Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pubs in Galway closing at 1am

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Wouldn't the Gardai be better tasked with stopping kids drinking on the street? I live down the docks, and I walk though the Spanish Arch on my way home. At night, totally full of aggressive under 20s looking for a fight. Why not tackle that? Instead of sending a squad of Gardai around shutting down clubs, tackle the actual trouble on the streets.

Also, on the topic of this trying to curb drinking. Rag and Race week have a lot of people drunk during the day, being taken to hospital and being unruly. Closing a club early on a night like that doesn't make a jot of difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭bazingaboom

dmcg90 wrote: »
    Wouldn't the Gardai be better tasked with stopping kids drinking on the street? I live down the docks, and I walk though the Spanish Arch on my way home. At night, totally full of aggressive under 20s looking for a fight. Why not tackle that? Instead of sending a squad of Gardai around shutting down clubs, tackle the actual trouble on the streets.

Also, on the topic of this trying to curb drinking. Rag and Race week have a lot of people drunk during the day, being taken to hospital and being unruly. Closing a club early on a night like that doesn't make a jot of difference.

The guards are so useless about stopping kids drinking it makes me even more annoyed about what they are doing about the pubs.

I used to live at the Spanish arch and one day there were a load of young underage kids drinking at the side of the road between the museum and the Thai restaurant, they were screaming and shouting and banging on the bins and just being a nuisance late at night so I decided id see what the guards would say if I rang them so I did and after I told them what was going on her response was 'yeah so what do you want me to do?' useless bitch

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I used to live at the Spanish arch and one day there were a load of young underage kids drinking at the side of the road between the museum and the Thai restaurant, they were screaming and shouting and banging on the bins and just being a nuisance late at night so I decided id see what the guards would say if I rang them so I did and after I told them what was going on her response was 'yeah so what do you want me to do?' useless bitch

What is needed for everyone from 15-50 is an ASBO type system that sentences perpetrators or drunken ASB (along with their parents if aged under 18) to a saturday or 10 spent in the orange jumpsuit on cleanup duties in the areas where Anti Social behaviour occurs...eg Eyre Square.

For now all the guards do is bring useless drunk teenagers home to their useless parents. one county councillor has even had 3 of his sprogs delived home by the Guards at various times and could do with carrying out some social work by way of recompense.

If the feral scum from Salthill park ( right beside the cop station) and the Spanish Arch were threatened with orange jump suits in broad daylight they would cop on quick. Right now there is no punishment for anti social behaviour...none. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

The point the anti-drink holy Joes/reformed alcoholics/misery guts/party poopers seem to be missing is that this ridiculous local law, clearly shown to be based on senile ramblings of a dead judge, puts Galway at a disadvantage as a tourist destination, compared to other Irish urban centres.

In this case ‘the law is an ass’ and the stupid cow who suddenly decides to enforces it needs to be quickly moved on to somewhere like the Garda station in Belmullet, where she can do less damage to the local economy.

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    What is needed for everyone from 15-50 is an ASBO type system that sentences perpetrators or drunken ASB (along with their parents if aged under 18)

Why 15-50 as a matter of interest? :confused:

This thread seems to be going a bit off topic.. Scummers drinking on the streets and abusing people is a totally different matter than pubs closing at 1am!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Rob a bank banned for not managing to keep it civil. Please try to keep discussion on good level from here on, getting a point across without resorting to bad language shouldn't be that difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭popepaisley1

if anyone can remember the heineken groove weekenders that used to come to galway then you will remember the gardaí ability to all of a sudden, supposedly randomly, start enforcing archaic laws. back in the mid to late 90's,for a few years anyway, there were some pretty decent bands and dj's coming to galway for this yearly knees up festival. anyway, one year, just before the heineken weekender came to galway, judge garavan decided that niteclubs, who were obliged to give their patrons a 'substantial meal', were being negligent in their duties. he brought in a ruling that all clubs at i 11.30pm(or maybe 12) would have to shut their bars and turn off the music for 30 minutes so their customers could get their meal. i remember being at fat boy slim in the gpo the look of disbelief on people from dublin and cork and, well, everywhere, as the music was shut off and the bar closed, almost as soon as they had walked in the door. it was the most ludicrous of situations. the meal itself was some curry shlop! it was well policed by the gardaí, who im sure could have been doing something more useful with their time. anyway, im pretty sure that was the end of the heineken weekenders in galway. whatever person in authority had thought up of enforcing this ridiculous law certainly did a fine job of spoiling one of the better events that regularly came to galway.
    my point being that, today, this isn't happening randomly. the gardaí are doing this for a very specific reason. maybe, as someone else pointed out, it has something to do with cuts in pay and staff and work condidtions. whatever the reason they have made their point. infact i would go as far as to say that if this is the reason then it is a gross waste of gardaí resorces, having gaurds going round to pubs checking that they close at 1am. i know alot of people here have been of the opinion that they are only enforcing the law. well how come now? were they being hugely negligent in not closing them on time before? and if there was a wink-wink agreement between them and the club and pub owners about the use of late licences, whereby they would let them flout the law and keep their establishments open late, is it right that the gaurds should be possession of that power to revert to the law, ie this ridiculous early closing time, anytime they saw fit? sure they way the whole system is set up is hugely open to abuse and corruption. in this case i wouldnt say the gaurds are enforing the law but rather dictating what laws they see fit to enforce

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

^^ Have paragraphs been banned?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

if anyone can remember the heineken groove weekenders that used to come to galway then you will remember the gardaí ability to all of a sudden, supposedly randomly, start enforcing archaic laws. back in the mid to late 90's,for a few years anyway, there were some pretty decent bands and dj's coming to galway for this yearly knees up festival. anyway, one year, just before the heineken weekender came to galway, judge garavan decided that niteclubs, who were obliged to give their patrons a 'substantial meal', were being negligent in their duties. he brought in a ruling that all clubs at i 11.30pm(or maybe 12) would have to shut their bars and turn off the music for 30 minutes so their customers could get their meal. i remember being at fat boy slim in the gpo the look of disbelief on people from dublin and cork and, well, everywhere, as the music was shut off and the bar closed, almost as soon as they had walked in the door. it was the most ludicrous of situations. the meal itself was some curry shlop! it was well policed by the gardaí, who im sure could have been doing something more useful with their time. anyway, im pretty sure that was the end of the heineken weekenders in galway. whatever person in authority had thought up of enforcing this ridiculous law certainly did a fine job of spoiling one of the better events that regularly came to galway.
    my point being that, today, this isn't happening randomly. the gardaí are doing this for a very specific reason. maybe, as someone else pointed out, it has something to do with cuts in pay and staff and work condidtions. whatever the reason they have made their point. infact i would go as far as to say that if this is the reason then it is a gross waste of gardaí resorces, having gaurds going round to pubs checking that they close at 1am. i know alot of people here have been of the opinion that they are only enforcing the law. well how come now? were they being hugely negligent in not closing them on time before? and if there was a wink-wink agreement between them and the club and pub owners about the use of late licences, whereby they would let them flout the law and keep their establishments open late, is it right that the gaurds should be possession of that power to revert to the law, ie this ridiculous early closing time, anytime they saw fit? sure they way the whole system is set up is hugely open to abuse and corruption. in this case i wouldnt say the gaurds are enforing the law but rather dictating what laws they see fit to enforce

Hahaha... That's funny. Guards acting as mammies, making sure everyone ate their 'meals'

".... and there'll be no more beer for you until you finish your curry " :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3 joebloggs1981

If you have proof of 'an agreement between the publicans and the Gardai' then fair enough.
    Otherwise the Gardai were just doing their job and dealing with priorities as they were directed.
    It appears the new regime have different priorities so the lads on the ground have to follow orders.
    Personality I would prefer if they dealt with public order as opposed to ruining things for the more mature among us but as I said I can see where the Super and Licensing Officer are coming from. They seem to have nipped things in the bud before the students arrive.
    I always give credit where credit is due and the more I think about it the more I see what they are at.
    Think Freshers Week will make up my mind.

You summed it all up there ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Spefa91

Okay let me just say this

I work in a night club in limerick. Luckily for me there is a pub downstairs so i start work a little earlier than people in other clubs.

So .. imagine if they were to bring this rule into limerick ... all of our hours will be cut,( they have been cut badly enough as it is)

This stupid 1 o clock busines just means theres gonna be trouble at one instead of 2. And people like me are going to loose there jobs.

Galways known for its great nightlife, which now means that people are not going to bother paying to go to the night club for a ****ing hour there for nightclub looses money equals people loosing jobs.

Less open hours = Less People flocking to Galway= less money for Galway = People getting laid off = no Jobs = guards have **** all to do = guards hours getting cut = karma.

Plus the big one...i work in a nightclub in LIMERICK. A city overruned by assholes and scumbags. Theres ALWAYS trouble. Im from Galway, and trust me LIMERICKS ****ING WORSE. The crowd in Galway is always known to be that bit more friendly. The crowd in limerick are very groupy & hostile...and im not on about scumbags, if your anyway different looking here ...your considered weird.(oh yeah!..they pull your hair to get your attention at the counter!)The guards up there cant handle **** there being absolute pussys cos they are not used to trouble. They are lazy .. The gardai in Limerick are absolute legends... working there asses off dealing with drunk idiots and scumbags all in the one go... so my opinion on it all is the Guards need a kick in the hole. They chose that occupation , expect some trouble ps ignore my crap spelling!! i am wrecked and fare well im now off to work to deal with more of limericks finest drunken idiots.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Look, people are forgetting the whole point here, especially publicans with their frankly risible threat that millins of valuable jobs do be lost and that the guards will have to deal with house parties.

20 years ago most drink was sold 'on', therefore problems emerged from pubs where the drink was consumed. Licencing pubs and enforcing same were a proxy for 'controlling drink' and drink related behaviour.

Nowadays most drink is sold 'off' , publicans do contribute to 'topping up' already drunk people who drink at home before going out but publicans can no longer be fingered as the cause of drunken behaviour. In fact those who drink in pubs are the least of societys worries.

The likes of Supervalu in Fr Griffin Road with their shelf full of Buckfast mounted at eye level nearly at the front door are far more culpable than any pub I can think of.

So really what is needed is a solution to anti social behaviour arising from drink such as putting them in orange jumps suits to clean the streets and starting at 15 ...not 18. Anti social behaviour linked with drink starts much earlier than it used to nowadays. Deal with it earlier.

Licencing enfocement and closing pubs earlier is pointless and will solve nothing. Most problems are generated outside pubs and the consequences ( eg heavy under age drinking) are not being dealt with at all.

Most of the scum that show up in the square at 1am were not drinking in any pub or club, they came straight there from home.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭chuky_r_law

ciano1 wrote: »
    Hahaha... That's funny. Guards acting as mammies, making sure everyone ate their 'meals'

".... and there'll be no more beer for you until you finish your curry " :p

i remember that. heres a good link worth reading:

http://www.gaelicweb.com/irishampost/year2001/03march/featured/featured11.html

its 11 years old but still very relevant

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Just to share the information:

Very well informed sources tell me that late this week the pubs that have traditionally opened just a teeny-tiny bit before 10:30am received visits from the guards, with very strict reminders about when they were allowed to open.

So at least the guards ain't being age-ist.

JustMary wrote: »

Very well informed sources tell me that late this week the pubs that have traditionally opened just a teeny-tiny bit before 10:30am received visits from the guards, with very strict reminders about when they were allowed to open.

Feck them anyway, you cant beat early drink especially on the sunday morning of a bank holiday. Have had some brilliant mornings in the one or two pubs (who will remained unnamed) who serve early.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 joebloggs1981

Spefa91 wrote: »
    Okay let me just say this

I work in a night club in limerick. Luckily for me there is a pub downstairs so i start work a little earlier than people in other clubs.

So .. imagine if they were to bring this rule into limerick ... all of our hours will be cut,( they have been cut badly enough as it is)

This stupid 1 o clock busines just means theres gonna be trouble at one instead of 2. And people like me are going to loose there jobs.

Galways known for its great nightlife, which now means that people are not going to bother paying to go to the night club for a ****ing hour there for nightclub looses money equals people loosing jobs.

Less open hours = Less People flocking to Galway= less money for Galway = People getting laid off = no Jobs = guards have **** all to do = guards hours getting cut = karma.

Plus the big one...i work in a nightclub in LIMERICK. A city overruned by assholes and scumbags. Theres ALWAYS trouble. Im from Galway, and trust me LIMERICKS ****ING WORSE. The crowd in Galway is always known to be that bit more friendly. The crowd in limerick are very groupy & hostile...and im not on about scumbags, if your anyway different looking here ...your considered weird.(oh yeah!..they pull your hair to get your attention at the counter!)The guards up there cant handle **** there being absolute pussys cos they are not used to trouble. They are lazy .. The gardai in Limerick are absolute legends... working there asses off dealing with drunk idiots and scumbags all in the one go... so my opinion on it all is the Guards need a kick in the hole. They chose that occupation , expect some trouble ps ignore my crap spelling!! i am wrecked and fare well im now off to work to deal with more of limericks finest drunken idiots.

This whole post is off the point and a pile of crap too. Limerick is also known as a great drinking city as well as Galway with thomond there tourists all over Europe enjoy nights out in limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 dont think too much

keano89 wrote: »
    I'd have no sympathy for any pub that charges over 4.40 for a pint.

and your price of 4.40 is based on what exactly? I work in the industry and all staff's hours have been reduced in the last two weeks. A statement based on price is ridiculous, unless you have taken into consideration the price each pub has paid for their kegs, their staff costs, electricity, bands, etc...
    Maybe you don't want to pay more than 4.40, there's very few pubs in the city that you'll pay less.. Unless you consider 3.00 for cheap pints is good value..

• Registered Users Posts: 6 dont think too much

evil_seed wrote: »
    The fuss being kicked up over 1 hour is crazy. That's all I have to say on the matter

You obviously don't work in the industry or have any understanding of the long term and far reaching repercussions of this.. less hours, less staff, more going to social welfare for 'our tax payers' money, less for business owners, less for suppliers and manafacturers. Need to go through the detail?!?!

...4.40, there's very few pubs in the city that you'll pay less.. Unless you consider 3.00 for cheap pints is good value..

Ahh, I'd never return anywhere that charged me that in Galway. The max I pay in 4.00, and that's at a particular "destination" pub in Shop St.

...4.40, there's very few pubs in the city that you'll pay less.. Unless you consider 3.00 for cheap pints is good value..

Ahh, I'd never return anywhere that charged me that in Galway. The max I pay is 4.00, and that's at a particular "destination" pub in Shop St.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

This thread is about the closing times only. Let's try to stay on topic.
    This is the last warning before thread is closed.

Any more uncivil comments directed towards the Super will result in a long ban.
    Do discuss, but discuss as adults.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

JustMary wrote: »

I hope Tig Coili start opening earlier just to annoy the licencing sergeant.
    Put their Market licence to good use.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭GalwayGaillimh

Considering the amount of shift workers in Galway factories, pubs should be allowed to open 24/7 if the business is about.

Si Deus Nobiscum Qui Contra Nos

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Seaneh wrote: »

Who else in town have an early license these days (utilised or not)
    The Old Forge I think?
    Richardsons?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

dloob wrote: »

Is there any way of lobbying the district court to change their mind or are judges as unaccountable as usual?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

inisboffin wrote: »

Who else in town have an early license these days (utilised or not)
    The Old Forge I think?
    Richardsons?

Taffes, Murphys for the Saturday market and a few of the Woodquay pubs for the Potato market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Quite unlikely. If the "market pubs" do that there'll likely be a Garda in them every night on exactly half past the hour to check that they've stopped serving.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭chuky_r_law

thats a very good point. if the law had been set up right from the start then we wouldn't be having this problem. just as you and i cannot decide which laws we obey, so should it be for the gardai, that they cannot pick and choose which laws they enforce. lets hope that they sort out this problem in the next few weeks and bring the late licencing laws into line with the rest of the country. and there should be a proper night club act brought in to differentiate night clubs from pubs. i can't be that hard to do, if there is a will to do it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Look, people are forgetting the whole point here, especially publicans with their frankly risible threat that millins of valuable jobs do be lost and that the guards will have to deal with house parties.

It's not just the publicans that have this fear, the SU have gotten in on the act.
    NUI Galway Students’ Union has hit out at local gardaí for their recent clampdown in opening hours in the city, saying that it is putting student jobs at risk.

The organisation has expressed concern at the recent practice of gardaí closing pubs and nightclubs at 1am will have a “negative effect” on the hundreds of part time staff employed in the sector, most of whom are students.

A petition was started by workers in the club and pubs industry last Monday night and has already collected over 3,500 signatures.

NUI Galway Students’ Union President Paul Curley said that up to 80 per cent of part-time staff in the industry are students and these jobs have now been put in danger.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

If off licenses are forced to close at 10 then I can see why pubs should be forced to close at whichever time their license requires so. Both laws are ridiculous, but I don't see any off licenses staying open serving after 10 as there can be severe fines/loss of license and I don't see why pubs/nightclubs should be treated any different. The law is the law (and its ridiculous but thats life...)

Nick

Advertisement