Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Damien Dempsey - Almighty Love

Options
  • 09-08-2012 12:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭

We are incredibly excited and proud to announce that Damien's new album will be entitled ALMIGHTY LOVE.

Almighty Love will be released in Ireland on 28th September and the UK and Australia on 1st October and we will announce the tracklisting on Friday! Fans can pre-order the album from Monday 13th August and you will be able to hear the first track from the album next week on Today FM.
    315463_10151151850203524_78864214_n.jpg

Finally! :D
    Cannot wait for this album. Especially looking forward to hearing "Chris and Stevie"

Anyone else looking forward to it? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

yes, it's about time, it's been many years since the last albums with his own material.

I checked the tour dates, unfortunately I won't be able to see him this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭WhyGoBald

I was at the National Concert Hall last month, and it was a good gig, but (and I realise I may be slaughtered by hardcore Damo fans) I wasn't mad about the new songs. They were self-consciously anthemic and a bit hackneyed - at least that was my impression of them at the time. Maybe they'll sound better on the CD, although his songs usually sound better in concert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

I find his sensitive hardman and uber dub schtick a bit grating

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭WhyGoBald

He is at risk of becoming a bit of a caricature of himself. 'Spraypaint Backalley' and 'Colony' are just excellent songs no matter who wrote them, but I think he might be overegging the pudding at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Anyone get the new album yet?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭neil_18_

Ye I love it. So far Bustin Outta Here is my favourite!
    The music on the album is great, fantastic production

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭DeltaWhite

I love it - Bustin outta here totally applies to this sh*thole country at the moment, in my opinion!

I have yet to be disappointed by Damo, every album just has me hooked. He is my hero of all time and love how just listening to his songs makes my day better - even my darkest days :)

Well done Damo, keep it up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

Picked a copy up today, shall be playing it later!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

Only listened to it a couple of times and so far so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭MeIsGod

Just picked this album up today and its very good, well worth a listen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,692 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Sorry, he never did it for me. Can't take to him at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

Loving it I have to say. Would be very familiar with Community and Chris and Stevie already and thought they were great songs.

Of the new ones I love Canadian Geese. Reckon it will be a real Damo classic. A bit of a combination of the vibe of Factories and Beside the sea - if you can imagine that.....

And You're the cure combines something like a love song with pain and hope and strength etc etc. To all the committed fans - especially the ladies - it probably sounds like he is singing it to them "You're the cure, for everything that hurts me. You're the cure. My pain dies when you smile. Lost for words the closer you come to me, like a bird my heart soars free and wild" Think that about sums up what Damo's music means to a lot of the converted :);)

Some great backing vocals from Sinead O'Connor which work really well. To the uninitiated I reckon it is a bit more accessible than some of his other stuff and I could see it doing pretty well.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Sorry, he never did it for me. Can't take to him at all.

Then why are you commenting here??? Doesnt make sense to me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,692 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Cos I am giving my opinion of a music artist on an internet forum, thats why.

There are other posts above mine that basically say they don't like him either, so go attack them too.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Cos I am giving my opinion of a music artist on an internet forum, thats why.

There are other posts above mine that basically say they don't like him either, so go attack them too.

No yours was just a bit pointless IMO... and I did not attack you either..

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭horslips

Anyone else order a signed copy from his website?

It was to be delivered on the day of release but I am still waiting for my copy nearly 2 weeks later.

Number 3 in the charts. Not bad considering he was up against Muse and Mumford and Sons!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

51xCamwcsXL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Almighty Love is the Donaghmede man's first set of new songs in five years and it marks a real advance in songwriting and singing. Guests incliude Sinéad O'Connor and London poet Kate Tempest and the album was produced by long-term collaborator John Reynolds.
    It finds Dempsey in a more restrainted and reflective mood on songs like Chris and Stevie, a mediatation on two childhood friends, and Canadian Geese but the old fire is also there on Moneyman and Born Without Hate.
    "I wanted this album to sound elss like the headlines from the news and offer more solutions," says Dempsey.
    As for that striking cover art, he says: "I'm like a scarecrow in a salmon farm."

Track Listing

1. Intro 1:14

2. Almighty Love 3:48

3. Chris and Stevie 5:58

4. Born Without Hate 5:57

5. Bustin Outta Here 5:41

6. Fire in the Glen 4:47

7. Canadian Geese 4:55

8. The Good and the Great 6:46

9. Community 5:51

10. Money Man 5:26

11. You're the Cure 12:15

It's brilliant

WhyGoBald wrote: »
    I was at the National Concert Hall last month, and it was a good gig, but (and I realise I may be slaughtered by hardcore Damo fans) I wasn't mad about the new songs. They were self-consciously anthemic and a bit hackneyed - at least that was my impression of them at the time. Maybe they'll sound better on the CD, although his songs usually sound better in concert.

Have you changed your mind since you bought the record? I think it's an amazing album, lyrically superb and musically brilliant.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Still can't take to him yet, ironically the only song that I love that he does is the West's Awake and he nails that v well. But maybe its the "Give up your auld sins" slant of his on his songs that hasn't grown on me yet.

Will definitely listen to his album and see what he brings out.

• Advertisement

yop wrote: »
    Still can't take to him yet, ironically the only song that I love that he does is the West's Awake and he nails that v well. But maybe its the "Give up your auld sins" slant of his on his songs that hasn't grown on me yet.

Will definitely listen to his album and see what he brings out.

For a person that can't take to him I'd be very interested to hear what you think of Almighty Love as for me it's probably his most accessible record yet.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

vicwatson wrote: »
    For a person that can't take to him I'd be very interested to hear what you think of Almighty Love as for me it's probably his most accessible record yet.

Thats the plan :D

vicwatson wrote: »

Was going to say the same myself. He's lost the "hard man" persona on this album that people take from his previous albums.

Think this could be the album that he gains a lot of new fans from!

I see it got 5 stars from The Mail. Good stuff

New York, New York, Damo rules,

Advertisement