Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DNS-320 NAS Drive D-Link

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Sounds like you're reading it over DNLA(media streaming mode). The laptop is working purely as a networked drive. Can you write to it at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭iba

ED E wrote: »
    Sounds like you're reading it over DNLA(media streaming mode). The laptop is working purely as a networked drive. Can you write to it at all?

Ed E

Thanks 4 ur reply.

When I open up the NAS Drive from my Laptop I can create folders in it, if thats what you mean?

So is it possible to c these 3 folders from my laptop or what do i need to do?

Thanks

Iba

Those folders dont exist in the file system. They're just the way the DNLA server sorts out its media. You create any folders you like, copy the stuff over, then the server will sort it itself.

Those folders dont exist in the file system. They're just the way the DNLA server sorts out its media. You create any folders you like, copy the stuff over, then the server will sort it itself.

Hi Ed E,

So just for example, I have 10 music files on Laptop. Using the laptop, I create a Music Folder on the NAS Drive and copy these 10 Files into it. So then the PS3 or Smart TV will see these 10 Files in the Music Folder?

Actually do I even need t create a Folder or could I just transfer the 10 files onto the NAS?

Thanks

Iba

Yep. Its 1TB so I would sort it now rather than trying to organize it all later, at least as far as Images Movies Music if not further.

Depending on how good a DNLA server it is, it may take a little while for the files to appear to your devices, but it should be pretty quick.

• Advertisement

Yep. Its 1TB so I would sort it now rather than trying to organize it all later, at least as far as Images Movies Music if not further.

Depending on how good a DNLA server it is, it may take a little while for the files to appear to your devices, but it should be pretty quick.

Hi Ed

Its been a while but Im still stuck.

Been a while coz I bought another 3tb drive to go into the Nas along with the 1tb I already had, so I was waiting till that arrived before I did anymore work.

My problem is, I created 3 Movie folders on the NAS Drive using my laptop. Lets call them folder A, B & C. I can see these 3 folders on the NAS Drive on my laptop. But when the NAS Drive is connected to the TV via DLNA, I can only see folders A & B. I cannot understand why the NAS Drive is not showing folder C. Where has it gone?

Regards

Iba

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭hearny

I have the 323 but the setup should be similar:

I have it setup so that the UPnP server shares a folder called "Media" on the drive.

Using your laptop setup a folder called media on the root of your drive (Mine is called Volume_1)

Under "Advanced" go to "UPnP AV SERVER" maybe under DLNA Server on the 320.

Make sure the Server is enabled, if root is enabled untick it and click browse, select the folder that you just created and click ok so you should see the path like:
    Volume_1/Media
    listed below the browse text field.
    Click Save and then hit the refresh button.

Back on the laptop you can then create the folder structure you want in the media folder.

Just make sure once you create folders and add files you refresh the server, otherwise it may take a while to update the lists of files folders.

Having the Server use a specific folder instead of the root folder is a better option anyway as it will not have to go through and scan all of you other files when it is auto refreshing.

Hope all of that makes sense.

hearny wrote: »
    I have the 323 but the setup should be similar:

I have it setup so that the UPnP server shares a folder called "Media" on the drive.

Using your laptop setup a folder called media on the root of your drive (Mine is called Volume_1)

Under "Advanced" go to "UPnP AV SERVER" maybe under DLNA Server on the 320.

Make sure the Server is enabled, if root is enabled untick it and click browse, select the folder that you just created and click ok so you should see the path like:
    Volume_1/Media
    listed below the browse text field.
    Click Save and then hit the refresh button.

Back on the laptop you can then create the folder structure you want in the media folder.

Just make sure once you create folders and add files you refresh the server, otherwise it may take a while to update the lists of files folders.

Having the Server use a specific folder instead of the root folder is a better option anyway as it will not have to go through and scan all of you other files when it is auto refreshing.

Hope all of that makes sense.

Hi Hearny,

Thanks for your reply.

Not sure if i understand everything though :(

Working through step by step remembering I have 2 drives named W & X.

So on my laptop I have created a folder called Media on the W Drive.

I then go into the browser and go to UPnP. I see my two Drives called Volume 1 and Volume 2. UPnP is currently enabled on both. Are you saying that I should now press 'Disable'?

Thanks

How much media are you planning on having on the drive,

You dont really need it running on both.

Do you plan on having any other files on the drive at all or is it only for media.

It really comes down to what way you want to configure the drives.

You have 2 options really (without buying another 3 TB drive)

1) Have the 2 drives set up seperately as they are

2) Set the drives up as one big drive (will combine the 2 drive to give about 4TB)

Personally I would leave them as 2 drives, use the 3TB as the UPnP server for your media and the other drive I would use for network storage (laptop backups etc).

First find out which volume corresponds with which drive. You can see that under Status -> Device info, and it will be under the hard drive info section.

If you are happy to go with the 3TB for media go back to the UPnP settings page, click on the smaller volume (probably Volume_1) and click delete.

Repeat for Volume_2.

Make sure you have the folder Media (or something Similar setup via your laptop)

Click on Add -> select the folder mentioned above and click ok.

That should set it up on the one drive.

How much media are you planning on having on the drive,

You dont really need it running on both.

Do you plan on having any other files on the drive at all or is it only for media.

It really comes down to what way you want to configure the drives.

You have 2 options really (without buying another 3 TB drive)

1) Have the 2 drives set up seperately as they are

2) Set the drives up as one big drive (will combine the 2 drive to give about 4TB)

Personally I would leave them as 2 drives, use the 3TB as the UPnP server for your media and the other drive I would use for network storage (laptop backups etc).

First find out which volume corresponds with which drive. You can see that under Status -> Device info, and it will be under the hard drive info section.

If you are happy to go with the 3TB for media go back to the UPnP settings page, click on the smaller volume (probably Volume_1) and click delete.

Repeat for Volume_2.

Make sure you have the folder Media (or something Similar setup via your laptop)

Click on Add -> select the folder mentioned above and click ok.

That should set it up on the one drive.

Hearny,

1st thanks very much 4 ur reply and time and help.

My original plan was to put photos and music on the 1tb drive and movies and TV shows on the 3tb drive. At the moment I have about 1tb of both movies and TV shows ie 2tb in total

BTW I have at the moment, both drives set-up as 'standard' ie. not a raid config

Regards

Iba

• Advertisement

No problem,
    So you can follow a similar setup as described.

identify which drive letter is which volume,
    On the 1TB drive create a folder called photo.

On the 3TB drive create a folder called video.

Under UPnP delete the existing shares then click on add and select the new folders one at a time.

Save the settings and refresh the UPnP server.

Copy all of your video and photo files into place, as suggested earlier start as you mean to go on with the folders organised or it will be a lot of work to sort it.

Once you copy your media into place refresh the server again and you should be able to access them from your Smart TV / PS3.

Hope this sorts it for you.

Forgot to say copying the files from the laptop should be alot quicker if you do it with the laptop connected to the router using the LAN cable as its much faster than WIFI.

Also dont forget that the drives in the NAS are as likely to fail as any other hard drive so you still need to keep backups of important data.

Forgot to say copying the files from the laptop should be alot quicker if you do it with the laptop connected to the router using the LAN cable as its much faster than WIFI.

Also dont forget that the drives in the NAS are as likely to fail as any other hard drive so you still need to keep backups of important data.

Ok, Ive been working through what you have outlined and now I can see all my folders. Going back to the example I used at the beginning, I can now see folders A, B & C on the NAS. It seems to me that what I was doing wrong, was not clicking on the refresh button when in the UPnP server

But what is puzzling me is why could I see folders A & B without doing refresh?

Question - So everytime I add a file from now on to the NAS Drive eg to our new photo or video folder, I also need to go into the browser and refresh the UPnP server, is that correct?

Again thanks 4 all ur help, it really is much appreciated.

Regards

Iba

No problem,

The device will scan automatically and update the file list but I dont see an option to change the frequency at which its scanned.

If you want to see the files immediately you will need to refresh it, otherwise it will auto refresh every few hours.

I only refresh if Im watching a video file straight away.

Hi Again,

I did a factory reset coz I wanted to start from scratch and try to do what you were saying, but I think Ive made a bags of it.

Please see attached 4 more details.

As you can see I now I have 4 Folders which obviously is wrong, can you help please?

Thanks

Iba

Not too much to worry about there.

Your pc just has a couple of connections to the drive.

Make sure you know which letter is which, decide which of the duplicates you want to remove.

Make sure the ones you are not going to remove open ok (Just double Click on them).

On the PC in question:

If you Right click on "Computer" and click "Disconnect Network Drive"

Select the first drive you want to remove (You are only deleting the connection to the drive not the actual share) and click ok.

Repeat for other duplicate drive.

Go back into the upnp server settings like the previous posts and make sure the folders are on the correct volumes (i.e. large volume has Movies folder share)

Not too much to worry about there.

Your pc just has a couple of connections to the drive.

Make sure you know which letter is which, decide which of the duplicates you want to remove.

Make sure the ones you are not going to remove open ok (Just double Click on them).

On the PC in question:

If you Right click on "Computer" and click "Disconnect Network Drive"

Select the first drive you want to remove (You are only deleting the connection to the drive not the actual share) and click ok.

Repeat for other duplicate drive.

Go back into the upnp server settings like the previous posts and make sure the folders are on the correct volumes (i.e. large volume has Movies folder share)

Hi Hearny,

Thanks for your time and help again.

Glad to hear that there is not 'too much to worry about there' although I have to say that Im struggling with this :(

Will have a go when I get home, in work now.

Thanks

Iba

Hi again,

So I unmapped 2 folders and my Computer looks like attachment 1 now. Is this right?

Attachment 2 shows my network drive with 2 new Dlink icons in there which when clicked on opens up Windows Media player.

When I click on Movies & TV Show Drive I get - see attachemnt 3 - is this right? Do I need this AjaxPF folder or can I delete?

So then I went into UPnP Server and I dont really know what to do here - attachment 4

Iba

attachment 3

attachment 4

• Advertisement

That looks ok,

If you are going to delete the Ajaxpf folder just copy it onto your pc before deleting just incase something goes wrong.

The recycle bin can be turned off - http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=42071.0
    but its handy incase you delete something by mistake.

Thanks 4 ur help Hearny,

Was trying to transffer files to the NAS but when I connect my Laptop to the NAS with a Ethernet cable, my laptop does not see the drive at all.

Regards

Iba

No problem,

The device will scan automatically and update the file list but I dont see an option to change the frequency at which its scanned.

If you want to see the files immediately you will need to refresh it, otherwise it will auto refresh every few hours.

I only refresh if Im watching a video file straight away.

Hi Hearny,

Happy New Year to you.

You mention above that the drive automatically refreshes every few hours but if you want to watch a video file straight away you do a manual refresh.

When I do this (which I am doing through my browser - is that right) it goes through the whole drive and takes a few hours so its not possible for me to just add a new video file to the drive, click refresh and then watch the file.

How can I do it so I can watch the file straight away please?

Thanks

Iba

Many Happy Returns,

I only had the DNS-323 (I actually switched it for a netgear) but if I went into the Upnp section using the browser hitting refresh took about a minute or so.

I will see if I can dig up any info about it and post back here for you.

Sorry to have to bring this thread up again, but I just got the new UPC Router Technicolor TC7200 (coz I upgraded to 50mb broadband).

So I ran the set up wizard on my laptop but it is not finding the NAS. I pushed in the reset button at the back of the drive and laptop still did not find the drive.

So I dont know what to do, any suggestions please?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

Check the DHCP list on your router to see if it is giving the NAS an IP address.

davo2001 wrote: »
    Check the DHCP list on your router to see if it is giving the NAS an IP address.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

Previously it was not assigning an address, but I just tried it now and it has.

Strange - but lets see what happens

Advertisement