Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

will my Cuban cigars still be ok to smoke?

Options
  • 09-08-2012 10:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭

So, i bought a box of fine Cuban cigars back from Havana in July 09.

I've smoked a few since, but they're still in a box, stored in my kitchen cupboard (with bottles of liquor and such)

I'm just wondering can/will they go off that i can't even smoke them?

Info, they are Montecrito no 2 cigars
    Stored in the original wooden box i got when buying them.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Ghandee wrote: »
    I seriously doubt it. But they're not going to get any better, either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

BeerNut wrote: »
    I seriously doubt it. But they're not going to get any better, either.

Thanks for the reply.

Its just I've read about folk keeping cigars in humidifiers and what not before, so just checking up.

I think I'll puff on one this evening so!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

They will have dried out and are going to taste very bitter. You can re-humidify them but the oils that gave the cigars their flavour will have long since dissapated. Re-humidifying them will however make the draw better.

A google on re-humidifying cigars will produce a plethera of sites all saying roughly the same thing. The real key is to be patient. Rushing the re-humidification proscess can cause your cigar to swell and split. Re-humidifying can be done in a plastic lunchbox using damp tissue paper inside a plastic bag to keep the tissue from direct contact with the cigars. Start with tiny bit of moisture on the tissue. Over a period of weeks gradually increase the moisure level in the lunchbox.

If you know anyone with a proper humador then pop the cigars into that for a month or two instead. :)

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Thanks old goat!

rock on!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Or get something like a Humitube Set. A Humitube can be got for around €25

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

just out of curiosity. How did they go.

If they are stored in a humidor, the perfect place is around 68% - 72% humidity. I have a humidor and for the last couple of months have been floating around the 69% mark with no solution pack inside. There is enough humidity in the air to keep everything alive.

If its in the original box, there should be no issue as most have a cedar insert to help control the humidity.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

nanook wrote: »
    If its in the original box, there should be no issue as most have a cedar insert to help control the humidity.

Control it yes, but only if its maintained

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

The (Spanish) cedar wood is used more as a tobacco weevil deterant then for it moisture retaining qualities. The cedar cigar box will slow down the moisture loss but it's not a humidor.
    You can get a hygrometer for a few euro and some kitty litter in a jar/pot to hold the moisture. Put those into your cigar box and let it settle to a regular humidity - roughly 70%. When the level has settled then add your cigars and watch the guage on a regular basis adjusting as necessary.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

If you try to re hydrate "spent" cigars they'll never be as good as they should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

godtabh wrote: »
    If you try to re hydrate "spent" cigars they'll never be as good as they should be.

Never as good as new, true, but it will be better than if you do nothing.

If they start to soften with the addition of moisture make sure and leave them to climatise. Usually about 2-3 weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 279 ✭✭Pa Dee

Ghandee wrote: »
    So, i bought a box of fine Cuban cigars back from Havana in July 09.

I've smoked a few since, but they're still in a box, stored in my kitchen cupboard (with bottles of liquor and such)

Info, they are Montecrito no 2 cigars
    Stored in the original wooden box i got when buying them.

Thanks
    Hmmm I'd say you're in trouble. Shame

Advertisement