Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

AIB -

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

Lukebray wrote: »
    I just want one of those new visa debit cards. It's been months since they told me they were in the process of sending them out!

*cough cough* I thought that the last time you went to pay in a shop with your laser card that there was a bit of a glitch and you ended up paying with cash but it was quite embarrassing for you? *cough cough* You then discovered a small crack on your card but you went to the ATM and it worked fine *cough cough* So, I thought you were afraid that the card would crack more when your heading off on a trip next week so you might need a new one or you could be fucked. Oh yeah, and you told me AIB could put a 14 day expiry on your current card from the day you order your new card so the transition from your old kinda little bit broken card to your new card will be seamless. *cough cough* And finally, you told me that AIB are only issuing their new cards as Visa Debit cards and it cost nothing. *cough cough*

That's really handy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,773 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Just on the banks computers. They are mostly written in a language called COBOL (linky). I did it a bit in college and was pretty handy, but the clever people there decided to stop it in 2nd year so I'm not earning millions now in some bank :(
    Anyway, they mainly all run on IBM systems called an AS400. So far, all pretty damn old.
    The funky new ATMs and internet banking and all that jazz is just a funky interface on top of the old system. As you do stuff in them, they communicate with the old system to complete your transaction. These systems do things serially (one at a time).
    You can probably still see the old systems in action in branches if ya get to see the tellers monitors. Usually its just green writing. Ya may have wondered why they are so old fashioned in appearance on screen, well now ya know.

All in all, these banking systems are pretty reliable. So as ya can imagine, banks are pretty reluctant to even touch them. Why fix whats not broken and all that jazz. The servers and things are probably more securely guarded than the money in the banks!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

*cough cough* I thought that the last time you went to pay in a shop with your laser card that there was a bit of a glitch and you ended up paying with cash but it was quite embarrassing for you? *cough cough* You then discovered a small crack on your card but you went to the ATM and it worked fine *cough cough* So, I thought you were afraid that the card would crack more when your heading off on a trip next week so you might need a new one or you could be fucked. Oh yeah, and you told me AIB could put a 14 day expiry on your current card from the day you order your new card so the transition from your old kinda little bit broken card to your new card will be seamless. *cough cough* And finally, you told me that AIB are only issuing their new cards as Visa Debit cards and it cost nothing. *cough cough*

That's really handy.
    There's no need for any of this, just ring AIB Card Services & request a VisaDebit Card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

There's no need for any of this, just ring AIB Card Services & request a VisaDebit Card.

:o

Advertisement