Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boyne and Liffey Flies

Options
  • 09-08-2012 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

Hi lads I was fishing the Boyne last night and I blanked. I tried a couple of wet flies until I saw some of the flies emerging and then tried some dries that resembled the bugs flying about.
    I had a few rises to a pale watery but nothing to write home about.
    There were others fishing the river who seemed to be catching with every 2nd cast. I asked them what they were using and they told me a small partridge... which I thought was a bit vague.

So my question is does anyone know the best flies to use on the Boyne or the Liffey at the moment and moving into late August?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭coolhandspan

Hi pedro, i blanked on my first visit or two,
    i changed to big wets, bibios and spiders size 12s fished across and down.
    had some great success after that.
    some people think bibios are daft but they really do work.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭pedro7

Thanks for the reply!
    I usually swear by bibios! They rarely let me down. I was trying flies I had read in guides and heard from guys that fish it. Everyone was saying to use tiny flies, personally I very rarely use flies smaller than a 12.

If the water clears at all in the next few days I'll head back and have another go.

Thanks for the tip mate!

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭fisherking

A small partridge and orange id say
    12 is slightly big try even 14s
    pedro7 wrote: »

Thanks for the reply!
    I usually swear by bibios! They rarely let me down. I was trying flies I had read in guides and heard from guys that fish it. Everyone was saying to use tiny flies, personally I very rarely use flies smaller than a 12.

If the water clears at all in the next few days I'll head back and have another go.

Thanks for the tip mate!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 268 ✭✭owelfisherman

i find its hard enough catching fish on the boyne

Advertisement