Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting a Tux

Options
  • 09-08-2012 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi All,

Where would people recommend renting a tux in Cork city? Going to a black tie wedding at the end of the month. Want to look respectable but dont have a whole lot of money to spend.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭blindsider

Black Tie at Patrick's Bridge (opp Merchant's Quay) and Murphy's at the other end of Pana (opp Boots) are popular. Also try the place (name?) beside the Roundy (Queen's Old Castle).

As a long shot, try looking for a black suit in M&S - you'll also need a decent white shirt, ideally with a covered placket (the shirt buttons are hidden), but this is optional. You should be able to buy a plain dickie-bow (colour to match her dress?).

IMO - don't wear cuff-links unless you have a double-cuff shirt.

http://www.marksandspencer.ie/Machine-Washable-2-Button-Plain-Suit/Set_D00W5031,en_IE,pd.html?start=7&cgid=1012591

€80 isn't bad - I don't know how much rental is, but you'd get suit, shirt and bow for €120, and you own the suit.

Don't catch the bouquet!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

totoro_kid wrote: »
    Hi All,

Where would people recommend renting a tux in Cork city? Going to a black tie wedding at the end of the month. Want to look respectable but dont have a whole lot of money to spend.

Thanks!

You need Morleys on the Grand Parade, good and reasonably priced.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

blindsider wrote: »
    You should be able to buy a plain dickie-bow (colour to match her dress?)

If one is asked to a black-tie event, it is disrespectful and dreadfully rude, to wear a tie of any other colour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

I was hoping this thread would be about renting a Linux penguin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭blindsider

evilivor wrote: »
    If one is asked to a black-tie event, it is disrespectful and dreadfully rude, to wear a tie of any other colour.

Don't claim to be an expert, but weddings are different aren't they? Been to a few weddings where it was positively encouraged.

A formal 'black-tie' ball is, of course, different and black is de rigeur.

I once tried to explain the difference between black-tie and white-tie to a colleague. He didn't take my advice and was refused entry to an event in London. Luckily he was close to Oxford St and managed to dash to a shop just in time.....lucky boy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Remember to deduct the price of the suit rental from the present. Can't understand people who force that extra expense on people to attend their wedding especially in these times.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 totoro_kid

Thanks everybody! I went to black tie in the end. Not too expensive so all good. Roll on the fun.

Advertisement