Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grid 2

• 09-08-2012 3:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,115 ✭✭✭✭

The first one was fantastic, had the right amount of realism against the right amount of arcade. One of a few racing games where i kept playing. Looking forward to this.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,862 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I was looking forward to it but Codemasters said that because of the low number of people who use Cockpit view, they won't have Cockpit View in the game.

I usually play external view on racing games but since Shift 2, I have become hooked on the cockpit and them leaving it out puts me right off this.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,742 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

grid was on of the best racers, i had good fun online with it. i can live without the cockpit view , if it means more time spent on the rest of the game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

sheehy83 wrote: »
    I was looking forward to it but Codemasters said that because of the low number of people who use Cockpit view, they won't have Cockpit View in the game.

I usually play external view on racing games but since Shift 2, I have become hooked on the cockpit and them leaving it out puts me right off this.

are they droping?! **** that so... cockpit view is the best thing about racing games!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Very excited about Grid 2. Destruction Derby better feature! Grid was an amazing game - went back and played it after I saw the Announcement Trailer and it's still fun.

🤪

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Codemasters bowing to the arcade crowd yet again, no surprise at all.
    had the right amount of realism

Are you for real mate?
    It had zero realism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,115 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Dcully wrote: »
    Are you for real mate?
    It had zero realism.

It had great car models, decent damage, great looking tracks, and the right balance of realistic and arcade handling. It also had an alright rival aspect and sponsorships like in real life. Granted, it's no Forza or GT, but at least i didn't get bored senseless half way through this.

It had great car models, decent damage, great looking tracks, and the right balance of realistic and arcade handling. It also had an alright rival aspect and sponsorships like in real life. Granted, it's no Forza or GT, but at least i didn't get bored senseless half way through this.

I wouldnt exacly put forza or GT into the realism category either mate.

Dcully wrote: »
    I wouldnt exacly put forza or GT into the realism category either mate.

That is their intention though. What are the realistic racing games in your opinion, just so we can compare. :D

Ya lads these are still games. GT and Forza are the Realistic simulators and NFS are arcadey. I know there are more realistic sim driving games out there but there is a point when you would just be better off getting into your car and going for a spin.

I see Grid 1 going well cheap these days. I think I finished it before but wouldn't mind given it a go again.

That is their intention though. What are the realistic racing games in your opinion, just so we can compare. :D

iracing,rfactor,GTR series,GPL,LFS,Netkar etc

Dont get me wrong, forza etc are decent and do indeed strike a nice balance for casual racers just nowhere near the realism of iracing etc for those into hardcore realism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I like Grid, it was fun but I've since started playing sims which kind of ruins these games, they become far to easy and lack any real depth in the actual driving of the cars. The realism in games like Kart Race Pro is so deep you can spend hours on one track in one particular kart and have a constantly changing experience that you don't want to walk away from until your arms go weak (if you've a FFB wheel).

I wouldn't mind to much, I'm not a fan of cockpit view I like to sit on the bonnet. When your driving a car in real life that's really your view, you drown out anything inside the windscreen for the most part and only need to know where the edges of the car are.
    I know there are more realistic sim driving games out there but there is a point when you would just be better off getting into your car and going for a spin.
    Ya, a 1.6 diesel and a Ferrari are pretty much the same thing. :pac:

ScumLord wrote: »

Ya, a 1.6 diesel and a Ferrari are pretty much the same thing. :pac:

Aw you don't own a ferrari? lousy. I prefer the Lambo, the ferrari is just my day to day car really

Aw you don't own a ferrari? lousy. I prefer the Lambo, the ferrari is just my day to day car really
    I had to get rid of it, while doing 12 runs to the shop due to the tiny boot was fun it was costing way to much in fuel and it was taking ages to get the shopping done.

New teaser trailer. Everytime I hear anything about this, I get the feeling to play Shift 2. Still not sure if this will be any good or not.

New teaser trailer. Everytime I hear anything about this, I get the feeling to play Shift 2.
    Wasn't shift 2 the one where the cars just waved around weirdly even when travelling in a straight line. It didn't feel like the car was connected to the ground at all. Lovely looking but I found it completely unplayable.

I've bought NetKar Pro (€15) which will keep me occupied until assetto corsa comes out. I don't think I could go back to a simplified racing game now, the cars are too tame.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Wasn't shift 2 the one where the cars just waved around weirdly even when travelling in a straight line. It didn't feel like the car was connected to the ground at all. Lovely looking but I found it completely unplayable.

I've bought NetKar Pro (€15) which will keep me occupied until assetto corsa comes out. I don't think I could go back to a simplified racing game now, the cars are too tame.

Fairly sure I posted in that Shift 2 thread with control settings. The default settings are rubbish and really takes the game down a notch.

Either way, I'm really looking forward to Grid 2. Had plenty of laughs and craic with the lads over the years playing Grid.

Fairly sure I posted in that Shift 2 thread with control settings. The default settings are rubbish and really takes the game down a notch.
    I remember that, it didn't really do me much good though I could never find a setting that made the cars feel right.

CVG went hands on with the single player mode and I'm always interested in racing games that had some sort of a story in the background and this sounds fairly good.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/390654/previews/grid-2-single-player-is-like-gladiators-with-cars/?page=1#top_banner

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

IMO whoever thought it would be a good idea to put stories in single player racing games deserves to be shot.

TOCA Race Driver series had it. Awesome game completely let down by the idiotic story that followed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭anirishlad

What happened to toca race driver?? Played the original and absolutely loved it but you cant find it anymore :(

• Advertisement

anirishlad wrote: »
    What happened to toca race driver?? Played the original and absolutely loved it but you cant find it anymore :(

This is the spiritual successor. There were 3 TOCA Racer Drivers, then a Race Driver: Create and Race, then Race Driver: Grid, and now just Grid 2!

TBH, I rather stories more than the games, and the inclusion of a story, crap or good, will keep me playing. Prime example being the last Grid game, loved it outright. GT5 and Forza 4 bored me to tears after the initial "This game looks amazing", and the more realistic sims mentions above are a bit too real for my liking: i don't get any enjoyment out of fine tuning and tweaking, never did really. General tuning, yes, fine tuning, no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

best in game tyre smoke ever. and the damage is a1 sharon.

love grid, loved the drifting.

on my list when the cast comes off!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

IMO whoever thought it would be a good idea to put stories in single player racing games deserves to be shot.

TOCA Race Driver series had it. Awesome game completely let down by the idiotic story that followed it.

The idea that there needs to be a story in a pure racing game beyond "Win these races" is a bit baffling to me. They don't need one, people bought the game to race cars.

I like the sound of the story here though. Usually if I go to a menu, pick a track I have already raced in a specific car I might not have interest in and just decide to play it later but th whole racing league sounds like you are actually accomplising something (getting more fans, sponsors, racers) to grow the league. That would definitely keep me playing '1 more race' more than if it was mindless track racing.

Denny M wrote: »
    The idea that there needs to be a story in a pure racing game beyond "Win these races" is a bit baffling to me. They don't need one, people bought the game to race cars.
    I don't mind the stories as such, they bring a little immersion and pomp to the game. They do help fill in some of the lack of depth on track.

If it wasn't for all that extra pomp they would just be mediocre sims.

I don't mind the stories as such, they bring a little immersion and pomp to the game. They do help fill in some of the lack of depth on track.

If it wasn't for all that extra pomp they would just be mediocre sims.

From experience the storylines weren't very deep anyway. To me it was just pointless drivel and cutscenes that interrupt gameplay.

And don't get me started with tutorials! GRID had none but since the first iteration Codemasters games have got progressively worse with these unavoidable tutorials, holding your hand every step of the way until you can actually sit back and play the game for what it is.

From experience the storylines weren't very deep anyway. To me it was just pointless drivel and cutscenes that interrupt gameplay.

And don't get me started with tutorials! GRID had none but since the first iteration Codemasters games have got progressively worse with these unavoidable tutorials, holding your hand every step of the way until you can actually sit back and play the game for what it is.
    That's pretty common these days in console games. They're trying to appeal to the lowest common denominator.

On the Pc you've got the the exact opposite. You get an incredibly complicated game that just makes no logical sense and are expected to decode everything and work out how to play it. Sometimes the manual and help you get is just as complicated. Or sparse, because they just throw jargon at you expecting you to just know what their waffling on about.

Multiplayer vid showing Live track in on the Dubai course. Live Track is a feature where the course can change every race meaning it no one will ever know if a right turn or a left turn is coming up. Sounds good and could keep races fresh. Drivers making more mistakes.

Yeah been following the multiplayer aspects over the last few months. Sounds really thorough. Can't wait for it.

• Advertisement

Cheevos/Trophies announced.

Some very clever ones like

Shaken, Not Stirred - You rolled a car at least 7 times and landed on its wheels, just like Bond did (20G)

Imma Let You Finish - You amassed more fans than Taylor Swift has Twitter followers. That's 23.5 million, by the way (30G)

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/405305/grid-2-achievements-revealed/

Advertisement