Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sending item by freepost to Northern Ireland

Options
  • 09-08-2012 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭

I purchased a top from oneills sportswear in Northern Ireland for my father. Its the wrong size and I e-mailed them and they said send it back to their freepost address in Belfast. I hope its not a stupid question but would this freepost only apply if you live in the UK or could I send it from the Republic of Ireland to Belfast and not have to pay the postage costs?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

I believe An Post and Royal Mail have reciprocal freepost agreements.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

Years ago, I head to send something to Ulster Bank in Belfast, and they gave me their Freepost address. I then asked "will this work from the Republic" and they said no, and gave me a different address, which included the words "Réponse Payee Grande-Bretagne". (you can't just stick that on any address, however)

Now things might have changed (or maybe the Ulster Bank gave me wrong info).

Maybe phone your local post office to ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

According to An Post, a UK Freepost address does not apply here nor vica versa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

According to An Post, a UK Freepost address does not apply here nor vica versa.

But NI could be different. It is treated as domestic post when posted in the south. Therefore quite possibly (you would need to check with an post) a NI free post address is allowable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

sandin wrote: »
    But NI could be different. It is treated as domestic post when posted in the south. Therefore quite possibly (you would need to check with an post) a NI free post address is allowable.

As I said, An Post advise that UK Freepost does not work here. This includes NI. Freepost is paid by the licencee to An Post if Irish and Royal Mail if UK/NI. An Post tell me that they will not deliver UK paid Freepost envelopes outward as they are simply getting no revenue from it. I can't say I blame them.

Per their terms "The Business Response Services (incl Freepost) will operate within the Republic of Ireland only. "

And I certainly agree the OP could find out by simply contacting An Post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭billyhead

As I said, An Post advise that UK Freepost does not work here. This includes NI. Freepost is paid by the licencee to An Post if Irish and Royal Mail if UK/NI. An Post tell me that they will not deliver UK paid Freepost envelopes outward as they are simply getting no revenue from it. I can't say I blame them.

Per their terms "The Business Response Services (incl Freepost) will operate within the Republic of Ireland only. "

And I certainly agree the OP could find out by simply contacting An Post.

I dropped the parcel into the PO and asked the teller who said that freepost applies to Northern Ireland post because its on the same mainland but not if sedning it to Britain so it should be okay:cool:

Advertisement