Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What project am I supposed to do for Leaving Cert History?

• 09-08-2012 2:44pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 531 ✭✭✭

So yeah what is the project I am supposed to do and Should I do it before September?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭JDOC1996

Do you do this project in 5th year or 6th year?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 531 ✭✭✭fontdor

JDOC1996 wrote: »
    Do you do this project in 5th year or 6th year?

got no idea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

It's like a structured essay, and most do it during 6th Year. Some schools make you pick your subject in 5th Year so you can research it over the summer.

You can pick anything/anyone with "historical significance", but not huge events like WW2. Most people pick certain events or smaller personalities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Sooner you get it done the better.

It is highly recommended to pick something in local history, the Chief Examiner's report tends to stress it every year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

Sooner you get it done the better.

Agreed, get it done in 5th Year if you can at all! Start researching stuff before going into 5th Year too if you can, you'll be delighted you did a small bit of work on it during the summer when you manage to get the project out of the way nice and early.
    It is highly recommended to pick something in local history, the Chief Examiner's report tends to stress it every year.

Yes! My project wasn't great really, I was fairly lazy, and eventually managed to fill up the booklet, but it was local history and I got 95%. (I lost the last 5 marks in the 10 mark review at the end - I was probably sick of it by then and didn't make as much of an effort with that.) I'm not sure why I did so well overall, it was definitely well-written as an essay because I was very good at English, but I don't think that matters too much!

Just pick something specific, and make it local if you can. I could barely get enough sources for mine, it was such a small event, but it was definitely a good choice in the end.

And do the project well, it's worth 20%. I got a D overall, and would've failed if it wasn't for the project. It's very easy to get 90%+ in it if you do the work, so don't be lazy about it like I was until the latter end of 6th Year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 katierab

I recommend you start the project as soon as possible. There is a lot to be done when you get into 6th Year and you don't realise how little time you will have. The last thing you want to do is rush it and stress over it.

Pick something you have an interest in. (Eg. if you like Irish History do a project on some aspect of Irish history). The project is a great way of being able to write about what you want to rather than what's on the syllabus.

Make sure you have 3 good sources (higher level) and note the strengths and weaknesses of each source. Ask your teacher to correct drafts and help you if you need it.

I started my project over the summer last year and it meant when I started 6th Year I didn't have to worry about the project and meeting deadlines because most of it was already done.

It's worth putting an effort into the project as it's 20% of the overall exam and you have no excuse not to get the 20% because you have enough time to put in the work.

Make sure you pick something interesting... It will make life so much easier!! :)

Hope this helps and good luck in the exams!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

if you dont already know a lot about your chosen topic id start researching and taking notes just pic something your interested in i did it on the start of the war of independence

Can I do it on anything or does it have to be a topic from the book we did? For example I was thinking about doing about the 1979 Iranian Revolution?

ya i think that would be ok my friend did hers about the war in cyprus

ya i think that would be ok my friend did hers about the war in cyprus

So it doesn't have to be a topic from what we done? Cuz a friend of mine who left 6th year said they dad to do a topic from before 1991

• Advertisement

there is a date but thats all you can do anything within the dates

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

As laoch said, it does have to be before ~1990, but it doesn't have to be something specifically on your course / in the books.

As I mentioned further up, for example, they strongly encourage people to pick a local history topic and such topics often have only tenuous (if any) relationship to events directly dealt with on the course.

Advertisement