Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work Placement in New York for BSc. pyschology?

Options
  • 09-08-2012 5:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

I will be doing work placement in the 3rd year of my degree (as well as erasmus) and I am wondering

1) How long work placement for Psychology is?

2) If it will be possible to complete it in New York as I will also be going abroad the following semester for Study Abroad?

3) How much more expensive would that be?

4) Any other information regarding coop and Erasmus in UL

I know that when I return to college in a few weeks we will have meetings regarding all this but I really want to know ASAP

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 chalmerss

slipskip wrote: »
    I will be doing work placement in the 3rd year of my degree (as well as erasmus) and I am wondering

2) If it will be possible to complete it in New York as I will also be going abroad the following semester for Study Abroad?

I know that when I return to college in a few weeks we will have meetings regarding all this but I really want to know ASAP

Thanks in advance

Hey there.

Psychology placements are officially required to be 6 months long, though I've heard of people doing the BA in psych who only worked for 4 months, so really in depends on the mood of the co op department. To be safe plan it for 6 months- you can give or take roughly two weeks either way.

It is possible to complete it abroad even though you are going away on erasmus. You must get your employer to write a letter detailing the length of time you will be there and the duties you will be undertaking. It doesn't have to be very long or very comprehensive, one or two paragraphs will be fine. You must also write a summary about the company including what they do and what you will be doing there. After you submit these form to the co op dept. and they will have to approve it, which they almost always do. All the details for doing your own co op can be found on the ul website.

As for the expense, I don't know. If you get a paid placement in NY then that should absorb some of the cost. You should ask someone you know who's been to NY about rent, as I imagine it will be quite a lot. It is very difficult to find paid placements in psychology, so be aware of that. Erasmus however, no matter where you do it will be expensive. You couldn't imagine the amount of money you go through in a few months when studying abroad.

I would advise you to get both your co op and erasmus sorted as soon as possible, as the later you leave it the less availabilities there are. Erasmus is usually first come first serve, so if you don't get in there quickly with your choice you could end up going somewhere you really don't want to. It's also stressful when you leave sorting them till the last minute as you will also have lectures/assignments/exams to be worrying about.

Hope this helps, if you have anymore questions feel free to ask!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 slipskip

chalmerss wrote: »
    slipskip wrote: »

Thanks in advance

Hey there.

Psychology placements are officially required to be 6 months long, though I've heard of people doing the BA in psych who only worked for 4 months, so really in depends on the mood of the co op department. To be safe plan it for 6 months- you can give or take roughly two weeks either way.

It is possible to complete it abroad even though you are going away on erasmus. You must get your employer to write a letter detailing the length of time you will be there and the duties you will be undertaking. It doesn't have to be very long or very comprehensive, one or two paragraphs will be fine. You must also write a summary about the company including what they do and what you will be doing there. After you submit these form to the co op dept. and they will have to approve it, which they almost always do. All the details for doing your own co op can be found on the ul website.

As for the expense, I don't know. If you get a paid placement in NY then that should absorb some of the cost. You should ask someone you know who's been to NY about rent, as I imagine it will be quite a lot. It is very difficult to find paid placements in psychology, so be aware of that. Erasmus however, no matter where you do it will be expensive. You couldn't imagine the amount of money you go through in a few months when studying abroad.

I would advise you to get both your co op and erasmus sorted as soon as possible, as the later you leave it the less availabilities there are. Erasmus is usually first come first serve, so if you don't get in there quickly with your choice you could end up going somewhere you really don't want to. It's also stressful when you leave sorting them till the last minute as you will also have lectures/assignments/exams to be worrying about.

Hope this helps, if you have anymore questions feel free to ask!

Thanks a million! That was all really helpful, I'm actually in NY at the moment on a j1 and if I move here next year I'll be living with a friend I mine over here

I know it's really difficult to get paid palcemnt but I'm hoping I'"ll get lucky, I'm going to start planning this ASAP. 2 more questions

How long are the average hours for coop, I it 25 per week?
    And
    Will I still get my grant on my coop/erasmus?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 chalmerss

Honestly the hours will be up to your employer. As far as I know most people work the full 39 hour week. Placements are usually full time but again, it depends on who is employing you. I think the co op dept. will approve almost everything.

No one gets a grant for co op from what I've heard. Unless you're already getting a grant for being in college. In which case I don't know.

The grant is for erasmus. I think it's only available to you if you study somewhere in Europe, as it is awarded by the EU. So if you decide to study in the US or Canada then you won't receive anything (but again, you should check that out). The grant is €1100, but honestly don't let that keep you in Europe if you want to stay in the US.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭neil_

There aren't any "pre arranged" coops in new york for psychology so you'll have to find an employer yourself and sort everything out.. But if you can find something that you can plausibly relate to psychology it should be fine. Theres a girl in my class doing research in the university of birmingham which she sorted out herself.

Whether or not you get paid, working hours etc is all up to your employer. Practically all of the psych placements in Ireland are unpaid, so if you can persuade someone to give you enough $$ to live on it might actually be cheaper than doing it in Ireland. I think (not sure) the research department in UL pays, but do you really wanna do your coop in UL.. Im teaching english in mexico atm and i get paid enough to live on and travel around in mexico a bit, so i basically just had to pay for flights and vaccinations. I think most of the TEFL placements are similar.

Erasmus.. I'm going to warsaw, I don't really expect to spend any more money than I do in Limerick.. Warsaw is definitely the cheapest option from whats offered to psychology students in europe, spain might not be that expensive either

Advertisement