Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dole Money to Head off

• 09-08-2012 7:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭

should the government give people the money to go to foreign countries to look for work for a year? lets say they give me a years worth of dole to do it: 188x 52= 9,976 euro. (we'll say 10,000 euro to keep it even;))that would mean id be outta their hair for a year and if i make a balls of it and come home after a month or two i cant claim dole for the year i was supposed to be gone.

this would be totally down to me and my own tough ****e as i said if fcuk up.
    like 10 grand would pay off a chunk of my debt and still give enough money to go to OZ and try get a job for myself and with any luck might get 2 years work out there and so on and so forth.

i get it that everyones situation might be diff and as in old enough to get into OZ/Canada or whatever and that some might not be able to go for whatever reason like family or whatever.

lets say 5,000 people were to qualify for this opportunity it would cost the government 50million(give or take)surely the gov can afford this considering there is nearly 300,000 unemployed in the country as of march this year http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/health/2012/0313/1224313198081.html so lets say 300,000 people get 188 euro a week (again some get a bit more some get less i.e 18 yr olds etc) 3,000,000,000euro a year(cost of unemployment) give or take ,i think my maths might be right someone might double check as i said its just a rough estimate.:D

i think 50 million is a small price to pay to give some people hope.

just an idea folks what you think???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Pop corn time :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I don't think other Countries would want our unemployed just like we don't want theirs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

should the government give people the money to go to foreign countries to look for work for a year? lets say they give me a years worth of dole to do it: 188x 52= 9,976 euro. (we'll say 10,000 euro to keep it even;))that would mean id be outta their hair for a year and if i make a balls of it and come home after a month or two i cant claim dole for the year i was supposed to be gone.

like 10 grand would pay off a chunk of my debt and still give enough money to go to OZ and try get a job for myself and with any luck might get 2 years work out there and so on and so forth.

i get it that everyones situation might be diff and as in old enough to get into OZ/Canada or whatever and that some might not be able to go for whatever reason like family or whatever.

lets say 5,000 people were to qualify for this opportunity it would cost the government 50million(give or take)surely the gov can afford this considering there is nearly 300,000 unemployed in the country as of march this year http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/health/2012/0313/1224313198081.html so lets say 300,000 people get 188 euro a week (again some get a bit more some get less i.e 18 yr olds etc) 3,000,000,000euro a year(cost of unemployment) give or take ,i think my maths might be right someone might double check as i said its just a rough estimate.:D

NO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

I can see where you're coming from, but one thing to consider is that the money they're still paying you would now be going into another country's economy, not ours. Whereas if they're paying you the full amount of dole, at least you're likely to be spending the majority of it here in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Thought the title was some incentive for Worzel Gummidge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

eh, no.

At least most of that 10k you get for sitting at home while you look for a job goes back into the local economy and keeps other people off the dole

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

So you get 10k, spend it all on coke and hookers, then you'll call Joe Duffy giving out at your sky sports has been cancelled, your broadband is too slow, your half caf mochachino is a little cool, and oh, you can't feed your kids and you need more money.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Zero chance. The dole is (supposed to be) for basic subsistance. If you came back with nothing after 2 months what would you live on? How would you eat? How would you heat your house etc. You would be back to the community welfare officer looking for more. Regardless of how bad this country is I have yet to hear of anyone starving to death due to lack of funds.

In fairness it's not a bad idea... But being honest you'd think the government what get there fvcking ass together and sort out retraining so far it's a fvcking joke!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 731 ✭✭✭inmyday

Probably one of the most ridiculous ideas ever. I couldnt even be arsed to explain why it is so.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Snowie wrote: »
    In fairness it's not a bad idea... But being honest you'd think the government what get there fvcking ass together and sort out retraining so far it's a fvcking joke!

I am sure the Australians would have something to say about us shipping all our unemployed over there. Can you imagine if the (say) Croatian government did the same and suddenly there was 5,000 Croatians landing in Dublin airport??

sorry Croatia. First country I thought of as I was just reading about Luka Modric

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

The boat to Holyhead is only €40.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Snowie wrote: »

I am sure the Australians would have something to say about us shipping all our unemployed over there. Can you imagine if the (say) Croatian government did the same and suddenly there was 5,000 Croatians landing in Dublin airport??

sorry Croatia. First country I thought of as I was just reading about Luka Modric

If just shoot the plane down... Cleerly there not wanted :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

I like Croatians

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭larchielads

im not sayin we should ship our unemployed to another single country like some are sayin on here, but hey our unemployed are shipping themselves out to OZ/Canada nearly everyday without our governments help!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,464 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

You could continue to pay them the dole when they go abroad until they gain employment,if they don't get a job within a specified period they would be cut off.Like other posters don't know how other countries would like it,although there's not that many of us if we spread out,clumping is a problem aka Bondi Beach.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭gerbear1

I would imagine that most dole money gets spent in Ireland, rather than outside Ireland, so no I don't think they should do this.

gerbear1 wrote: »
    I would imagine that most dole money gets spent in Ireland, rather than outside Ireland, so no I don't think they should do this.

If they get work abroad they could well come back with more money than they were given to leave,plus they're not claiming when abroad.Win win.

gerbear1 wrote: »

just thought of that after i started the thread:o

but still nice to hear peoples thoughts/ideas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Anyone wrote: »
    The boat to Holyhead is only €40.

Rly? I thought they had put it up a bit recently.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭scholar007

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    I like Croatians

Yeah the eastern european burds are hot. They really look after themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Tweedle Dumb

oh and would you like a ghost estate house waiting for all these people upon their return?

A welcome home present to go with a farewell gift that hard working people would never get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

There is an allowance to go anywhere within the EU and still get the dole payment for 3 months.If you do not have a job within that timeframe, you are cut off until you come back home and meet with your local welfare officer as far as I am aware.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭BlueSmoker

I thought the maths was off by a zero, but no, it's spot on. :) As another poster said I can see where you are going with this, but it would be €50,000,000.00 we are putting into another country, also you have to understand this country, would have paid in some way to educate a lot of the 5,000 people you suggest may qualify, so it would be a lot higher than €50,000,000.00, by 3 or 4 times, that we could possibly see no return on.

But I do like the way you are thinking, at least you are thinking outside the box, and trying to come up with a solution, rather than just sitting there and typing

"NO, stupid idea"

Our country need more people with your attitude, Great thread OP ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭OMARS_COMING_

Steal the money,your leaving the country anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Be a bit like the movie scarface when Cuba freed all its prisoners and gave them free passage to USA,one way tickets.say helo to my little friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

We kinda do.

You can transfer three months of your Jobseekers Benefit abroad to any other EU member state.

I am sure the Australians would have something to say about us shipping all our unemployed over there.

Eh, are we not doing that already? The Australian WHV has really helped to massage the figures.

IrishAm wrote: »
    We kinda do.

You can transfer three months of your Jobseekers Benefit abroad to any other EU member state.

Some people might see cheap holiday.No wonder nobodys heard of it.

• Advertisement

kneemos wrote: »
    Some people might see cheap holiday.No wonder nobodys heard of it.
    In general, in order to receive unemployment benefits you need to stay in the country which pays your benefits. However, under certain conditions you can go to another EU country to look for work and continue to receive your unemployment benefits from the country where you became unemployed.

You can only do this if you are:

wholly unemployed (not partially or intermittently) and
    entitled to receive unemployment benefits in the country where you became unemployed.
    Before leaving, you must:

have been registered as an unemployed jobseeker with the employment services in the country where you became unemployed for at least 4 weeks (exceptions can be made)
    apply for a U2 form (former E 303 form) - authorisation to export your unemployment benefits - from your national employment services.

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/work/job-search/transferring-unemployment-benefits/index_en.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

In theory it sounds like a good idea but it will never work because of the amount of arseholes that we have in this country. They'd get the money and go on a holiday to Santa Ponsa or somewhere equally as exciting (not) and they'd blow the lot. Then they'd come back and cry poverty and because our social welfare system is so ludicrous they'd simply give them dole again no matter what was agreed before hand. I'd be for it if they were to give them 10k and send them out if the country, remove their passports and never allow them back, ever ever ever.

IrishAm wrote: »
    Eh, are we not doing that already? The Australian WHV has really helped to massage the figures.

yes but not sponsored by the state

I am sure the Australians would up the visa requirements for visiting if we did this.

Anyway there is no way on Earth the government is gonna give someone 10k to head off to Australia:D
    For a start if they do get work how does the govt get the excess back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

blackbelt wrote: »
    There is an allowance to go anywhere within the EU and still get the dole payment for 3 months.If you do not have a job within that timeframe, you are cut off until you come back home and meet with your local welfare officer as far as I am aware.

That makes sense because labour mobility is one of the cornerstones of the single market.

It's unfortunate that even if we haven't managed to eradicate our centuries-old tendency to emigrate, we're still emigrating to the same far flung destinations like Australia & North America, and not continental Europe where the effects of emigrating may not be quite so punishing.

I think moving to elsewhere in the EU for work ought to be encouraged. Efficient allocation of labour within the bloc is to our economic advantage, but sweeping emigration outside of the bloc is not something we ought to encourage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

later12 wrote: »
    That makes sense because labour mobility is one of the cornerstones of the single market.
    You won't be saying that when the Chinese decide to loose all their workers over here, prepared to do a better job for less pay! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭Evenstevens

It’s an interesting suggestion my only issue is the bit where you said “€10000 would pay off a chunk of my debt”. It’s your debt, not mine. I have no problem giving tax money to feed and clothe people who are unemployed. I have a problem when it is being used to pay off someone’s personal debt. That’s not the State’s or taxpayers responsibility.

• Advertisement

I think moving to elsewhere in the EU for work ought to be encouraged. Efficient allocation of labour within the bloc is to our economic advantage, but sweeping emigration outside of the bloc is not something we ought to encourage.

I agree completely however we must bear in mind our inadequate education on foreign languages makes the traditional destinations the only option for most. In many jobs a minimum level of competence would be required in the local language which a large part of Irish people don't have, even languages they studied

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

No, you will only come back early and start robbin' when you can't get dole anymore.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

inmyday wrote: »
    Probably one of the most ridiculous ideas ever. I couldnt even be arsed to explain why it is so.

If you're too fúckin lazy to bother explaining your remark, then don't bother wasting space on here.

At least have the decency and balls to back up what you say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

I agree completely however we must bear in mind our inadequate education on foreign languages makes the traditional destinations the only option for most. In many jobs a minimum level of competence would be required in the local language which a large part of Irish people don't have, even languages they studied
    I've often heard this being said, but I'm not convinced our education in foreign languages is very inadequate under the current leaving certificate system. The vast majority of students in my school studied a European language (they have to if they wish to matriculate) and there's always going to be a limit to one's ability to grasp a language when there are six other subjects to study at leaving certificate level.

All is not lost though! What about all the non German speaking Turkish immigrants in Berlin, or many Eastern EU citizens who joined the UK's and Ireland's labour forces after their states' accessions, using only very limited English.

I think we are a little guilty (if that is the word) of the Englishman's linguistic narcissism when we go abroad. We expect others to learn our language; but working abroad in low paid jobs while learning rudimentary German, for example, is not something that is easily countenanced. Even when no visas are required, and budget airlines make mobility so easy, many of us would still prefer to emigrate to Australia or North America.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

I think the goverment gives away enough money as it is, there is no gaureentee that if you move to another country like Australia you would get a job or meet the requirements to stay more than a holiday. It would be a rather foolish investment of throwing good money after bad, good example is the 2 Irish girls who overstayed their visa in Perth who were caught and detained in immigration detention until their deportation. They have to foot the bill for the detention and flights and if they can't the Irish tax payer foots the bill.

• Advertisement

The vast majority of students in my school studied a European language (they have to if they wish to matriculate) and there's always going to be a limit to one's ability to grasp a language when there are six other subjects to study at leaving certificate level.
    Ok it is a while since I did my leaving cert so have no clue what matriculate means. WRT 6 other subjects the Germans don't seem to have a problem learning English while studying other subjects. It is not unusual for a continental european to speak fluently 3 or 4 languages whereas and Irish person with a basic grasp of German is considered a linguistic genius
    All is not lost though! What about all the non German speaking Turkish immigrants in Berlin, or many Eastern EU citizens who joined the UK's and Ireland's labour forces after their states' accessions, using only very limited English.
    And this immigrant Turkish population is what resulted in Angela Merkel declaring the failure of integration in Germany. The Turks tend to stick together and work for other Turks similarly many of the Eastern Euros that came here tended to live within their community.
    I think we are a little guilty (if that is the word) of the Englishman's linguistic narcissism when we go abroad. We expect others to learn our language; but working abroad in low paid jobs while learning rudimentary German, for example, is not something that is easily countenanced. Even when no visas are required, and budget airlines make mobility so easy, many of us would still prefer to emigrate to Australia or North America.

Agree completely except not a 'little guilty' ALOT guilty

I find they understand you better if you SHOUT in English a little bit slower
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 67 ✭✭jan shyr

I couldn't be arsed to read through all the posts but did anyone mention family at all? But yes ridiculous idea to put it nicely without offending OP.

blackbelt wrote: »

Looked into this already it nearly takes the 3 months for your payment to come thru so from when u get to another eu country so that not gonna really work if your that dependant on your dole as it is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Even the suggestion of this makes me question the mentality of some people on the dole. Clear some of your debt!? Piss off!! Also why Australia? You need a lot of money in your account to just be eligible to get there, why not somewhere within Europe which you can go to without any fuss? You pick Australia so you can join the other eejits that are getting locked and trashing the place.

Also I'm all in with the sentiment that college and school here is subsidized by tax payer money. I've felt for a while that things needed to be re-structured so non Engineering, Science based courses should not get the subsidy. We don't need History or Psychology graduates right now, they aren't going to be the entrepreneurs who help put Ireland back together... but the suggestion that we then take these people who did these courses and hand them 10k to leave the country without ever even contributing back towards the money put into their education...jaysus

Advertisement