Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rockery problem

Options
  • 09-08-2012 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭

Other than shooting, drowning or strangeling is there any way to stop a cat from fouling a rockery.
    I have tried all the pet solutions available in garden shops, pepper, jayes fluid and nothing seems to work.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

http://www.toys.ie/SnapIt-Renegade-!116005-prd.aspx

Something similar to the above is your best bet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

An actual cat litter tray and cat litter perhaps??

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭kynzvart

I sympathize with you I have the same problem I have tried everything and nothing seems to work,you stop them from going in one spot and they move to somewhere else in the garden.Its disgusting my little granddaughter likes to help me in the garden and I dont want her touching it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Paddy147's idea is the only thing that works and if you have a cat in your garden then it will see it as its territory and keep others out, a cat litter is easier to clean than rockery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭rje66

practice wrote: »
    Other than shooting, drowning or strangeling is there any way to stop a cat from fouling a rockery.
    I have tried all the pet solutions available in garden shops, pepper, jayes fluid and nothing seems to work.
    Put gravel on rockery around plants and stones as you would see in botanical gardens etc. And this should help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭fiacha

My mother swears by Eucalyptus oil sprayed over the flower beds. More info here.

I tried it around the ambush spots used by cats to get at the birds n my garden. It has been doing the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

practice wrote: »

Cats being very intelligent creatures are attracted to any areas with loose surface soil for reasons that should be all too obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Someone told me the other day that they've stopped cats using their flower beds by using pine cones as a kind of mulch.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

a splash of water would work but then of course you would have to be watching the cat to catch him/her..have you tried the plastic bottle full of water. Just fill the bottle with water and leave it there and it deters animals from using the area as a toilet. or you could put one of those sensor activated gnomes or something there might scare the cat off

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭arandale

Practice, there is a plant you can get its called cat shoo (Celeus Canina ). Keep it potted and move around the garden as required.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

This link - http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/grapevine/weeds-pests-diseases/coleus-canina-scaredy-cat-plant-do-they-work_40022.html doesn't fill me with hope about that. I've the same problems with cats in the back and neighbours dog that likes to leave gifts on our driveway :(
    I tried that blue gel stuff and while it did seem to keep the animals away for a few days it gave off a horrible sickly garlicky stench that would keep humans away too never mind cats and dogs. And the problem came back once the rain washed it away anyhow.

My next great idea is to grow some garlicky chives which apparently they don't like either..but I am not really counting on success, oh well at least we can eat them if the cats don't pay them any attention!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Advertisement