Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

30-06 or .308?

Options
  • 09-08-2012 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭

Hello all, a friend of mine is looking to get a deer caliber and was wondering what caliber he should get. I didn't quite know the differences so said i'd ask here. Why would ye chose either one and pros and cons of it. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

For deer here only? .308, all day every day. No need to go heavier than 150gr bullets, it had less recoil and muzzle blast, better ammo availability and slightly cheaper to feed too. If he also had future thoughts about say wild boar in Europe or plains game in Africa on any regular basis? .30-06. The .308 is very nearly as good, and for a once-off boar or plains game trip, I'd have no problem shooting 180gr bullets in a .308, but the .30-06 will launch them faster, and in that weight class, has an advantage over the .308 which it doesn't really have in 150gr bullets. Personally I'd go .308 anyway, and if down the line he's uncomfortable taking it abroad, can always buy something else in the .300 to .375 class and still have a stonking deer round for here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Tikkat3

For deer here only? .308, all day every day. No need to go heavier than 150gr bullets, it had less recoil and muzzle blast, better ammo availability and slightly cheaper to feed too. If he also had future thoughts about say wild boar in Europe or plains game in Africa on any regular basis? .30-06. The .308 is very nearly as good, and for a once-off boar or plains game trip, I'd have no problem shooting 180gr bullets in a .308, but the .30-06 will launch them faster, and in that weight class, has an advantage over the .308 which it doesn't really have in 150gr bullets. Personally I'd go .308 anyway, and if down the line he's uncomfortable taking it abroad, can always buy something else in the .300 to .375 class and still have a stonking deer round for here.

All the above :)

And if he did want to shoot abroad, most hunt organizers will allow you to rent a rifle as well so the .308 would be a better long term investment for Irish deer shooting. IWM has pretty much defined all the pro's and cons in a tidy paragraph

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

+1 above

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

As above. 308.

Having owned and shot both i found the .308 to be the most practicable for, well, everything.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Erk wrote: »
    Hello all, a friend of mine is looking to get a deer caliber and was wondering what caliber he should get. I didn't quite know the differences so said i'd ask here. Why would ye chose either one and pros and cons of it. Thanks!

Fundamentally, the 308 is a short action and the 30-06 is long.

Both use the same bullet. Kind of like the 38 special and the 357 magnum use the same bullet.

The 30-06 can pack more powder in it's casing so you'll be able to accelerate more massive bullets like 180 and 220gr. I shoot the 180gr in Ireland and have never had a runner. The 150gr would do the job easily as well.

I have heard that the 308 can push lighter bullets (150/165) faster than the 30-06.

The 308 has a shorter throw, thus, cycling time should be quicker on follow up shots.

Muzzle velocities are trickier. Both are capable of more than you need in Ireland.

In the States, I would go with the 30-06. It is of course, called the American round for a reason. I have several 30-06's and just picked up the 308.

In Ireland, I have a Rem 700 in 30-06, however, I do not shoot it much. Whenever I am home I always bring back my quota of Superformance. In the States, I shoot the Rem green box for practice.

If I were you, I would choose on price, selection, and availability. From the lads on the board, that implies the 308 is your choice.

If your friend has not shot a lot and wishes to shoot to their heart's content, choose the cheaper round.

If your friend has shot a lot and has the technique down, I would choose the 30-06.

Actually, if I were to bring back my rifle again, I think I would go with 7mm Rem Mag. But that's for another thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Erk

Thanks for all the replies. Only reason he was contemplating the 30-06 was that it is a Sako new model and its a nice gun. Thanks again!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

The ammo choice is what wins it for me everytime.

I know not everyone likes, enjoys, or even does target shooting, but whether it's competitive or informal the .308 has a better selection of ammo, and cheaper than the 30-06.

I would not buy a gun based on what i might do i buy it based on what i intend to do. A friend goes out 2-3 times a year to shoot abroad. He brought his gun the first trip, but now travels without, and the trip includes the use of a gun when out there. He saves a packet on shipping, ammo, etc. and has none of the headache of "watching" after his gun.

Plus the ,308 always sells well. Even if only trading a dealer would be more inclined to take back in a .308 or give a better deal.

The 30-06 i had was a good gun (Sauer 202 Elegance). She was fussy enough for ammo so with a smaller selection she still would not shoot some brands or weights. I'm sure the Sako is a 1:9 or 1:8 (the Sauer was 1:9) so she might be the same. Also after 2-3 shots the lighter barrel on these models heats up quick, and causes the POI to climb. Everyone i know with a Sauer (i know it's not a Sako) had the same issue. After shot 3 you had vertical, and to the right POI shift.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

308, less kick, does everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Chiparus wrote: »
    308, less kick, does everything.

Yep.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

.308.You can scrounge up ammo for it just about everywhere.About as universal a calibre as .22lr ,12 ga or 9mm.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

I had a .308 , loved it , great calibre , but if i was shooting wild boar abroad i'd step up to the '06.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭EWQuinn

http://home.earthlink.net/~manzanovalph/Compared30Calibers.pdf

I found this comparison informative and reflective of the difference in calibers. .30-06 is more "capable" in terms of velocity and terminal performance, but mainly comes into meaningful advantage at 180 gr bullet weight and up.

For most applications in Ireland and North America not significant unless you are going for really large game (like say elk or moose), or are willing to pay the extra $$ to squeeze that little bit of extra performance.

Note to Moderator regarding Irish copyright law, understood thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Robotack

Hey Erk, is he new to shooting "large" rifles?

Would the likes of a .243 be more practical in Ireland. For everything from foxing to stalking. It's a far flatter shooter than a .308 and if he's new to shooting it'll mean far less hold-over at longer ranges etc... Just a suggestion.

Advertisement