Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walking Stubborn Terrier

• 09-08-2012 4:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭

Am staying with an ill family member at the moment to help out by walking their dog, but am having a problem, namel he won't walk.

I can get him out of the house and get him to the corner but once he realises that I'm not bringing him to his buddy's house to play he won't budge another step and tries to slip his collar off, which he can do as it's too big for him, he has no harness as he apparently went 'mental' when they tried one on him (obviously not introduced properly). He is free fed and has ZERO interest in treats so I can't coax him like that.

I have tried, sitting and showing no interest in him until he comes up then praising and walking, but he tries to take his collar off when he realises where I'm going. Also tried praise, jogging, swearing, and had to stop myself from trying the old 'size 6 to the arse' technique.

Has anyone ever tried carrying a dog for a bit then walking from then?

Any ideas before I sneak off to put another hole in the collar, which would get me in trouble? I know what I'd do if he were mine, but since my suggestion the other day that perhaps not feeding him sausages when he hasn't eaten his dog food would encourage him to eat what was put in front of him next time got me labelled as 'mean' and 'cruel' because he'd 'starve', I can't take anything into my own hands.

I'm used to dogs wanting to go down a favourite path, but in my experience they usually acquiesce when they realise it's not happening, this one doesn't and I refuse to be dictated to by a 10kg mutt. His lack of lead manners is appalling and if he were any larger would be a real problem.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭tazwaz

well,
    try what i did with my terrier... i carried him up the road for a mile and he'd walk back, practically run, in the direction of home... granted i looked like a fool carrying the dog on a main road but it worked... i wouldnt have tried it without the harness though cause he was a slippery little devil when it came to the collar!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Take him to the pet shop and try a cheap harness on him - if he goes mad you don't have to buy it. ;) I'd put a hole in the collar anyways to be safe. Does he like toys - most terriers I known go mad for squeaky ones so you could make try one of them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Managed to get him out for a decent walk today, and the trick was indeed a ball. It restricted us to only going to the field where ball chucking is ok, but at least he's flaked out now.

Advertisement