Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is it possible to have a job you enjoy?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

I dont know if Ill enjoy it forever, but Im taking a year out of studying my chosen career. I loved going to college everyday, I love studying, and its a really rewarding career that i can honestly see myself enjoying going to work everyday!

Hope I can still say that in 20 years!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Eden3

Ive a job I enjooy ('o' keeps sticking, sorry) - because Im a newcomer Im sure nooo one wants to know - but Im happy:). Will be accepted as a 'pooster' when Ive a thousand posts ... I will work away here post-wise ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

Eden3 wrote: »
    Ive a job I enjooy ('o' keeps sticking, sorry) - because Im a newcomer Im sure nooo one wants to know - but Im happy:). Will be accepted as a 'pooster' when Ive a thousand posts ... I will work away here post-wise ....

Im so immature, I actually laughed out loud at that :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

IZEVAL wrote: »
    Slut whose job is being a prostitute I assume..

..oh wait all prostitutes are angelic young women who wished for a better life in another country only to be lured in by an evil pimp with a fake hotel job and used as sex slaves by the evil, evil gender that is men :mad: :rolleyes:

I assume the thanks for this post are ironic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Eden3 wrote: »
    Yup, work away with the edit function, and the delete button in the meantime, and a dash of wd40 for the o button. Gotta do the work, the works not gettin done.:D

syndeyfife wrote: »
    Im so immature, I actually laughed out loud at that :pac:

Hey, if I make even one person smile - that's great:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

Easy to become a games tester? :eek:

What's the pay like, sign me up! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Hey folks, I've been having some doubts over myself and work lately. I'm 23 and luckily have always been working, nothing serious but i've always had some form of work. Lately I've been thinking about a career and a job that I might actually enjoy doing but I cant seem to find anything. And thinking about it, I've sort of hated every job I've ever had to date. I've done bar work, security, construction and lately I got myself a job in the kitchen of an award winning restaurant thinking I would enjoy cooking but I hate every second of it. So I'm just wondering am I just not cut out for working or does everyone else hate their jobs aswell or have the jobs I've had so far been just plain s***?

Yup your jobs sucked.

Lets see:
    Bar work: High pressure
    Security: boring and monotonous
    Construction: Strenuous physical work
    Kitchen: High pressure

Try looking for work that doesn't include the negatives above.

I'm my own boss and loving it. Maybe try setting up your own business?

Pottler wrote: »
    Yup, work away with the edit function, and the delete button in the meantime, and a dash of wd40 for the o button. Gotta do the work, the works not gettin done.:D

Way ahead of you - just kidding to see a reaction ... easy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭hoochis

Colmustard wrote: »
    HUH what stigma.

Farming carries a social stigma with it I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

Pooottler's spoot ooon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

hoochis wrote: »
    Im farming full time and honestly, I love the job but hate the stigma that has attached! Even culchies have it in for farmers now! Awaiting ban from After Hours!

My mate is a beef farmer, he hates farmers that grow stuff (whatever the hell they're called). So even farmers hate other farmers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭bhamsteve

dd972 wrote: »
    I'm in the same dilemma, I recently quit a job I hated and because I've hated all the jobs I've done so far, I actually find not working to be better for my self esteem and mental health, actually wondering if it might be better to not work given the unhappiness I encounter when I'm in these lousy jobs, I'm fully aware that most folk would rather win the lotto and be sat by the beach, however the stress and depression I experience in offices and call centre's far outstrips the mere 'not wanting to be in work' feeling.

I found menial office jobs and call center jobs to be the most soul destroying ways to spend a week, really saps your mental energy and involves too much sitting on your arse.
    I'd say if you have no useable qualifications and are not in a position to study/ learn them at the moment at least manual labor will be a bit less tedious if you're working with a good crowd or can listen to a sneaky walkman.
    Life is too short to waste in miserable jobs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭annie.t

I spend my day messing around with big machines, buying expensive stuff, doing stuff people stand around and watch while we are at it -like smashing down large structures and getting to hang out with interesting people. I actually love going to work, say it quietly, but I'd do it for free as it what I'd like to be doing if I had to do somthing. It never really feels like work tbh and the pays rather good.:) Most other people think it looks awfully hard, but it's my idea of fun. I actually hate taking holidays, works more fun.

Who are you: Jeremy, Richard or James? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭hoochis

Cienciano wrote: »
    My mate is a beef farmer, he hates farmers that grow stuff (whatever the hell they're called). So even farmers hate other farmers

Oh I hate those b***ards too. I dont know how they can even call themselves farmers!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

Farming carries a social stigma with it I guess.

I never knew of one, they are hard working self employed people who get paid by the EU.

Seriously what social stigma does it carry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭BetterCallSaul

I've loved my BSc and MSc, does this mean I will love my job? probably not, but here's hoping :D. The way things are I will be very happy to get a job come September.

Worked in a call centre on my year out, every single person in the place absolutely hated it. That is one job I will never do again, I was starting to lose faith in the human race at the end of it :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Oh I hate those b***ards too. I dont know how they can even call themselves farmers!

Yeah, a days work is driving around a field making sure the cattle are still there, then off to the pub for lunch. They have it handy. :D

Advertisement