Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cooking a 1kg ham..

Options
  • 09-08-2012 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭

Its in plastic wrapping what's the best way to boil or cook a 1kg ham I'm afraid it will fall apart if left in water??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

It depends on the packaging. Some hams come with a plastic 'sleeve' that you can leave on the ham when boiling (simmering). Others will say "Remove all packaging" - check what yours says.

One way or another - don't boil the bejaysus out of it. A gentle simmer will do fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I used to boil it but the sleeve does tend to work its way off in the water. Last time I put it in my slow cooker with a half glass of Coke and turned it over half way through the cooking time. It tasted really good and kept its shape so I'll be doing it that way in future.
    I don't tend to bake ham unless it's a full sized one, but I'm sure you could do a smaller one if you kept it covered - otherwise it might dry out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

I do this regularly. It does come apart a bit unless its in a plastic sleeve, but if it has none, you could be traditional and tie it with string.

I put some chopped carrot, onion and apple at the bottle of a casserole pot with some garlic cloves, a bay leave, herbs, and black pepper.

I place the ham on top and add water, white wine or a mixture. Not too much,
    you don't need to cover it. It will steam nicely. Make sure that the lid is tightly on, or use tin foil to ensure a good seal and cook in the oven at 160 degrees for 90 minutes, or maybe 2 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

I used to boil it but the sleeve does tend to work its way off in the water. Last time I put it in my slow cooker with a half glass of Coke and turned it over half way through the cooking time. It tasted really good and kept its shape so I'll be doing it that way in future.
    I don't tend to bake ham unless it's a full sized one, but I'm sure you could do a smaller one if you kept it covered - otherwise it might dry out.

Really? What does that do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭marvsins

aidan24326 wrote: »
    Really? What does that do?

Ham and coke has been popular a while now. Heres a thread on it http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=69179509

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

marvsins wrote: »
    Ham and coke has been popular a while now. Heres a thread on it http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=69179509

Interesting. I'd never heard of that before.

Advertisement