hope it works haha, yeah I'd say you're right. Yep around that price, well that's just me anyway, not sure about the rest of us. I wouldn't really want to be paying much more than €350 each, but even a bit above that might be ok! I wouldn't mind living a bit further out from the college as long as there's buses available. So if the rest of you would be the same then maybe we can look a bit further out if there's nothing else closer to Dun Laoghaire around that price. Depends what you all think :)

MusicLoud wrote: »
    Having The Same Problem :( Tis Actually So Hard To Find A Place! Myself And Three Friends Are Looking For Something In Dublin 8 Or City Centre! Fckin Impossible! :(

Yeah I didn't think it'd be so hard to find suitable places! Have you tried ringing up/viewing any houses yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70 ✭✭MusicLoud

Yeah I didn't think it'd be so hard to find suitable places! Have you tried ringing up/viewing any houses yet?

Well Nothing Really Is Suitable For Us Yano? Two Of Us Start On The 10th So Time Is Ticking :( Never Done Anything Like This Before, Finding Somewhere To Live :P Damun Its Tricky! :)

We should get numbers definite because I'm seeing smaller ones that could work out maybe either, but most of this depends on numbers

We should get numbers definite because I'm seeing smaller ones that could work out maybe either, but most of this depends on numbers

Yeah, so everyone who replied to this thread - who is genuinely up for viewing some houses together? I am

We'd also need to sort out a day before I ring the guy about the house in Cabinteely. & I guess for the other house linked here and if we find any other suitable ones, we should do them all the same day if we can! Any day from the 21st on would be fine for me, how about the rest of you? :)

http://www.rent.ie/houses-to-let/Patrick-Street-Dun-Laoghaire-Co-Dublin/1228666/

That's a house too.
    But the 21st is a little late, no? Lots of houses disappear...

http://www.rent.ie/houses-to-let/Patrick-Street-Dun-Laoghaire-Co-Dublin/1228666/

That's a house too.
    But the 21st is a little late, no? Lots of houses disappear...

Yeah that looks nice too but tbh I'd only be able to afford it if we got 6 or 7 people to live in it meaning some people would have to share rooms :/ Well the 18th is the next free day that I have

http://www.rent.ie/houses-to-let/10-StPatricks-Crescent-Dun-Laoghaire-Co-Dublin/1200964/

No pictures but free wifi and included bills? Just throwing out stuff

In regards to affording stuff, like who ever gets the nice double bedroom could pay a little more if money is an issue?
    Hopefully we'll find something more manageable though :)

My brother is driving up (all the way from Kerry!) on Tuesday to view a house (that has one room to share). If anyone wants to organise any other viewings or anything for Tuesday he could go..

In regards to affording stuff, like who ever gets the nice double bedroom could pay a little more if money is an issue?
    Hopefully we'll find something more manageable though :)

Yeah that could be done, depends what is yours & everyone else's budget? board stiff, lia_lia & _linz_ what's yours?

My brother is driving up (all the way from Kerry!) on Tuesday to view a house (that has one room to share). If anyone wants to organise any other viewings or anything for Tuesday he could go..

Well I can't do Tuesday so depends on other people.. hopefully someone can go with him though! The soonest I can go to Dublin is Saturday 'cause I have work & other things on the rest of the week. Is Saturday ok for anybody else?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement