Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden bugs

Options
  • 09-08-2012 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

I have lots of herbs growing in pots on my patio, but the are being eaten alive by something. Under the leaves of my mint for instance there are white eggs.
    So here are my questions: What could this be? How do I best treat naturally and how long after treatment can I use the herbs in cooking?
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Without a photo its hard to say. Greenfly or some other aphid or spider mite is the most likely pest, but if they are being eaten then it is probably some sort of caterpillar.

For things like mint, basil, parsley and other quick growing herbs I suggest you pick off the entire sprig that is infested. Carefully save the cuttings and wrap them up and put in the refuse bin, don't leave them lying around. Pick off any caterpillars and destroy. You could also make up soapy water (washing up liquid) and either swish the plants tops in it or spray from a small sprayer, making sure you get under the leaves.

Any of these methods you can continue to use the herbs no problem. If you decide to use an insecticide then you will have to check on the container how long before you can eat the plants, I would suggest that this is a last resort.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭DAWNRISER

Excellent, I will post some pics later.
    The eggs I found were on my mint plant only, which is odd. The rest seem ok.

I will try the washing up liquid and see how that goes, I dont want to go down the insecticide route as I have cats I the garden.

Many thanks.

Oh, while I'm at it, any tips for growing Basil and tomatoes? I have lots of yellow flowers on the tomato plants but only a few small green tom's.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

half my basil failed this year due to damping off and it still remains to see how the other half planted later will do.

Tomatoes take a good while to go from flower to red fruit, up to 2 months. I give mine a hand with a light spray of water onto the flowers to help the pollenation.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭DAWNRISER

I am such an amateur, so frustrating. But I will get there. I will try spraying the tom flowers. Also I have some cheap and cheerful "euro store" feeder... should I feed something else?
    I have a tub of chicken manure ???

Advertisement