Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[EVENT] Olympics - Women's 10KM OW Swim 09/08/12

Options
  • 09-08-2012 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭

Seriously impressed with the pace these girls are able to maintain for 10km.

One of my young TV buddies is alarmed that I could "waste 2 hours of my life" watching OW swimming - kinda hooked on it, though....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Izoard wrote: »
    Seriously impressed with the pace these girls are able to maintain for 10km.

One of my young TV buddies is alarmed that I could "waste 2 hours of my life" watching OW swimming - kinda hooked on it, though....

Regarding pace, from the BBC:
    If you want to test yourself against these Olympians next time you're down your local pool, they're swimming each 100m in around 70 seconds. Try doing four lengths in that time, then imagine doing it a further 100 times.

Into the second half of the race at this stage, fascinated by it, http://www.eurovisionsports.tv/london2012/index.html feed number 2.

Some amazing slo-mo shots of the swimmers grabbing fluids during their swim. I'll never again have sympathy for marathon runners whinging about having to drink from cups!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Has this always been an olympic event? Only noticed it myself this time round when checking the schedules.

What a finish! After 10k in the Serpentine, less than half a body length separated first and second. Well done the Hungarian girl for winning from the front.

Winning time 1:57:38 :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Some amazing slo-mo shots of the swimmers grabbing fluids during their swim. I'll never again have sympathy for marathon runners whinging about having to drink from cups!

If ever there was a requirement for a squeezy bottle...crazy going with the cups...

Has this always been an olympic event? Only noticed it myself this time round when checking the schedules.

Was introduced in 2008, AFAIK...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

What a finish! After 10k in the Serpentine, less than half a body length separated first and second. Well done the Hungarian girl for winning from the front.

Winning time 1:57:38 :eek:

Yeah, fair play to her - felt sorry for KAP...she was a bit of a poster girl for the GB swimmers - 4th must be heartbreaking...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Grab, roll into single handed backstroke.. drink and continue without even slowing :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

Awesome event. Thought the winner went off too early but she held on really well.

Not an event for those persons who can't drink from cups so that rules out some triathletes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Zuppy

And in open water swimming terms ten km is an ok distance. A bit shortish. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

I remember the first time I saw the pace from a 10k, it really reset any ideas I had that I'd finally started to get the hang of swimming, I still cant hit their pace for a 100m sprint :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement