Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killarney Lakes Swimming

Options
  • 09-08-2012 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

hey guys, long shot, but I've noticed a lack of use of the lakes for swimming or sports. Does anyone know why? I googled it and found some stuff about leeches but doesn't seem that drastic. I also heard something about some type of dangerous eel? might have been complete rubbish.
    I have a windsurfer and was thinking about bringing it down, I would hesitate because the mountains would make some crazy wind but if I did I would be allowed to right?

Thanks

Comments

Think you may have to speak to a Park Ranger about bringing a windsurfer out there. They are strict about bringing new craft onto the Lakes because of what they may pick up and what might be brought into the ecosystem. Not sure I have ever heard an issue with swimming, but imagine they would be muddy/stony and cold and the sea isn't that far away. Often see peope swimming around the Torc and Muckross areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭68Murph68

Havent really heard about anything but I'd imagine that the lack of wind as well as the cold water would be a major issue.

I would have thought you would be massively struggling to get enough wind to wind-surf on any of the lakes.

I'd say give the Killarney National Park a shout - the park rangers would know about bringing different craft on to the lake

Anytime I've heard of windsurfing in Kerry it's always been in the sea.
    Know some lads who used to go to Castlegregory which is about 30-35 miles from Killarney. I would imagine

I do know there are fishermen, the tourist boats and kayaks who use the lake.

There was a charity swim on Christmas Day last year or the year back in Muckross so I don't think its forbidden to swim in the lake or anything. I did hear the bottom is very stony.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Hi

This is from the National Park Website

Boating - There are no permits available for private boating as the numbers are capped at their present level. A lottery is held each year and 20 names are drawn from the waiting list. This allows those who have had their names drawn to place a boat on the lakes for a single period of twelve months.

Canoeing - Permits are available at the Ranger Base on N71 approx 200 metres on Killarney side of motor entrance to Muckross House and Gardens - Tel: 064-6635215 - Email killarneynp@environ.ie - all canoes coming from outside of Killarney must be power washed and certified with a receipt from a local filling station. Power washing is necessary to prevent the introduction of alien species such as zebra mussels and various pond weeds into the waters of the National Park.There is no charge for the permit.

As for swimming , there used to be a man made beach at Dundag (spelling ?? ) near Muckross and my wife's family nearly all learnt to swim there .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

When I was a kid, I remember my dad renting out windsurfing gear at dundag.

There is a bit of swimming done at the lakes, mostly in the middle lake though. Every so often you see warning advising people not to swim in the lower lake due to blue green alge (It seems seasonal though).

Advertisement