Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pubs in Galway closing at 1am

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 lovefestguy

Storm 10 wrote: »
    I was in the UK a few months ago and every pub I went into it closed at 11pm how come they dont "Lose Jobs" Lose vIsitors"

THe whole thing is scare mongering

Simply put less hours = less jobs, hopefully that explains it for you.
    In regards to the UK these jobs do not exist.

cgpg5 wrote: »
    What's the story with late bars on friday/sat. Do the likes of Buskers, Front Door stay open till 2 still on these nights? Cheers

Yes they will still be open till 2 Friday and Saturday, this only effects Sunday to Thursday. For details see my previous post which contains links to the law as it effects late exemptions and the current district ruling circa 2000 by Judge Garavan.

How in Gods name do we live in a ''Democracy'' when one little weasel can determine by his own reasoning how long pubs/clubs should be allowed to stay open.

I think people are getting ahead of themselves in relation to college students, for starters this won't be widely known outside of the city. Then you have the fact that the places were already applied for.
    The only students who would refuse a college offer here on that basis isn't going to get very far in life(or college) and there will be plenty of students further down the pecking order happy to take their places.

Now if for some strange reason this was to linger on until next year, then maybe when filling out the CAOs the pull of Galway will be less popular(but by no means under applied) but it's not going to effect the college placing this year.

How in Gods name do we live in a ''Democracy'' when one little weasel can determine by his own reasoning how long pubs/clubs should be allowed to stay open.

I think people are getting ahead of themselves in relation to college students, for starters this won't be widely known outside of the city. Then you have the fact that the places were already applied for.
    The only students who would refuse a college offer here on that basis isn't going to get very far in life(or college) and there will be plenty of students further down the pecking order happy to take their places.

Now if for some strange reason this was to linger on until next year, then maybe when filling out the CAOs the pull of Galway will be less popular(but by no means under applied) but it's not going to effect the college placing this year.

I was talking about the long term as my reply was to someone talking about in the long run this will be a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Thank you very much for that great link to The Examiner archive lovefestguy.
    Judge John Garavan said respectable young men had confided in him that the type of girls they met in Galway’s nightclubs were dreadful, before refusing to extend late night opening hours for a number of Galway nightclubs under the new legislation.

“If people want a night out let them go out on time. Why wait until 12.30am. It’s uncivilised. A lot of respectable people would not go out or stay out late.

“Let’s face it, it’s attracting the wrong sort of people. I hear from respectable young men that they can’t meet nice, respectable girls in these nightclubs. “The girls they meet there are dreadful, at least that is what I am told,” the Judge said.

“What about the ordinary, respectable citizens of Galway. They are concerned about the hooliganism that goes on in the streets of Galway at the weekends. Do you want it every night of the week now? “Takeaways are open now to all hours. There is drink and mayhem on the streets. Not a weekend goes by but Supermacs’s window is broken. If people want a night out let them go out at a respectable hour.

“Of course, if the truth be known you won’t find respectable people out at all hours. It’s uncivilised and a lot of them just won’t go out,” he said.

http://archives.tcm.ie/irishexaminer/2000/07/25/current/ipage_35.htm

Judge Garavan’s illogical rant sounds like something from Father Ted, a John B. Keane play or a newspaper court report from the 19th century. And it looks as if the ‘respectable young men’ who could not pull in nightclubs, but who could whisper in the judge’s ear, are ultimately responsible for the sorry state we are now in. :rolleyes:

That illogical rant combined with the saber rattling of an airhead new garda superintendent has put Galway on the same slippery slope that buried Salthill nightlife 20 years ago. At least the superintendent who was in the job before her had the ‘cop-on’ to realise that Galway depends on tourism for a substantial portion of it’s wealth.

Soooo…let's make the place poorer... let’s lose Galway’s hard won reputation as the best place to visit in Ireland for a great night out… let’s lose jobs in the hospitality trade right in the middle of a recession…let’s turn the city into a sleepy backwater where very few go out at night…
    so that the new superintendent can massage her ‘drunk and disorderly’ statistics downwards.

You could not make it up !!!

:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

aido179 wrote: »
    Time to buy a winese.

Sure the thrill is gone with all this 'easy access' late night dhrinking.
    I think the younger folk have missed out on the days when *half the buzz* was going on 'the hunt' for a late pint on a special occasion. Days of furtive secret knocks and side doors. Dare I mention dyed pink fingers following a very late food establishment.

*gets coat and zimmer frame* :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

She's not a new Superintendent. She's been here over a year and before that she was Superintendent in Tuam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭bazingaboom

I live in Cork and it is certainly widely known about all over the country, thanks of course to facebook.

I know a LOT of students pick Galway because of the nightlife, a lot of degrees like commerce, general science or engineering could be done in any college in the country but Galway is reknown for having a fantastic social life and thats why many people choose it.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭michaelr666

"I hear from respectable young men that they can’t meet nice, respectable girls in these nightclubs. “The girls they meet there are dreadful, at least that is what I am told."

For the record I have met many many nice girls in nightclubs, ridiculous quote

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

snubbleste wrote: »
    She's not a new Superintendent. She's been here over a year and before that she was Superintendent in Tuam.

so she wants a promotion so...

same thing happened in salthill, super wanted a promotion so got strict.

Unfortunately the damage had been done and salthill never recorded.

• Advertisement

That makes no sense, the previous superintendent was promoted to chief super in mayo and he did not bother enforcing the licencing legislation.

That makes no sense, the previous superintendent was promoted to chief super in mayo and he did not bother enforcing the licencing legislation.

read between the lines...

new chief super in galway was brought in from the drugs squad.
    http://www.galwaynews.ie/24164-new-chief-superintendent-galway-garda-division

If i was the super in Tuam i would be pretty annoyed if i was overlooked and transfered sideways...

especially if the workload in Galway city is alot more then Tuam.

So the new chief super is enforcing the existing legislation on the control of drugs (alcohol) ?

So the new chief super is enforcing the existing legislation on the control of drugs (alcohol) ?

No man, the Drug squad is a seperate division within the gaurds. iirc They are outside the divisional set up.

In the good auld days you would get promoted up thru your division. For instance the next step for the Tuam super would be divisional chief etc.

In a cost saving exercise HQ in dublin just moved people around and gave out a few promotions. The new chief for galway was based in Dublin before this. So naturally it would be safe to assume some in Galway are annoyed.

Remember all appointments made to high office in the Gardai and courts are all politically sanctioned.

Moral in the Gaurds is at an all time low. A thankless job the majority of times is now worse with terrible working environments, cars falling apart, station closures and lack of overtime.
    They cant go on strike so the only way to hit back at the establishment is to kick up some fuss. And whats the easiest way, annoy joe public.

Anyways the Gardai for whatever reason you believe have decided to enforce the law.
    The only way to change the law is to hassle your local councillor or the TD's you elected last year, remember them?! The likes of Derek Nolan, Sean Kyne all completely invisible/absent since the election.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 joebloggs1981

well what I can see is that publicity like this will do more harm to Galway then any pub closing. the points being made are awful. students wont come to Galway to study in our colleges because its not an anti social city?? amm maybe we don't want them type students anyway. ie rag week 2012. i m sure other students will take them courses and spend there money in better ways. Tourists will still come to Galway but now they can walk the streets Monday to Thursday without little country students left out without mammy for the first time. the weekend still wont be affected. anyways any pub can stay open till 2 Monday to Thursday one they have an exemption which is very easy to get. why arnt they getting them because the students that are so dear to them ant spending any money in them nightclubs

well what I can see is that publicity like this will do more harm to Galway then any pub closing. the points being made are awful. students wont come to Galway to study in our colleges because its not an anti social city?? amm maybe we don't want them type students anyway. ie rag week 2012. i m sure other students will take them courses and spend there money in better ways. Tourists will still come to Galway but now they can walk the streets Monday to Thursday without little country students left out without mammy for the first time. the weekend still wont be affected. anyways any pub can stay open till 2 Monday to Thursday one they have an exemption which is very easy to get. why arnt they getting them because the students that are so dear to them ant spending any money in them nightclubs

Without student spending job losses in Galway will be immense. Galway depends on students more than any other city in Ireland.

And if you had actually read the thread it is clear the nightclubs ARE forking out the money for expemtions but the law in Galway still states they must close at 1.

You registered just to post that load of sh*te?

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭IsThisIt???

i m sure other students will take them courses and spend there money in better ways. Tourists will still come to Galway but now they can walk the streets Monday to Thursday without little country students left out without mammy for the first time. the weekend still wont be affected.

Welcome to boards!! First post includes a wonderful generalization like that.

And in all fairness, what "better ways" will these other students spend there money that would come even close to the amount spent on nightlife in Galway??

Jobs are going to be lost and hours cut if this is kept up and the student nights out are going to be replaced by parties in residential areas that can run all night since there is no time limit on them!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

I genuinely find it hard to believe that the Judge Garavan ruling still stands today, how far out of touch are these people with modern social scene? Christ, I'm sure even 10/20 years ago his opinion would have been outdated. Honestly, the mind boggles when I read some of his quotes, priests wouldn't come out with that shít.. It reminds me of a story my old teacher used to tell me back in secondary school, about some bishop back in the 60's, how he would go out on the town and tell any young girl, whose clothes he deemed unacceptable, to go home and change, and of course the girls couldn't refuse because of the power and influence the Catholic Church had at the time. Only in Ireland, eh? You'd think we'd have moved on from this narrow-minded horseshít by now.. If a protest was organised about this, I'd have no problem joining it, and that's saying something, I'm about as lazy a fcuker as you'd come across :pac:

Has the current judge released any statement on this yet?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Has the current judge released any statement on this yet?

Why would he/she?

It won't be an issue for them for a few more weeks when the exemptions need to be renewed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

THFC wrote: »
    Only in Ireland, eh?
    Indeed! Where else would the gravest injustice imaginable be the restriction of one's drinking hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Ray Burkes Pension

How can you post in this thread at this stage without knowing what is actually going on.

Nightclubs and pubs in Galway can only open with 1am during the week with an exemption that costs £410 per night.
    The law of the land enacted by a govenment we all elected states that Nightclub and Pubs with the exemption don't have to stop serving until 2:30am.
    The law in Galway brought in by an unelected now now dead Judge means the maximum Galway clubs and pubs can stop serving at is 2am at weekends and 1am during the week.

Ultimately this is one law for 9-5 monday to friday workers and another law for the underclasses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

So these excemptions are reviewed at the start of every month? Can the bye-law be changed by the judge then? How has this not been changed since 2000, that quote from Garavan is absolutely ridiculous!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

_Puma_ wrote: »
    But back to the point above why on earth was a law like this ever be allowed put in place by some judge who is obviously out of touch with modern Galway and couldn't give a flying f*%£ about tourism or how a modern city runs. Have really lost all faith in the Judicial system in this country what with the spate of Suspended Sentences being handed out lately!

Back then nobody gave a crap about tourism in Galway as far as I could see. We became above it. We went from pandering to tourists, being all about
    being friendly and having the craic. To being cosmopolitan. Or maybe that's just my interpretation. Places like Westport kept the Tourist friendly attitude.

isn't Ireland a Democratic Republic? We don't get a vote on everything. Like that arsehole Sherlock trying to get a ministerial order in place for internet laws. Not a true Democracy
    Thank you very much for that great link to The Examiner archive lovefestguy.

Judge Garavan’s illogical rant sounds like something from Father Ted, a John B. Keane play or a newspaper court report from the 19th century. And it looks as if the ‘respectable young men’ who could not pull in nightclubs, but who could whisper in the judge’s ear, are ultimately responsible for the sorry state we are now in. :rolleyes:

That illogical rant combined with the saber rattling of an airhead new garda superintendent has put Galway on the same slippery slope that buried Salthill nightlife 20 years ago. At least the superintendent who was in the job before her had the ‘cop-on’ to realise that Galway depends on tourism for a substantial portion of it’s wealth.

Soooo…let's make the place poorer... let’s lose Galway’s hard won reputation as the best place to visit in Ireland for a great night out… let’s lose jobs in the hospitality trade right in the middle of a recession…let’s turn the city into a sleepy backwater where very few go out at night…
    so that the new superintendent can massage her ‘drunk and disorderly’ statistics downwards.

You could not make it up !!!

:mad:

Massage the drunk and disorderly figures? As in reduce them? Is that a bad thing? Every drunk getting into trouble or going to A&E is costing a lot of money too. Something does have to be done. I don't think closing an hour early is the right thing though. Unfortunately in Ireland, educating people about the dangers of alcohol is pointless, it's too ingrained into the culture. Drink driving is way down because cops cracked down. If cops cracked down on drunk and disorderly and the courts handed down heavy fines and counselling we might curtail the problem a bit over time. But again that's at a huge cost to the tax payers
    I live in Cork and it is certainly widely known about all over the country, thanks of course to facebook.

I know a LOT of students pick Galway because of the nightlife, a lot of degrees like commerce, general science or engineering could be done in any college in the country but Galway is reknown for having a fantastic social life and thats why many people choose it.

A bit to the extreme there but I get your point. The way 1st year - 3rd year students behave in the city is crazy. Not all of them but a lot. I could get students going to the college bar for 2 or 3 once in a blue moon but the way students go out 2,3,4 times a week is nuts. It's a destructive behavior that in the long run will have a negative impact on the economy because these people will turn into drunks or get drink related illnesses or possibly even just end up with a lousy work ethic because they are being taught, you are in college, this is your birth right and entitlement to tear the arse out of the town. Drink all you want, don't worry that you won't be your sharpest for your lectures, you don't need to become an expert, you just need to be able to pass the exam and sure you can do that by cramming the last 3 weeks before the exams. Forget about the elderly people that live in or around the town or the people that live in the area that have to get up to go to work in the morning to pay the taxes that subsidize your fees and pay for some students grants.

I don't see why they couldn't tack some of the cost for the license onto entry into a nightclub or throw a 10 cent tax onto each drink sold. /rant

• Registered Users Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Thread has gone totally off topic/misinformed/silly in the last couple of pages.
    The licence is till 1 and always was. The old regime gave a bit of leeway. The new one doesn't. I don't agree with the new regime.
    However people saying students won't come to Galway because they can't go out drinking later is just pure stupid! I'm sure the mammies and daddies are paying for their children to actually learn something instead of going on the piss 4 nights a week.
    Strangely enough I can see where the new regime is coming from.

Thread has gone totally off topic/misinformed/silly in the last couple of pages.
    The licence is till 1 and always was. The old regime gave a bit of leeway. The new one doesn't. I don't agree with the new regime.
    However people saying students won't come to Galway because they can't go out drinking later is just pure stupid! I'm sure the mammies and daddies are paying for their children to actually learn something instead of going on the piss 4 nights a week.
    Strangely enough I can see where the new regime is coming from.

True so what will the reprecussions be for not upholding the law? If we're going by the letter of the law then the law was not only broken by the publicans but it was not enforced by the Galway Gardai.

There's talks of an agreement between publicans and the Gardai having been in place so they did not enforce the law. Is that acceptable that such a thing could happen without changing the law and going through the correct channels? If it's now in the interest of the people of Galway is that because with the hour difference there was anti-social behavior and danger to the people?

If so then does that mean by not enforcing the law for all those years the Gardai put the people of Galway at risk? That's a major failing. Time for widespread firings, fines etc. I want justice..to think if only the clubs closed an hour earlier that night, that car antenna those little sh!ts ripped off may still be with us :)

If you have proof of 'an agreement between the publicans and the Gardai' then fair enough.
    Otherwise the Gardai were just doing their job and dealing with priorities as they were directed.
    It appears the new regime have different priorities so the lads on the ground have to follow orders.
    Personality I would prefer if they dealt with public order as opposed to ruining things for the more mature among us but as I said I can see where the Super and Licensing Officer are coming from. They seem to have nipped things in the bud before the students arrive.
    I always give credit where credit is due and the more I think about it the more I see what they are at.
    Think Freshers Week will make up my mind.

If you have proof of 'an agreement between the publicans and the Gardai' then fair enough.
    Otherwise the Gardai were just doing their job and dealing with priorities as they were directed.
    It appears the new regime have different priorities so the lads on the ground have to follow orders.
    Personality I would prefer if they dealt with public order as opposed to ruining things for the more mature among us but as I said I can see where the Super and Licensing Officer are coming from. They seem to have nipped things in the bud before the students arrive.
    I always give credit where credit is due and the more I think about it the more I see what they are at.
    Think Freshers Week will make up my mind.

They enforce laws based on priority? What law are they not enforcing now so that they can enforce this one?

I said somebody on this thread suggested it. I don't know if there was an agreement. I don't think it would matter. The publicans and the gardai both knew the law and didn't adhere to it

• Advertisement

Wompa1 wrote: »

There's talks of an agreement between publicans and the Gardai having been in place so they did not enforce the law.

I don't see where you said somebody else said that??

By priority I mean that the previous people were more worried about the stuff goes on around Supermacs/Eyre Sq etc without thinking why it happened in the first place whereas the new lot are trying to catch it before it happens (probably in the wrong way but maybe not).
    Years ago I used to have to go in and clear out troublesome pubs in the UK. 80% of the time it worked. I've a feeling that's what the plan is with the Guards now.
    Feck ya* Wompa1. I'm actually on your side but I have a more open mind.

*not an attack on the poster just a Galway expression.

Advertisement