Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish in Perth on verge of "homelessness"...

Options
  • 09-08-2012 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭

Just came across this on "Irish Around Perth" Facebook page...:rolleyes:

The Claddagh Association of Western Australia has assisted Irish people during times of crisis and trauma since 1997 throughout Western Australia. In the past few months there has been an unprecedented increase in the number of requests for assistance and Claddagh is struggling to meet this need.

Claddagh is increasingly encountering newly arrived Irish who have run out of funds and are at risk ...of homelessness. Many of these people have travelled here on a one-way ticket and their families at home in Ireland are unable to help them due to their own financial difficulties. Although there has been much talk of a skills shortage here in WA, these people are reporting difficulties in finding work. Sometimes it can take weeks to find a job and Perth is a very expensive city meaning people spend their savings quickly. In addition, the record high value of the dollar is another part of the problem - people are getting very little dollar for their euro.

Claddagh is extremely worried about this growing trend and is urging the Irish community here in WA to please spread this message to their family and friends at home. It is very important that those Irish who are planning to come to Perth realise what may lie ahead and plan and budget accordingly.

If you are one of those people experiencing financial hardship, Claddagh is here to help. Claddagh has very limited funds and will only give financial assistance (never cash) in strict circumstances. However Claddagh will support you by providing information on other charities which provide emergency relief such as food. Claddagh is made up of an entirely voluntary committee so please only contact us if you are in genuine financial hardship.

The funds Claddagh uses to help people in crisis solely comes from fundraising. Claddagh is endorsed by the Australian Taxation Office as a Deductible Gift Recipient and therefore donations over $2 are tax deductible for the donor. If you would like to make a donation or for further information on this issue please email support@claddagh.org.au

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Are you stupid?
    Have you flown halfway round the world without planning anything properly?
    Want free stuff?

Then simply give us a call and we'll bail you out yet again.

Who moves to Aus without the required cash or plans? seriously...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

You mean the streets AREN'T paved with gold over there? :eek:

You don't step straight off the plane into a limo that takes you to your beach-side condo to drop off your bags and waits outside to take you to your highly paid beer-tasting job in the morning? :eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

Remember when backpackers use to throw any ole ABN number in for their second year visa and they would get it approved?

Immigration cracked down on that and now every second 2nd year WHV application is checked.

I foresee this issue changing immigrations stance upon initial entry, I reckon in the not too distant future, every WHV holder entering AU will be required to prove the funds requirement as I know so many who came over not fulfilling the $5k rule

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Didn't get that 100k mining job you hoping for.
    Didn't bother paying the rent in the hostel, and pissed all your money away?

What the hell is wrong with some of these guys?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Really these people should simply apply for a job rather than ask for charity, after all I thought we Irish were the superior worker*

*(well has been mentioned on here numerous times so it must be true)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

i would say its easier to end up in that predicament than you think for a few "Man children" imagine some young Tiger Cub first time away from the parish where Mammy spoilt him rotten, has no idea about paying bills or their way in life without even thinking about being responsible, said Tiger Cub ends up over in Northbridge/ Bondi/ St Kilda ect with like minded people out on the tear, next thing they are living from week to week on wages all their saving long gone, and then getting the DCM (dont come Monday) because they are wasting the employers time by acting the maggot. bills still keep on coming in the door, next thing they are out on their hole living on a couch bumming food off their mates.

Although when i was working in a Backpackers for 6 months in Cape Town i would see all Nationalities doing it so its not only confined to the Irish in Oz, with out doubt the first sign would always be stealing food from the fridge and progress to other things from there. the one thing i learnt all those years ago was that traveling is good, but not good for everybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

Thats absolute bollocks. There are so many willing families willing to take on people via wwoofing and helpx the notion of WHV holder becoming homeless while here is laughable..

Volunteer work aside, there is heaps of work in oz for anyone who
    Isn't picky

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

The Aussie wrote: »
    i would say its easier to end up in that predicament than you think for a few "Man children" imagine some young Tiger Cub first time away from the parish where Mammy spoilt him rotten, has no idea about paying bills or their way in life without even thinking about being responsible, said Tiger Cub ends up over in Northbridge/ Bondi/ St Kilda ect with like minded people out on the tear, next thing they are living from week to week on wages all their saving long gone, and then getting the DCM (dont come Monday) because they are wasting the employers time by acting the maggot. bills still keep on coming in the door, next thing they are out on their hole living on a couch bumming food off their mates.

Although when i was working in a Backpackers for 6 months in Cape Town i would see all Nationalities doing it so its not only confined to the Irish in Oz, with out doubt the first sign would always be stealing food from the fridge and progress to other things from there. the one thing i learnt all those years ago was that traveling is good, but not good for everybody.

+1

I saw it years ago in Sydney, the bloke didn't think or plan and simply ran out of cash, he was lucky because good mates carried him financially for 3 weeks until they put a word in for him and he got a job.
    I know of folk who were pretty much out of cash and worked for board in various hostels living on 2 minute noodles and the weekly 5$ goon party; hardly the great life down under.

You would be surprised by how different people cope or fail to cope with running out of cash.
    I know people who have been bailed out by their parents not once but many times and also those who simply couldn't hack it and went home before they spent even 3months here. And that's both in recent times and back in 2000.
    So I'm not really surprised at people running out of funds and not having anyone to bail them out with the recession. It would be interesting to know the demographic that is availing of the charity. Would think that a lot are young, male and unskilled.

The thing I'm wondering about is how these people are so aware of Claddagh, as far as I know they don't advertise. It was only this year I became aware of the Melbourne equivalent and that was from seeing it on a report on RTE news at Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Whats the Melbourne one ?

I recall two girls (pretty D4 Types) who after spending their substantial coming over cash . They rang home to ulster bank and got 10,000 Sterling loans each as they reckoned why waste time abroad working.

Australian Irish welfare bureau; it's in Northcote.
    Mostly oldies go to it as a social centre but they now also have a mothers group, which was what was featured on RTE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Australian Irish welfare bureau; it's in Northcote.
    Mostly oldies go to it as a social centre but they now also have a mothers group, which was what was featured on RTE

There's a AIWB in NSW, these people that helped the likes of David Keohane family when he was in hospital and also help with the fundraiser for him to return back to Ireland.

mandrake04 wrote: »
    There's a AIWB in NSW, these people that helped the likes of David Keohane family when he was in hospital and also help with the fundraiser for him to return back to Ireland.

Yes. They are a fantastic organisation. They provide so much help when really needed. The Melbourne one helped out with that young guy that drowned in Yarra, provided counseling for his mates etc. They're always looking for volunteers or anyone that can provide a pro bono service to someone in need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Other options if you're facing homelessness in Perth are the Tranby center, free showers, free breakfast, blankets, clothes, and food parcels.

Rush Centre, northbridge, this is mental health focused.

Passages Resource centre aimed at 12-25 aged group, laundry and shower.

Crisis short term accommodation:
    Women: Roah refuge.
    Men: St Bartholomews and 55 Central.

Advertisement