Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red light cameras!

Options
  • 09-08-2012 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Only found out about these the hard way, a $305 fine in the door. I had only been driving here 3 days when I done it. Can I argue this point as I was only a recent migrant? Has anyone had any success arguing these fines, and 3 points too. I was caught turning left 1.2 seconds after the light had turned from amber to red! :mad:
    I was also wondering if I have to accept it can they be put on my Irish license? I have my victorian license but as I'm only here a short time maybe I could try get them on my Irish license? Eventhough I'm fairly sure they probably have the two licenses together on their system...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

In fairness they have big signs with a camera icon on them before each monitored junction.

You won't and don't deserve to get off mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

You ran a red light. Its tough luck.
    Can someone confirm are they built in speeding cameras as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 kinggriff

Sundy wrote: »
    In fairness they have big signs with a camera icon on them before each monitored junction.

You won't and don't deserve to get off mate.

True, but it's not too noticeable when your looking out for small street name signs in a new city

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

kinggriff wrote: »
    True, but it's not too noticeable when your looking out for small street name signs in a new city

If you are not happy with the infringement then you have the option of contesting it at court, you could explain your situation to the Judge.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭ellaq

Why do you want to transfer the demerits to your Irish license? Are you planning on losing more points in the next year?

The red light cameras are usually placed at the busier/higher risk intersections to deter accidents from people running red lights. There are signs warning that there is a camera in place. My husband was caught running a red light at an intersection that didn't have a camera, he was caught by an undercover police car.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Maybe go to court and explain that in Ireland up to five cars are allowed to go through a light after it has turned Red. You just assumed the law was the same in Australia.

Of course I am joking, but it's one of the things which really annoyed me when driving in Ireland. Quite a few times I have almost been hit by someone running a red there. Red Light Cameras there would make a fortune for Revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Only found out about these the hard way, a $305 fine in the door. I had only been driving here 3 days when I done it. Can I argue this point as I was only a recent migrant?
    You can, but I am sure the counter agruement is that you should learn the Australian rules of road before you drive.
    Has anyone had any success arguing these fines, and 3 points too. I was caught turning left 1.2 seconds after the light had turned from amber to red! :mad:
    You broke a red light, school of tough love I am afraid
    I was also wondering if I have to accept it can they be put on my Irish license? I have my victorian license but as I'm only here a short time maybe I could try get them on my Irish license?
    If you have a Victorian licence you can only drive on that. It is illegal to drive on an Irish licence if you have a Aussie one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭GalwayKiefer

Take it on the chin op and learn from it. Lot's of unmarked vans with speed guns around too, though if you listen to the radio they usually tell you where they are in the traffic segment of the news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Only found out about these the hard way, a $305 fine in the door. I had only been driving here 3 days when I done it. Can I argue this point as I was only a recent migrant? Has anyone had any success arguing these fines, and 3 points too. I was caught turning left 1.2 seconds after the light had turned from amber to red! :mad:
    I was also wondering if I have to accept it can they be put on my Irish license? I have my victorian license but as I'm only here a short time maybe I could try get them on my Irish license? Eventhough I'm fairly sure they probably have the two licenses together on their system...
    I will have to check all this up but yes they will be able to see that you have a Victorian Licence. Your name and DOB will not change. They should create a licence number for you if you are not the holder of one.

1.2secs is a fair distance to break a light by. I would be well into the intersection on the opposing side (I have a bit of a lead foot recently).

Believe me if you present an Irish licence (while the holder of a vic one) to a Copper expect a very angry copper to return to the car.

Its an easy mistake to make when driving in a new city but be careful you have 12 Pionts in a three year Period.

So if you got this on 01/06/2012 By 01/06/15 it will be cleared.

Be very mindful of Speeding excess speed tickets can carry a immediate suspension of licence.

Lesson learned and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭karl bracken

You think thats unfortunate i was in NZ last year doing 115 in Canterbury on a straight that went on for miles and was fined 120.

The worst part was i was only in NZ 2 hours at the time!

I genuinely thought the speed limit was 120 as i said to the cop and all he said was you should know the rules b4 you drive which was a fair point. Lets just say he wasnt a very nice cop, but couldnt give me points because it was my Irish license, i paid the fine i would like to go back to NZ some day...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

You think thats unfortunate i was in NZ last year doing 115 in Canterbury on a straight that went on for miles and was fined 120.

The worst part was i was only in NZ 2 hours at the time!

I genuinely thought the speed limit was 120 as i said to the cop and all he said was you should know the rules b4 you drive which was a fair point. Lets just say he wasnt a very nice cop, but couldnt give me points because it was my Irish license, i paid the fine i would like to go back to NZ some day...
    Thats about 5 AUD not to bad a result?

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭karl bracken

Bout $100 Aus at the time i think, i had other ideas of posting the fine back to him with a nice note :D but thought it better to pay it!

Advertisement