Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Team Ireland?

• 09-08-2012 9:24am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭

When did we become yanks and start calling ourselves Team Ireland?
    The whole mainstream media is using the term.
    Its still just the Irish Olympic team to me.
    Might take longer to say but it doesn't make me sound like a ****ty yank
    Go team USA

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Go team USA

Team Ireland sounds better than TEAM GB and Ireland.

what is the story with all this?

why are athletes from Northern Ireland part of the Ireland team when NI is part of the UK?

why do we team up with the Brits for the British lions but not other sports?
    is there a simple answer to any of this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

Fuinseog wrote: »
    There actually is.

WHO CARES!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Most sports in Ireland run united and as 1 so competitors qualify for Ireland, not for themselves, Paddy barnes and Conlon are Irish Champions and qualified representing Ireland, so it was Ireland that qualified.

There was some lad from the north who won a medal for britain in a sport that obviously does not run as 1 in Ireland.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

GO TEAM BOARDS! WOO **** YEAH!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

They are a team. They are Irish.

Hence the term team Ireland.

Jesus. H. Christ.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

why are athletes from Northern Ireland part of the Ireland team when NI is part of the UK?

Team GB is a markering brand it is really Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

As someone said different sports have different rules.

Rugby is an all island sport so there is just 1 Ireland team
    Boxing is an all island sport so if you are from Northern Ireland you will go under the Irish flag

Others sports its a really up to the individual person, like at the last Olympics there were 3 guys from the same rowing club in Coleraine, 2 went for GB and NI while one went to Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Hardonraging

For some reason i have this feeling it all started with Team Bressie .....

Where is he now .. i wonder ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

Michelstown i think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Can't remember hearing the term 'Team Ireland' at all tbh! Doesn't bother me if that's how they refer to them either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Fritzl Funderland

Go Team America!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

kfallon wrote: »
    Can't remember hearing the term 'Team Ireland' at all tbh!
    Its normally written in the following format:
    #teamireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Could've sworn he served me in Supermacs the other day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

That one is a complicated one and has to do with All Ireland sporting organisations which were often in existent prior to 1922 and also the unique way Northern Ireland people can be passport holders of both countries.
    The Olympic Council of Ireland claims to represent all of the island of Ireland
    The same is to be said for the IRFU.

Soccer is different in that there are two separate distinct bodies (FAI, IFA) like there are the Scottish, Welsh and English FAs.

The one time players from all these countries (Bar Rep of Ireland) can play together is in the Olympics as Team GB & Northern Ireland has no standing in FIFA.
    Due to the breakdown of amatuer versus professional for Olympics back in the 70s no team has represented any of the UK countries until this year when it was decided to do it since the games were in London.

The British and Irish lions are unique and only tour the Southern Hemisphere every 4 odd years, mainly as a money making racket.
    They are a throw back to the first tour in 1888 when a British Isles team toured the Southern Hemisphere (Oz and NZ).
    Actually the British Lions name only started being in the 1950s, although they had been referred to Lions as far back as 1920s, and it was changed to British and Irish Lions in 2001.

You aren't a disgruntled Aussie by any chance ?

Because some Aussie moron has been mouthing off about why Ireland (Rep of ...) doesn't join up with Britain/Uk for the Olympics.
    I guess the fact that some British person mentioned Yorkshire have more medals than the ever so up competitive Aussies must be peeing off a few back in Oz.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

If we'd all become Yanks we'd be Team USA surely?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Yes, the team is called the British AND IRISH Lions. I don't see how it is relevant though?

Perhaps you might ponder why the UK gets to field four international soccer teams and get back to us on that one.

There actually is.

WHO CARES!

??????????????

Boxing is an all island sport so if you are from Northern Ireland you will go under the Irish flag

Others sports its a really up to the individual person, like at the last Olympics there were 3 guys from the same rowing club in Coleraine, 2 went for GB and NI while one went to Ireland

i cannot understand how NI and ROI are united for rugby but not soccer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Because they are completely different sports with different operating bodies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

It's British and IRISH lions.

Team GB refers to the Island of Great Britain aka England, Scotland and Wales.

It's not about the United Kingdom. It's not called Team UK. That's why 13 N. Irish atheletes are on the Irish team.

What I want to know is why England is an individual team in World Cup football??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

It's British and IRISH lions.

Team GB refers to the Island of Great Britain aka England, Scotland and Wales.

From the Team gb website:

The British Olympic Association (BOA) is the National Olympic Committee (NOC) for Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
    It's not called Team UK.

It would be more accurate if it was. Although athletes from the Channel Islands and IOM would still not be represented by that name.
    That's why 13 N. Irish atheletes are on the Irish team.

And some are on Team GB also. The reasons for choice of team comes down to (in no particular order):

* The structure of the sport
    * Political allegiance of the athlete
    * Which team is easier to compete for in terms of location
    * Which team is easier to qualify for
    What I want to know is why England is an individual team in World Cup football??

Probably because the Football Association (in England) codified the rules that are the basis of the modern game. Scotland, Wales, and Ireland set up their own bodies, and that is why the (English) FA, the IFA, the SFA and the FAW are the only football associations who have a seat, in their own right, on the International Football Association Board which decides the rules of the game. FIFA has the other seat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

But, arnt we all just part of the British Isles? ;/)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

But, arnt we all just part of the British Isles? ;/)

Isn't that what the islands are still collectively known as. Sea charts for instance will often use the term.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭markie29

Go Team America!

**** yeah!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

Dunno, might have something to do with being a seperate country and that whole 800 years of oppression thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭kingtut

Ireland / UK same thing :cool: who cares :confused:

Joke!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

kingtut wrote: »
    Ireland / UK same thing :cool: who cares :confused:

I feckin well do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Isn't that what the islands are still collectively known as. Sea charts for instance will often use the term.

The dictionary definition of British Isles is that it is a geographical term that refers to the whole of Ireland and Great Britain as well as the surrounding islands. It is sometimes incorrectly used as if identical to the UK;I][URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Citation_needed"][COLOR=#0066cc]citation needed[/COLOR][/URL][/I or to refer to Great Britain and the surrounding islands, excluding the island of Ireland entirely.[36][37][38] The BBC and The Times have style guides that mandate the dictionary definition but occasional misuse can be found on their web sites.[39][40]
    The term British Isles can also be considered irritating or offensive by some[41] on the grounds that the modern association of the term British with the United Kingdom makes its application to Ireland inappropriate.
    The term British Isles can also be considered to imply a proprietary title on the entire archipelago.[42]
    The policy of the government of the Republic of Ireland is that no branch of government should use the term,[43] and although it is on occasion used in a geographical sense in Irish parliamentary debates, this is often done in a way that excludes the Republic of Ireland. In October 2006, The Times quoted a spokesman for the Irish Embassy in London as saying that they would discourage its use.[44]
    During a stop-over visit to the Republic of Ireland in 1989, the leader of the USSR, Mikhail Gorbachev, indicated that he assumed Ireland's head of state was Queen Elizabeth II, given that she was the British Queen and his officials said that Ireland was a part of the British Isles.[45]

:D;):p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 293 ✭✭0000879k

MURICA, **** YEAH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

I think Team Ireland came about to distract us from the demise of Ireland Inc.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭asherbassad

IrishAm wrote: »
    They are a team. They are Irish.

Hence the term team Ireland.

Jesus. H. Christ.

Since when do you put "Team" before the name or description of the team?

Where did that stupid permutation come from? America that's where because they have to dick around with the name or pronunciation of everything.

They are a team. They are an Olympic team. They are Irish.

They are therefore The Irish Olympic Team.

Do you say you're going to Croker to watch "team Dublin" versus "team Kilkenny" ?

Load of bollocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

realies wrote: »
    During a stop-over visit to the Republic of Ireland in 1989, the leader of the USSR, Mikhail Gorbachev, indicated that he assumed Ireland's head of state was Queen Elizabeth II, given that she was the British Queen and his officials said that Ireland was a part of the British Isles.[45]

:D;):p
    At least Gorby was sober enough to get off the plane, unlike another Russian leader I could mention who was so stepping-on-his-dick drunk that they had to let him get on with snoring it off while half the Irish cabinet waited on the termac.:D

Anyway, even the revered Gorby didn't always get it right. He was the last man they put in charge of the Soviet Union, and where is it now?:cool:

I can see why the media use the phrase "Team Ireland". It's kind of snappy and means what it says on the tin.:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

There used to be 1 organisation for both north and south, but then they split. As far as I can remember

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Go team USA

Stop acting like the bull mccabe and move with the times.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭saralou2011

markie29 wrote: »
    **** yeah!

Damm you beat me to it :D

Advertisement